Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 93

Thread: Ga. Judge Jails Muslim Woman Over Head Scarf

  1. #21
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,091

    Re: Ga. Judge Jails Muslim Woman Over Head Scarf

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock View Post
    Yes, this applies to everyone including the insecure bald guy who always wears a cap in public, or the Sikh who always wears a turbin in public.
    SALDEF - Sikh American Legal Defense & Education Fund - The new name of SMART

    Washington, DC – The Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund (SALDEF) thanks Judge Helen Harper of Laurens County, Georgia, for offering an apology to Tarun Singh Kataria, a Sikh American male, who was denied entry to the court due to its “no hats” policy. Additionally, the court instituted a formal written change to its security policy regarding religious head coverings which explicitly mentions Sikh Americans.



    Tarun Singh KatariaSALDEF intervened in the case on behalf of Mr. Kataria when in August 2005 he arrived at the Lauren’s County Probate Court to contest a traffic violation, and was asked by the court security to remove his turban due to the court’s “no-hat” policy. Mr. Kataria refused to remove his religiously mandated turban and was prevented from entering the court building, and thus denied his constitutional right to defend himself in a court of law.


    Mr. Kataria contacted SALDEF seeking redress for this issue. SALDEF immediately contacted the county attorney and judge demanding a letter of apology, clarification of their policy on religious head coverings, and asking that the court allow Mr. Kataria the ability to contest the ticket.


    In her letter to SALDEF and Mr. Kataria, Judge Harper stated, “The Court’s “No-Hat’s” policy is not, and never has been, intended to deny anyone their constitutional rights, or to discriminate against any religious beliefs. I sincerely regret any embarrassment or inconvenience you may have experienced.”
    Don't you look foolish now.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #22
    Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
    SgtRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,006

    Re: Ga. Judge Jails Muslim Woman Over Head Scarf

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    I think the respect thing is generally a crock of ****. In general I think that respect should be earned. Authority or name title doesn't make me automatically respect someone.

    I can understand the security thing, though. I think that she could have been easily checked and then been allowed to wear it.
    Next time you go to court. Wear a hat. When the bailiff tells you to remove it tell him no, you must first earn my respect and see what happens.
    When America is strong the world is calm, When America is weak tyrants and terrorist slaughter the meek. ~ SgtRock

  3. #23
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Ga. Judge Jails Muslim Woman Over Head Scarf

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    I think the respect thing is generally a crock of ****. In general I think that respect should be earned. Authority or name title doesn't make me automatically respect someone.
    I disagree only because I have seen the chaos it creates. You don't have to respect the person, but respect for the office makes sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    I can understand the security thing, though. I think that she could have been easily checked and then been allowed to wear it.
    Maybe, I tend to go by the laws of the court being an x-LEO.

  4. #24
    Advisor SWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    If love was cow blood, I'd be a slaugterhouse.
    Last Seen
    01-20-10 @ 08:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    310

    Re: Ga. Judge Jails Muslim Woman Over Head Scarf

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post


    What do you mean that isn't me officer? It looks just like me!


    Haha, that's great.

    "Lady, that just a picture of a vase with a cloth over it."

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Ga. Judge Jails Muslim Woman Over Head Scarf

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    I think the freedom to exercise religion overrides a silly and generally unspoken rule of respect. I wasn't even aware of the no hat/head covering rule.
    If it was about "respect", I doubt it would apply to women.
    Even within my lifetime (and I'm not very old) women have traditionally worn hats indoors at formal functions. When I was a little girl, most of the older ladies in my church wore hats to mass. It was considered perfectly proper.
    Nancy Reagan wore a hat at many important government functions and presidential addresses, including on election night.
    I don't believe any first lady since the 80s has routinely worn hats indoors, but prior to Reagan, all First Ladies did; Jackie O had a matching pillbox hat for just about every suit she owned. Gloves, too.
    It's never been considered polite, on the other hand, for men to wear hats indoors. Although they routinely wore them outdoors until the late 1950s/ early 60s. And some very old men still do.

    These things may be passe now, but it certainly could not be considered a matter of "respect" that women be forced to doff their hats inside, even in a courtroom (which is surely no more holy than church, and requires no greater propriety than one's husband's inaugural address).
    This is Georgia, it's the deep south. I'm sure they're aware of the custom of ladies wearing hats. In Georgia, they probably only stopped doing it, like, week before last.

    It is not a matter of "respect".
    I assume it is a safety precaution.

  6. #26
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Ga. Judge Jails Muslim Woman Over Head Scarf

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock View Post
    Next time you go to court. Wear a hat. When the bailiff tells you to remove it tell him no, you must first earn my respect and see what happens.
    I don't wear hats, so I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue. And you are misunderstanding what I'm saying. If someone is going to be polite to me, I will be polite back. But I'm not going to walk on eggshells for someone and kiss their ass if they are rude to me. Simply asking me to remove my hat, if I were wearing one, wouldn't be rude.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,091

    Re: Ga. Judge Jails Muslim Woman Over Head Scarf

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock View Post
    Next time you go to court. Wear a hat. When the bailiff tells you to remove it tell him no, you must first earn my respect and see what happens.
    He wouldn't be wearing a hat because of his RELIGIOUS BELIEFS. If he were then it protected by the 1st amendment in ANY and EVERY court of the land. Unless of course you're saying free exercise of religion does not apply in American courts.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #28
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Ga. Judge Jails Muslim Woman Over Head Scarf

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    If it was about "respect", I doubt it would apply to women.
    Even within my lifetime (and I'm not very old) women have traditionally worn hats indoors at formal functions. When I was a little girl, most of the older ladies in my church wore hats to mass. It was considered perfectly proper.
    Nancy Reagan wore a hat at many important government functions and presidential addresses, including on election night.
    I don't believe any first lady since the 80s has routinely worn hats indoors, but prior to Reagan, all First Ladies did; Jackie O had a matching pillbox hat for just about every suit she owned. Gloves, too.
    It's never been considered polite, on the other hand, for men to wear hats indoors. Although they routinely wore them outdoors until the late 1950s/ early 60s. And some very old men still do.

    These things may be passe now, but it certainly could not be considered a matter of "respect" that women be forced to doff their hats inside, even in a courtroom (which is surely no more holy than church, and requires no greater propriety than one's husband's inaugural address).
    This is Georgia, it's the deep south. I'm sure they're aware of the custom of ladies wearing hats. In Georgia, they probably only stopped doing it, like, week before last.

    It is not a matter of "respect".
    I assume it is a safety precaution.
    It wouldn't surprise me. The entire respect thing just seems like a really stupid thing to nitpick about. I don't understand how respect can be measured by someone wearing a thing on their head or not. Perhaps it is a tradition in some parts, but traditions aren't always based on logic. This one sounds pretty stupid to me.

  9. #29
    Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
    SgtRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,006

    Re: Ga. Judge Jails Muslim Woman Over Head Scarf

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Thats it, Im starting my own religion, I think i'll call it bubbaslam. In my religion we must wear camoflouge baseball caps. Lets see if I can get the law changed so everone can wear a hat in court. To hell with tradition, respecting a judge or security for that mater. America must change to accomidate every freakin body. That includes me and my baseball cap.
    When America is strong the world is calm, When America is weak tyrants and terrorist slaughter the meek. ~ SgtRock

  10. #30
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Ga. Judge Jails Muslim Woman Over Head Scarf

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I disagree only because I have seen the chaos it creates. You don't have to respect the person, but respect for the office makes sense.
    I guess the reason that I don't have any respect for the office is because it is really just a title to me. Sure, it comes with certain priveleges, but that doesn't mean to me that it should earn more respect. When it comes to the police, I do respect them but it isn't because of their title. It's because they have a gun and they fall victim to human emotion, fault and imperfection just as much as I do. A title just doesn't seem concrete and real enough for it to deserve respect. I'm sure tons of people will disagree with me on this, but it's how I've always felt.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •