Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 101

Thread: Premarital Abstinence Pledges Ineffective, Study Finds

  1. #11
    Advisor Keorythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    08-05-14 @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    440

    Re: Premarital Abstinence Pledges Ineffective, Study Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    Rosenbaum was on the TODAY show this morning. One thing she said that I complete agree with that isn't in the article is that, and I'm paraphrasing, "America needs to remove itself from the idea that education about sex equates to permission to have sex."

    Not educating teenagers on safe sexual practices and the risks of having sex only hurts them.
    Rosenbaum needs to get real and get back in touch. Education about sex without laying down standards does equate to permission to have sex for this current generation. You can't have one side without including the other, its going to require a two tier approach.

    The idea that abstinence encouragement alone is going to cut down on teen pregnancies and/or disease transferal is crazy. But at the same time basic sex education alone isn't going to be anymore effective. Solving the problem with irresponsable teen sex practices are going to require a more comprehensive program involving parental support than just basic education.

    Showing VD pictures or the proper way to roll on a condom isn't going to teach a teen male that the amount of "poon" he's getting doesn't make him a man, nor does it show barely teenage females that "putting out" shouldn't be a requirement for a relationship at the age of 13.

    The money being spent needs to be halted and the until the program gets overhauled.
    Freedom is... never more than one generation away from extinction. Every generation has to learn how to protect and defend it, or itís gone and gone for a long, long time- Ronald Reagan

  2. #12
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,562

    Re: Premarital Abstinence Pledges Ineffective, Study Finds

    I guess, in their mind, they are all spending 1 trillion there, a trillion here, so obviously, 176 million should be nothing for the taxpayer.

    As for me though, its not really the fact that the program that they are funding is a failure(i think if it was just reformed to be more "flexible", it will might some things), rather, its the fact that this a state issue. If Texas wants abstinence-only education, then let Texas fund it. If massachusetts wants "sex-only" education, then by george let mass fund it. Everyone wins this way.

  3. #13
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Premarital Abstinence Pledges Ineffective, Study Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    I would love to see the Obama Administration STOP funding the abstinence program. It doesn't work. Let's make this about teaching children about sexually transmitted diseases and preventing pregnancy.
    Not necessarily disagreeing or agreeing with you. I don't think abstinence only is the answer since kids are a little naive to begin with, but since they aren't stupid maybe teaching abstinence because of the consequences could work, it's just to get a less condescending tone to the classes. Sex ed sucked when I was in school, it needs to actually be worth something.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #14
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Premarital Abstinence Pledges Ineffective, Study Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by Keorythe View Post
    Rosenbaum needs to get real and get back in touch. Education about sex without laying down standards does equate to permission to have sex for this current generation. You can't have one side without including the other, its going to require a two tier approach.
    Who is not laying down standards? No one is saying abstience should not be taught. Only that despite any "decision groups" that exist on the subject of sex, all should have a full understanding of the subject.

    You can't make intelligent decisions if you are ignorant on the topic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keorythe View Post
    The idea that abstinence encouragement alone is going to cut down on teen pregnancies and/or disease transferal is crazy. But at the same time basic sex education alone isn't going to be anymore effective. Solving the problem with irresponsable teen sex practices are going to require a more comprehensive program involving parental support than just basic education.

    Showing VD pictures or the proper way to roll on a condom isn't going to teach a teen male that the amount of "poon" he's getting doesn't make him a man, nor does it show barely teenage females that "putting out" shouldn't be a requirement for a relationship at the age of 13.
    Showing VD pictures as part of a in depth sex-ed curriculum is going to help the teen male and female in their decision to have or not have sex.

    Giving teens a ring and saying sex is evil will only affect a very small minority that truly believe in abstinence, whatever their reasons.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keorythe View Post
    The money being spent needs to be halted and the until the program gets overhauled.
    So no education for teens is better then one that works only on small groups?

    The problem with overhauling it is that the conservative religious right don't want their children learning about sex. They believe that teaching equates to permission. If they ignore the topic then it doesn't exist.
    Last edited by Gibberish; 12-30-08 at 02:15 PM.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  5. #15
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Premarital Abstinence Pledges Ineffective, Study Finds

    Another area government should get out of.
    Government shouldn't be teaching our children about sex.

  6. #16
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Premarital Abstinence Pledges Ineffective, Study Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Another area government should get out of.
    Government shouldn't be teaching our children about sex.
    They aren't teaching them about sex. They are teaching them about non-sex.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  7. #17
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,897

    Re: Premarital Abstinence Pledges Ineffective, Study Finds

    Where the hell does this money even go? In fact, could someone tell me what the hell an abstinence only sex-ed curriculum contains? Wouldn't the teacher just stand up in front of class and be like "sex is bad don't do it"? Seriously, what more is involved?

  8. #18
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    02-13-09 @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,942

    Re: Premarital Abstinence Pledges Ineffective, Study Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    I would love to see the Obama Administration STOP funding the abstinence program. It doesn't work. Let's make this about teaching children about sexually transmitted diseases and preventing pregnancy.
    Oh? Abstinence does not effectively stop the transmission of std's nor prevent unwanted pregnancies?

    What was I thinking?

  9. #19
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Premarital Abstinence Pledges Ineffective, Study Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Where the hell does this money even go? In fact, could someone tell me what the hell an abstinence only sex-ed curriculum contains? Wouldn't the teacher just stand up in front of class and be like "sex is bad don't do it"? Seriously, what more is involved?
    They could say, "And don't go out and buy condoms or any sort of birth control because that will assure you that you will have sex."

    What do you think?

  10. #20
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,897

    Re: Premarital Abstinence Pledges Ineffective, Study Finds

    Oh? Abstinence does not effectively stop the transmission of std's nor prevent unwanted pregnancies?

    What was I thinking?
    I think you are missing the disconnect here.

    Abstinence-only program =/= Kids practicing abstinence

    They could say, "And don't go out and buy condoms or any sort of birth control because that will assure you that you will have sex."
    Ah, that's where the expense is then.
    Last edited by Khayembii Communique; 12-30-08 at 03:55 PM.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •