Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: German navy foils Somali pirates

  1. #11
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: German navy foils Somali pirates

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    LOL, there are many European nations in the area. Denmark, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Dutch, Germany, UK, France, Italy, Poland and so on.
    Good. Glad to see them there.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  2. #12
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,037

    Re: German navy foils Somali pirates

    As of December 18, 2008........


    Canadian Forces Maritime Command (NATO)
    French Navy (NATO)
    German Navy (NATO)
    Greek Navy (NATO)
    Italian Navy (NATO)
    Royal Navy (UK) (NATO)
    Royal Danish Navy (NATO)
    Royal Netherlands Navy (NATO)
    Spanish Navy (NATO)
    Turkish Navy (NATO)
    United States Navy (NATO)


    Swedish Navy
    Royal Saudi Navy
    Royal Malaysian Navy

    Indian Navy (SCO)
    Islamic Republic of Iran Navy (SCO)
    Russian Navy (SCO)
    People's Liberation Army Navy (China) (SCO)

    Piracy in Somalia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    It is now widely understood that European companies are systematically dumping toxic waste in these waters. The UN special envoy for Somalia, Ahmedou Ould Abdallah, has in the past few months repeatedly sounded the alarm about illegal fishing and toxic dumping off Somalia by European firms. Abdullah said that his organisation has "reliable information" that European and Asian companies are dumping the waste - including nuclear waste, - in this region. The European Union has responded to these allegations with silence. EUobserver

    Lessons have been learned. America has had to deal with Europe's trash for too long and been the target for all criticisms. Aside from policing our own ships and our own interests in this waterway, why should America help Europe and Asia out of yet another mess? The Cold War is over. In the 19th century, America dealt with the Barbary Pirates in the Med and Europe benefitted. Maybe Europe can return the favor so that America can merely benefit for a change.
    Last edited by MSgt; 12-31-08 at 06:37 PM.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  3. #13
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: German navy foils Somali pirates

    Quote Originally Posted by GySgt View Post
    As of December 18, 2008........


    Canadian Forces Maritime Command (NATO)
    French Navy (NATO)
    German Navy (NATO)
    Greek Navy (NATO)
    Italian Navy (NATO)
    Royal Navy (UK) (NATO)
    Royal Danish Navy (NATO)
    Royal Netherlands Navy (NATO)
    Spanish Navy (NATO)
    Turkish Navy (NATO)
    United States Navy (NATO)


    Swedish Navy
    Royal Saudi Navy
    Royal Malaysian Navy

    Indian Navy (SCO)
    Islamic Republic of Iran Navy (SCO)
    Russian Navy (SCO)
    People's Liberation Army Navy (China) (SCO)
    For the love of God, these are people in fishing boats with 10 year old weapons. The world seriously needs THAT many countries to deal with a few people in dresses?

    Haha, bet the pirates are shocked.
    They got a response they didn't expect lmao

  4. #14
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,056

    Re: German navy foils Somali pirates

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    For the love of God, these are people in fishing boats with 10 year old weapons. The world seriously needs THAT many countries to deal with a few people in dresses?
    Yes. And insurgents in Iraq are just Arabs with AK47s. Do you even have a clue as to the type of threat these people pose to ships? These are people who've gone as far as buying money counters. That is a far cry from '10 year old weapons and fishing boats'.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #15
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,037

    Re: German navy foils Somali pirates

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    For the love of God, these are people in fishing boats with 10 year old weapons. The world seriously needs THAT many countries to deal with a few people in dresses?

    Apparantly so. The problem is that no one is dealing with it. They are floating around protecting their own and waiting for America to do it for them. I am quickly coming to the opinion that America needs to start cleaning up its own messes and leaving the overwhelming rest to Europe and Asia. We didn't dump **** in those waters. Our messes encompass the few events during the Cold War. This mess developed during the '90s.

    But the same goes for Somalia. If Somalia ever needs America to feed it, it should remember what it did the last time food tried to get delivered to those who needed it.
    Last edited by MSgt; 12-31-08 at 07:23 PM.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  6. #16
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: German navy foils Somali pirates

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yes. And insurgents in Iraq are just Arabs with AK47s. Do you even have a clue as to the type of threat these people pose to ships? These are people who've gone as far as buying money counters. That is a far cry from '10 year old weapons and fishing boats'.
    If people actually stored guns on their ships instead of just allowing pirates take it, maybe the pirates wouldn't have had the money to buy new weapons and increase their technology.

    Either way, the whole pirate 'problem' is moot and insignificant in that region compared to the fact the Somali President just got impeached leaving a power vaccum which the Islamists will try and fill made worse by the fact Ethiopia is withdrawing. Now the battle is on in Somalia between the moderate Islamists [who remain loyal to ex-President] and al-Shabab

  7. #17
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: German navy foils Somali pirates

    Quote Originally Posted by GySgt View Post
    I am quickly coming to the opinion that America needs to start cleaning up its own messes and leaving the overwhelming rest to Europe and Asia. We didn't dump **** in those waters. Our messes encompass the few events during the Cold War. This mess developed during the '90s.

    But the same goes for Somalia. If Somalia ever needs America to feed it, it should remember what it did the last time food tried to get delivered to those who needed it.
    I happen to agree with your opinion. But in regards to US, damned if you do; damned if you don't.

    Who represents Somalia?
    There is how many factions attempting to get control. If one faction bites US's hand off. Does the entire country deserve to suffer for it?

  8. #18
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,037

    Re: German navy foils Somali pirates

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post

    Who represents Somalia?
    There is how many factions attempting to get control. If one faction bites US's hand off. Does the entire country deserve to suffer for it?
    Yes. Culture is fate. It's called responsibility. If America has to deal with the decisions made by Americans, then other nation's peoples should have to deal with the decisions their people make too. It's the same garbage we are experiencing in the Arab Middle East. What are Somalis doing against those factions who are ruining everything? Nothing. With this "support," why should America lift a finger to do what Somalis should at least be meeting us half way with?

    The EU and Asia screwed up those waters. Somalia was an Italian colony. I think Americans have learned a lot about this world since 9/11. Before Somalia, Americans believed that people appreciated American aid. Before 9/11, we were stupid and believed in illusions of "friendships." In a sense we were disgustingly niave. But nations don't have friends do they? They merely have "allies," which is primarily and almost solely based on mutual interest. Morality has nothing to do with nothing. A common theme that seems to bring our left and right together anymore depending on which party occupies the White House is the bitter "**** you" attitude towards the world.

    There is an argument amongst think tanks that helping third world nations out of their cultural nightmares is mutually beneficial to them and to America's future security. But there is also an argument that these third world nations are largely European legacies and as long as we don't accept responsibility for them, then we will be left alone and won't have to be placed in the position of defending ourselves and being criticized for it. Both views bring a never ending criticism from even our "friends."

    I don't quite know what my argument is anymore.
    Last edited by MSgt; 12-31-08 at 07:56 PM.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  9. #19
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: German navy foils Somali pirates

    Quote Originally Posted by GySgt View Post
    What are Somalis doing against those factions who are ruining everything?
    Dying.

    Somali Moderate Islamists are fighting against the Extremists within Somalia.
    The President has left, the moderates will most likely get control of the Government but then they will have to fight against the fact the Islamists during Yusuf's [pathetic] reign of power had taken control of nearly the entire country.

  10. #20
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,037

    Re: German navy foils Somali pirates

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Dying.

    Somali Moderate Islamists are fighting against the Extremists within Somalia.
    The President has left, the moderates will most likely get control of the Government but then they will have to fight against the fact the Islamists during Yusuf's [pathetic] reign of power had taken control of nearly the entire country.
    I'm aware. It's a target of interest in our intel world as is the entire HOA. But "dying" is a choice. There has been attempts to gather and strengthen the "dying," but all attempts from the outside have failed. This is what led to the African Union's attempts to step up and do for it's own continent with American assistance from the sea with targets of opportunity against radicals and extremists as a part of the "War on Terror."

    The problem we keep running into is that we have to trust the locals on the ground not to use us to fight a tribal war instead of the war they should be fighting. It's the same all over. Britian used us against Iran. All of Europe used us against the Soviets. Islamic radicals and extremists used us against the Soviets just to turn later against us. The Shia used us against the Sunni in Iraq to settle scores by feeding us intel on "insurgents" who may or may not have been insurgents.

    We get in trouble because we think we can handle every problem and that every problem has an American solution. But in the end, we can only trust ourselves and have to stop taking responsibility for everything under the sun. Do you know why Americans have always felt that it is our job to settle disputes or help the weak? Because larger disputes suck us in and we have "chosen" to help the needy. We aren't obligated to do anything for anybody. Somewhere down the road we forgot this.
    Last edited by MSgt; 12-31-08 at 09:10 PM.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •