Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 180

Thread: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Monroe View Post
    Hey when I quit the last time which was 10 years ago, I bought some of those herbal cigarettes that have no nicotine in them and they do not satisfy at all. I still have 4 packs of them in my freezer. I pulled one out several months back cause I just felt like smoking, and although I actually enjoyed it for sentimental reasons, I got nothing physically satisfying out of it, just the blowing smoke part was kinda cool.

    I had a huge plan when I quit because I was so addicted. I knew I couldn't think straight when I needed my nicotine fix. It was a real bitch.
    I quit about 11 years ago too and I know the only real reason that I smoked was nicotine. It effected me in so many ways. I would avoid going certain places if I could not smoke meaning attending events with my kids or my wife because I didn't want to not smoke for three hours or whatever.

    Do you know of any other product that is sold in America that is ingested that carries a mandatory cancer warning on it's packaging?

  2. #162
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nashville/Little Mexico Tennessee
    Last Seen
    06-02-09 @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    523

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Monroe View Post
    Hey when I quit the last time which was 10 years ago, I bought some of those herbal cigarettes that have no nicotine in them and they do not satisfy at all. I still have 4 packs of them in my freezer. I pulled one out several months back cause I just felt like smoking, and although I actually enjoyed it for sentimental reasons, I got nothing physically satisfying out of it, just the blowing smoke part was kinda cool.

    I had a huge plan when I quit because I was so addicted. I knew I couldn't think straight when I needed my nicotine fix. It was a real bitch.
    I`ve been off the dodes for 5 years now.I think they stink like cigarettes,99.9% of the time,.1% of the time I want one.The thread was about `heart problems and second hand smoke`.So 5 years ago I had this very bad rhythem take over my heart.6 weeks into it a cardiologist told me,"quiting smokeing will do more for you than all the drugs I can give you". I quit and while it wasn`t an instant cure,when my nicotinic receptors,and GABA levels,and all the other brain chemistry leveled of I was back to semi-normal,(inthe cardio department),plus I had well over a hunert bucks left in my pocket each month.

  3. #163
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nashville/Little Mexico Tennessee
    Last Seen
    06-02-09 @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    523

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
    I quit about 11 years ago too and I know the only real reason that I smoked was nicotine. It effected me in so many ways. I would avoid going certain places if I could not smoke meaning attending events with my kids or my wife because I didn't want to not smoke for three hours or whatever.

    Do you know of any other product that is sold in America that is ingested that carries a mandatory cancer warning on it's packaging?
    In many many trades the air is loaded with carcinogenics.They are a fact of life and ingested even if you don`t wan`t to huff the stuff.This is fodder for workable environmental regs..."workable" being the operative.I worked in an electronics lab...I worked in a glass factory...I worked in construction/carpentry,etc. I knew I was safe though because the labels said "it only causes cancer in California". The EPA is one of the most ignorant/ineffecteive tyranical arms of our government(well besides FEMA,TSA,HEW,DOE and many more....). OK so heres the answer,THER IS NOW FOOLPROOF ANSWER,but we CAN do better. Our homes are some of the most toxic places on earth.Check out the cancer rates in children since the days of cotton curtains, wool rugs,and natural dyes.The oil industry makes more money on synthetics,and Chinese stuffed animals are fluffier,(I choked on my tears when I gave treatments to the bald 4 year old with the bald stuffed critter)...WE HAVE TO DO BETTER.
    Last edited by Rodney; 01-04-09 at 12:36 PM.

  4. #164
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
    Yes I do. Private property and commercial property are regulated very differently. There are a "mountain" of laws that protect the public in commercial establishments i.e. health laws about food quality, laws about cleanliness in a restaurant etc. No smoking is the same thing. It protects the public from exposure to a known carcinogen. The EPA protects America from businesses poisoning us. Smoking poisons Americans.

    Here in NYC we've had a city wide indoor smoking ban in all commercial establishments for quite a few years now and I know of no statistics that support that businesses went belly up because people couldn't smoke inside.

    I could make a strong argument that more people go to restaurants now knowing that they the air quality inside is not poisoned by someone else's carcinogen.
    The fact the state likes to interfere in private property a lot doesn't change much. This is not about secretly poisoning people, it is a quite open habit that people can choose if they want to associate with. If you don't think that people can decide this for themselves then you pretty much must give up any notion of private property, just about anything could be excused from that jumping off point.
    Last edited by Wessexman; 01-04-09 at 07:36 PM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  5. #165
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
    WOW! Are you saying that the American Lung Association, the American Cancer Society, the National Institute of Health, the EPA et al are all lying and making it all up in some sort of ponzi scheme?
    It wouldn't surprise me. In Australia there was a big fuss over binge drinking and the "scientific" group who decide on safe drinking levels(I forget there name) suddenly revised down their levels and I believe are planning to do it again soon. Science and science groups are not immune from politics.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me. In Australia there was a big fuss over binge drinking and the "scientific" group who decide on safe drinking levels(I forget there name) suddenly revised down their levels and I believe are planning to do it again soon. Science and science groups are not immune from politics.
    It wouldn't "surprise you" that the major scientific research groups in the US, most of which are non-profit are involved in a ponzi scheme to steal your money and lie to the world about cancer causing things?

    Really? Is that the side you really want to be associated with? You're saying that groups like the American Lung Association, the American Cancer Society, The National Institute of Health, Harvard Medical School, Mass General Hospital, etc. are all involved in a giant conspiracy? Really?

  7. #167
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
    It wouldn't "surprise you" that the major scientific research groups in the US, most of which are non-profit are involved in a ponzi scheme to steal your money and lie to the world about cancer causing things?
    Everyone has an agenda.

    The Facts about second hand smoke - Agendas
    Really? Is that the side you really want to be associated with? You're saying that groups like the American Lung Association, the American Cancer Society, The National Institute of Health, Harvard Medical School, Mass General Hospital, etc. are all involved in a giant conspiracy? Really?
    I'm saying they could be.

    Passive smoking is something that I've only heard about for the last five years or so, just when the anti-smoking, anti-property thugs have been campaigning and even winning(let's face it New Labour are thugs so it isn't hard.).
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  8. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    The fact the state likes to interfere in private property a lot doesn't change much. This is not about secretly poisoning people, it is a quite open habit that people can choose if they want to associate with. If you don't think that people can decide this for themselves then you pretty much must give up any notion of private property, just about anything could be excused from that jumping off point.
    I think you're wrong. It is about government protecting the people from harm whether it be militarily or health the concept and need are the same.

    I read your post and conclude that you prefer that we do not have a government at all. Is that what you mean?
    Last edited by Family Guy; 01-04-09 at 07:56 PM.

  9. #169
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
    I think you're wrong. It is about government protecting the people from harm whether it be militarily or health the concept and need are the same.

    I read your post and conclude that you prefer that we do not have a government at all. Is that what you mean?
    I
    No although my ideal gov't is mainly very local. I prefer however that some rights to private property remain and that idea that the gov't can ban this open, well known, traditional activity from bars when people can make their own choices is destroying property and can also be used as a jumping off post for just about any other invasion of property. You might as well just raise the hammer and sickle now.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    No although my ideal gov't is mainly very local. I prefer however that some rights to private property remain and that idea that the gov't can ban this open, well known, traditional activity from bars when people can make their own choices is destroying property and can also be used as a jumping off post for just about any other invasion of property. You might as well just raise the hammer and sickle now.
    How do you expect me to take you seriously when you call our government Soviet like?

    Second hand smoke kills and why should the rights of the people who are killing others be protected more than the rights of those who are the victims? Why not then allow drunken driving? Shouldn't people be allowed to do what they want and if people are stupid enough to drive knowing that a drunk driver might kill them that is their risk?

    There are many laws that protect the public from being harmed by other members of the public and banning smoking in public places is one of them and is one that I fully support. I also know that there's zero chance that these laws will ever be rescinded so I think it would be wise for people to put their energies somewhere more productive?

    I for one hope government continues to raise the cigarette taxes because it makes people stop smoking and that benefits society. Have you considered how much the cost of smoking affects all of our health care costs? It's enormous.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •