Page 115 of 155 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1548

Thread: Israeli air strikes target Gaza

  1. #1141
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: Israeli air strikes target Gaza

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeJayH View Post
    yeah, and do you think there is anything wrong with that

    it is called 'breaking the will of the enemy'
    or 'turning public opinion against the status quo'
    Assuming you belive the status quo is Hamas then these bombings arent going to turn public opinion against them. Historically its had the opossite effect [as is particually evident in southern Lebannon].

    Incidently isnt the aproach your advocating a similar one to the tactics Slobodan Milosevic used against the KLA? I just find it intresting [and perhaps a little Orwellian] that you advocate Isreal takes the same course of action that we were flattening Serbia for little over a decade ago.

  2. #1142
    Sage
    DeeJayH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Scooping Zeus' Poop
    Last Seen
    06-21-15 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,728

    Re: Israeli air strikes target Gaza

    Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    and how would you do that? because they'd fear more attacks?
    just like it has been done in most previous wars throughout history
    you pummel them into submission
    you pummel them until they think maybe peace is better than this losing battle

    Human Taxidermist - - now offering his services for all your loved ones
    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    How the hell did you just tie in a retroactive reparative measure with a proactive preventative measure. Not even close to being the same thing.

  3. #1143
    Sage
    DeeJayH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Scooping Zeus' Poop
    Last Seen
    06-21-15 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,728

    Re: Israeli air strikes target Gaza

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    Assuming you belive the status quo is Hamas then these bombings arent going to turn public opinion against them. Historically its had the opossite effect [as is particually evident in southern Lebannon].

    Incidently isnt the aproach your advocating a similar one to the tactics Slobodan Milosevic used against the KLA? I just find it intresting [and perhaps a little Orwellian] that you advocate Isreal takes the same course of action that we were flattening Serbia for little over a decade ago.
    did Slobodan attack only legitimate military targets?

    Human Taxidermist - - now offering his services for all your loved ones
    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    How the hell did you just tie in a retroactive reparative measure with a proactive preventative measure. Not even close to being the same thing.

  4. #1144
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Israeli air strikes target Gaza

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeJayH View Post
    did Slobodan attack only legitimate military targets?
    Are you implying that Israel is only attacking legitimate military targets?

    Scoop: Israeli Navy Attacking Civilian Mercy Ship
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  5. #1145
    R.I.P. Léo
    bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    05-17-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,649

    Re: Israeli air strikes target Gaza

    Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    Yes, they don't target civilians, I know that

    But don't you think taht the aim of the raid is to destroy buildings and kill some Hamas members, with the predictible but unwanted death of civilians, so that Palestinians understand that they should stop supporting Hamas if they want to stop the raids?
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeJayH View Post
    yeah, and do you think there is anything wrong with that

    it is called 'breaking the will of the enemy'
    or 'turning public opinion against the status quo'
    Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    and how would you do that? because they'd fear more attacks?
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeJayH View Post
    just like it has been done in most previous wars throughout history
    you pummel them into submission
    you pummel them until they think maybe peace is better than this losing battle
    that's funny, because that totally sounds like the definition of terrorism by the Britannica Online Encyclopedia:

    use of violence to create a general climate of fear in a population and thereby to bring about a particular political objective.


  6. #1146
    Sage
    DeeJayH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Scooping Zeus' Poop
    Last Seen
    06-21-15 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,728

    Re: Israeli air strikes target Gaza

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Are you implying that Israel is only attacking legitimate military targets?

    Scoop: Israeli Navy Attacking Civilian Mercy Ship
    a. they failed to identify
    2. they were violating a blockade
    c. McKinney is a ****ing idiot and this proves it more
    4. the boat did not sink and nobody died

    Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    that's funny, because that totally sounds like the definition of terrorism by the Britannica Online Encyclopedia:

    use of violence to create a general climate of fear in a population and thereby to bring about a particular political objective.

    well the definition i draw on has to do with intentionally targeting civilians
    instead of the military

    Human Taxidermist - - now offering his services for all your loved ones
    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    How the hell did you just tie in a retroactive reparative measure with a proactive preventative measure. Not even close to being the same thing.

  7. #1147
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Israeli air strikes target Gaza

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeJayH View Post
    a. they failed to identify
    2. they were violating a blockade
    c. McKinney is a ****ing idiot and this proves it more
    4. the boat did not sink and nobody died
    So, did they or did they not attack a civilian target? I'm not saying it was not justified, just pointing out that you're wrong in assuming that they do not attack civilian targets.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  8. #1148
    Sage
    DeeJayH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Scooping Zeus' Poop
    Last Seen
    06-21-15 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,728

    Re: Israeli air strikes target Gaza

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    So, did they or did they not attack a civilian target? I'm not saying it was not justified, just pointing out that you're wrong in assuming that they do not attack civilian targets.
    that example of 'israel attacking civies' would equate to about you saying i kicked the everloving **** out of you by poking you with my finger once

    Human Taxidermist - - now offering his services for all your loved ones
    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    How the hell did you just tie in a retroactive reparative measure with a proactive preventative measure. Not even close to being the same thing.

  9. #1149
    R.I.P. Léo
    bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    05-17-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,649

    Re: Israeli air strikes target Gaza

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeJayH View Post

    well the definition i draw on has to do with intentionally targeting civilians
    instead of the military
    there are several definitions of terrorism, but the Encyclopedia Britannica does not talk about targeting civilians. Same for the FBI definition:

    use of force or violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a Government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives.

  10. #1150
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Israeli air strikes target Gaza

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeJayH View Post
    that example of 'israel attacking civies' would equate to about you saying i kicked the everloving **** out of you by poking you with my finger once
    It was an attack on civilians. Plain and simple. You can make silly analogies until you are blue in the face, it is not helping your argument.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •