Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 109

Thread: Iranian president to deliver Channel 4's (UK) alternative Christmas message

  1. #1
    Educator
    Slainte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Last Seen
    02-15-13 @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,061

    Iranian president to deliver Channel 4's (UK) alternative Christmas message

    Iranian president to deliver Channel 4's alternative Christmas message

    Channel 4 has opted to end the year on a controversial note by inviting the president of Iran, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, to give the broadcaster's alternative Christmas message tomorrow.

    But the channel has shied away from scheduling the president's address against the Queen's Christmas speech at 3pm. Unlike most years, it is not airing its alternative Christmas message at the same time as the Queen, but is instead scheduling Ahmadinejad's message at 7.15pm.

    Channel 4 has said that the Muslim president, who has a hostile relationship with many western countries, will deliver a spiritual address that will feature a message of seasonal goodwill.

    ---

    The Channel 4 head of news and current affairs, Dorothy Byrne, argued that the selection of such controversial figure was in line with the broadcaster's policy of providing an "alternative world view" and reflected the extensive coverage it has given to Iran in recent times.

    "As the leader of one of the most powerful states in the Middle East, President Ahmadinejad's views are enormously influential," she said. "As we approach a critical time in international relations, we are offering our viewers an insight into an alternative world view.


    Interesting, not quite the standard of the Osbournes or the Simpsons, but hopefully it will be more interesting than the Queens speech!

    Personally I think anything that could promote understanding between the West and Iran is a good thing.

    Anyone consider it inappropriate given recent relations with Iran?
    We all live under the same sky, but we don't all have the same horizon

  2. #2
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Iranian president to deliver Channel 4's (UK) alternative Christmas message

    I know, i can't wait to see it!
    Channel 4 still continues to surprise - i never thought of anyone actually doing this


  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Iranian president to deliver Channel 4's (UK) alternative Christmas message

    Quote Originally Posted by Slainte View Post
    Iranian president to deliver Channel 4's alternative Christmas message

    Channel 4 has opted to end the year on a controversial note by inviting the president of Iran, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, to give the broadcaster's alternative Christmas message tomorrow.

    But the channel has shied away from scheduling the president's address against the Queen's Christmas speech at 3pm. Unlike most years, it is not airing its alternative Christmas message at the same time as the Queen, but is instead scheduling Ahmadinejad's message at 7.15pm.

    Channel 4 has said that the Muslim president, who has a hostile relationship with many western countries, will deliver a spiritual address that will feature a message of seasonal goodwill.

    ---

    The Channel 4 head of news and current affairs, Dorothy Byrne, argued that the selection of such controversial figure was in line with the broadcaster's policy of providing an "alternative world view" and reflected the extensive coverage it has given to Iran in recent times.

    "As the leader of one of the most powerful states in the Middle East, President Ahmadinejad's views are enormously influential," she said. "As we approach a critical time in international relations, we are offering our viewers an insight into an alternative world view.

    Interesting, not quite the standard of the Osbournes or the Simpsons, but hopefully it will be more interesting than the Queens speech!

    Personally I think anything that could promote understanding between the West and Iran is a good thing.

    Anyone consider it inappropriate given recent relations with Iran?


    Sure ... let a terrorist give a Christmas address.

    So sad.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Iranian president to deliver Channel 4's (UK) alternative Christmas message

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    I know, i can't wait to see it!
    Channel 4 still continues to surprise - i never thought of anyone actually doing this
    Surprise indeed.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Iranian president to deliver Channel 4's (UK) alternative Christmas message

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Surprise indeed.
    Surprise in a good way.
    Channel 4 is my favourite channel [Dispatches, Unreported world]


  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Iranian president to deliver Channel 4's (UK) alternative Christmas message

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Surprise in a good way.
    Channel 4 is my favourite channel [Dispatches, Unreported world]
    Interesting.

  7. #7
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Iranian president to deliver Channel 4's (UK) alternative Christmas message

    Perhaps they can have the taliban on next, or some wahhabists.....
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #8
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Iranian president to deliver Channel 4's (UK) alternative Christmas message

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Perhaps they can have the taliban on next, or some wahhabists.....
    I see no reason as to refuse him airtime to wish people Happy Christmas apart from predjudices.


  9. #9
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Iranian president to deliver Channel 4's (UK) alternative Christmas message

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    I see no reason as to refuse him airtime to wish people Happy Christmas apart from predjudices.



    OOh maybe chavez or castro.... no no, wait, kim jong ill!
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #10
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Iranian president to deliver Channel 4's (UK) alternative Christmas message

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    I see no reason as to refuse him airtime to wish people Happy Christmas apart from predjudices.
    Let's see, how about we start with an example: His view of Israel is that it's people should be exterminated. That's just my top reason for being glad that he's not giving a Christmas address on any channel in the U.S.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •