Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 93

Thread: Possible ceasefire in Gaza

  1. #31
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Possible ceasefire in Gaza

    Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    a ceasefire is temporary, it would be a truce. That would be the first step before negociation with the Hamas. They could negociate the end of the blockade vs. end of rocket launches.
    All it would do is allow Hamas to regroup and continue to ungrade their arms for another round with Israel.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  2. #32
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Possible ceasefire in Gaza

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    Nothing like a fish out of water.

    Ehud Barak
    I think he was joking - at least I hope so.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  3. #33
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Possible ceasefire in Gaza

    Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    According to Yigal Palmor, Israeli minister, there could be a permanent truce. The condition is that they want guarantees that Hamas stops launching rockets.

    They have however rejected the French proposal of ceasefire.

    Israël envisage une trêve permanente - lesoir.be

    Le Figaro - International : Israël prêt à de «longues semaines d'action»
    The cease fire as proposed should be rejected. There is no benefit for Israel in it.

    Thanks for the Le Figaro link. I was going to look there anyway for a French viewpoint. Personally, I prefer it to Le Monde.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  4. #34
    R.I.P. Léo
    bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    05-17-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,649

    Re: Possible ceasefire in Gaza

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    The cease fire as proposed should be rejected. There is no benefit for Israel in it.
    I don't get your point of view.

    Of course if they stop the raids now they don't have guarantees that Hamas will stop launching rockets.

    But if they continue the raids, they can't guarantee it neither! Even if they kill 3 or 400 Hamas members and destroy most of their rockets, they won't prevent the 1,500,000 Palestinians in Gaza from supporting the Hamas. That's why if they do nothing else than the attacks, rockets are going to be launched again, next week or next month: it's not difficult to recruit new "martyrs" and to smuggle rockets!

    If they want to prevent Hamas from doing that, they should attack the roots of the problem, understand why Palestinians support the Hamas and act consequently to stop this support.

    Here is a hint:

    Blockade helps Gaza militants, says report | World news | The Guardian
    Israel's economic blockade stops Gaza's strawberry-farmers selling their crop - Middle East, World - The Independent
    Gaza Blockade Threatening Civilian Health | OneWorld.net (U.S.)
    Gaza: Gaza experiences bread shortages as Israel continues blockade - Los Angeles Times

    Of course I understand the reasons of the blockade: Israel wants to prevent rockets to enter Gaza. However this goal is not achieved (rockets are still launched) and it has a counterproductive effect, as it makes support for Hamas grow.

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    11-28-17 @ 04:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,690

    Re: Possible ceasefire in Gaza

    Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    Hamas was elected. Which means that a majority of Palestinians support them. If you use the military way, you'd have to kill all of them, and doing so will make Hamas gain even more support. That's why it won't work.
    In June 2007, Hamas used arms to seize complete control of the Gaza Strip. Hamas' coup was illegitimate, as it violated the provisions of the Palestinians' constitution.

  6. #36
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Possible ceasefire in Gaza

    Bub - Israel has to do everything it can to cripple Hamas's infrastructure and ability to carry out further attacks. A cease fire does NOT accomplish this. The EU (UE) will not get involved to guarantee this. Only Israel can do that to the best of their ability.

    As for the blockade, if Hamas is going to try to import weapons (which they had done) of course there should be a blockade. If they are going to send terrorists across the border, of course there should be a blockade. You can't seem to accept this. It is nice sitting in the middle of peaceful Europe being critical of a democracy constantly under attack from neighbors who want to destroy it.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  7. #37
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Possible ceasefire in Gaza

    Israel rejects ceasefire deal
    Israeli leaders have decided to reject an immediate 48-hour pause in fighting and push ahead with the devastating air offensive against Hamas, pounding targets through pouring rain as the Gaza Strip entered its fifth day of battle.

    Israel is facing growing international pressure to halt the assault, and Israeli prime minister Ehud Olmert discussed a ceasefire proposal with his foreign and defence ministers overnight.

  8. #38
    R.I.P. Léo
    bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    05-17-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,649

    Re: Possible ceasefire in Gaza

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    In June 2007, Hamas used arms to seize complete control of the Gaza Strip. Hamas' coup was illegitimate, as it violated the provisions of the Palestinians' constitution.
    You may be right, but the important element is that they seem to be supported by many Palestinians, and that the blockade reinforces this support. It's unfortunate and I regret it, but it's like that.

  9. #39
    R.I.P. Léo
    bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    05-17-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,649

    Re: Possible ceasefire in Gaza

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Bub - Israel has to do everything it can to cripple Hamas's infrastructure and ability to carry out further attacks. A cease fire does NOT accomplish this.
    The raids neither. And a ceasefire does not kill civilians and does not make Palestinians support Hamas because of the killed civilians.

    As for the blockade, if Hamas is going to try to import weapons (which they had done) of course there should be a blockade. If they are going to send terrorists across the border, of course there should be a blockade. You can't seem to accept this. It is nice sitting in the middle of peaceful Europe being critical of a democracy constantly under attack from neighbors who want to destroy it.
    Argument countered above: the blockade does not work anyway.

    Then, if I'm critical, it's also because I think that Israel could be in peace if it behaved differently. I'm not the one who gets bombed by my neighbors.

  10. #40
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Possible ceasefire in Gaza

    Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    The raids neither. And a ceasefire does not kill civilians and does not make Palestinians support Hamas because of the killed civilians.

    Argument countered above: the blockade does not work anyway.

    Then, if I'm critical, it's also because I think that Israel could be in peace if it behaved differently. I'm not the one who gets bombed by my neighbors.
    Actually, the blockade waqs worked reasonably well. It isn't perfect, but it makes it difficult for Hamas to acquire more sophisiticated weapons and also impedes them from sending suicide bombers into Israel.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •