Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 180

Thread: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

  1. #91
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    How dare you lump all cigarette smokers into one group? There are courteous smokers
    There are some, no argument. I have some friends who are. However, I would say that the majority, in my experience, are not.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  2. #92
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    In a place like the U.S. where public health care is non-existent, private property owners should be able to decide if smoking is ok in their establishments or not. In Canada, I am against public smoking because tax payers pay for the health care.
    Public health care is FAR from non-existant in the United States.

    If you don't like to smoke, then don't go to a place where there is smoke. I'm against smoking and I don't support it because my line of work has shown me how dysfunctional it makes the body over time, but I am against policing people's choices in this regard.
    If people want to smoke in the privacy of their own homes, so long as they aren't affecting any one elses rights (including minor children) have at it. However, the government has a legitimate interest in protecting the health and rights of those who do not in public and public access spaces.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  3. #93
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Joby View Post
    I can see your point with government provided healthcare, and if this was the case here I wouldn't mind raising the taxes on cigarettes to cover smokers health problems.
    What about the health problems caused to NON smokers due to the poison spewed by smokers?
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  4. #94
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Joby View Post
    I don't get the objection to smoking in public or on public property.
    A family enjoying a nice morning in a local park should NOT have to be subjected to a smoker poisoning the air.

    If you're talking about the DMV on Friday afternoon I understand and agree. But most public property is outside were things a lot bigger than smokers are polluting the air. For example, this evening I took a stroll down to a park which was completely devoid of any other people and had a smoke there. Yet somehow I'm a bigger threat to public health than someone driving a diesel truck through a crowded city. What gives?
    Again, as I said earlier, I am a strong proponent of much stricter emissions standards and enforcement (especially here in Taiwan where they are not as strong as Japan or the US).

    As for our healthcare, well, I don't even understand how my plan really works.
    There is a myth that there is no public health care in the United States. How do you think poor people without health insurance or elderly get health care?
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  5. #95
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    It's okay to deny others their liberty if it's for a good cause. Obviously this study proves out everything and we should take it as holy writ!

    Let's all celebrate the day Liberty was denied!

    Gee, I wonder how you reacted to hearing about the fact that our goverment was conducting surveillance without a warrant. Did you think liberty had been denied in that circumstance?

  6. #96
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Allusionation View Post
    Isn't Obama a closet smoker? I can't see him taking up the issue if he's lighting up too.
    LOL So the president will base his decisions on an issue like this on the fact that he smoked or is a closet smoker? Somehow I doubt it.

  7. #97
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Joby View Post
    I completely agree to take my smoking ways underground like all the KGBers here want me to.

    Just one thing: NO MORE TAXES ON CIGARETTES!

    Goddamn I hate anti-smoking legislators. After blaming Gays for all the problems in the world, it's the best way to get noticed doing nothing.

    How about we force all the obese to run 5 miles a day? If our health is the governments concern, I'll tell you right now that forcing all the chubby people to lose weight would be much more effective at lowering the number of heart attacks.

    How about forcing every restaurant to serve only low-fat varieties? I could choose to go somewhere else, but that's not how we do things anymore. I demand the govt force business owners to stop acting so immoral!

    Finally, no person shall be allowed to eat fast-food in the presence of children, or in public. It is a disgusting, unhealthy habit and I'm not about to let their selfishness give the next generation a bad example.

    Also, a new $2 tax on every hamburger sold. If you don't like it, quit.
    I love it when people compare smoking to poor eating habits. It's just so rational and on point. NOT. My eating a hamburger does not impact the health of those sitting near me.

    Supposedly, only 20% of people smoke. So we're supposed to bow down to 20% of people and let them smoke wherever they want? No thank you.

  8. #98
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    How dare you lump all cigarette smokers into one group? There are courteous smokers
    Are you one of them, Kali? What constitutes a courteous smoker?

    99% of the time I am driving, I see at least one smoker throw his/her cigarette butt out the window.

    When I do a clean-up of my neighborhood, 90% of what I pick up are cigarette butts.

    When I cross in a crosswalk at a stop light, I see at least 20 cigarette butts on the ground.

    When I enter and leave the subway system (which doesn't allow smoking), I see 30 to 40 cigarette butts right outside the entrance/exit.

    Smokers sure are courteous, aren't they?

  9. #99
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,489

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    [QUOTE=ludahai;1057869699]
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post

    These "studies" were PUBLISHED ten years ago.
    No. the most recent one I can find was published in 1993. I have not seen any study more recent.

    Now check to see what studies your info uses.

  10. #100
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,489

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Why can't I enjoy a nice afternoon in the park with my family without having to seem like a refugee because dumb smokers have no respect for the rights of others? The tyranny of smokers.
    So now smoking a cigarette outside is tyranny?

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •