Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 83

Thread: GM puts Volt engine plant on hold to conserve cash

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: GM puts Volt engine plant on hold to conserve cash

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    I wouldn't consider an electric car any way, at least not until they improve dramatically. I couldn't get to work and back on a charge.
    Well as is known the volt is not fully electric, it is a hybrid. Much better right now for a transition. 40 miles with no gasoline is better than 40 miles with gasoline from a foreign country IMO.

    Again, though, the choice is yours. I am not getting any extra compensation from volt for someone getting a car from an internet forum board conversation

    Just trying to set the record straight that it is not as bad or unreliable as some try to make it out. I'm quite proud they are coming out with it. It's about time.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: GM puts Volt engine plant on hold to conserve cash

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Well as is known the volt is not fully electric, it is a hybrid. Much better right now for a transition. 40 miles with no gasoline is better than 40 miles with gasoline from a foreign country IMO.

    Again, though, the choice is yours. I am not getting any extra compensation from volt for someone getting a car from an internet forum board conversation

    Just trying to set the record straight that it is not as bad or unreliable as some try to make it out. I'm quite proud they are coming out with it. It's about time.
    The little car would not haul all I need every day in my work, so it is not an option even if it did get more miles/charge.

    I drive a company vehicle, so I don't personally pay for gas commuting back and forth to work. That doesn't mean I don't care about fuel mileage, just that it doesn't hit me in the pocketbook. I do have two personal vehicles, but they are driven less than 50 miles/week.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: GM puts Volt engine plant on hold to conserve cash

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    The little car would not haul all I need every day in my work, so it is not an option even if it did get more miles/charge.

    I drive a company vehicle, so I don't personally pay for gas commuting back and forth to work. That doesn't mean I don't care about fuel mileage, just that it doesn't hit me in the pocketbook. I do have two personal vehicles, but they are driven less than 50 miles/week.
    Yep and the volt is definately not for everyone, however, for those that just use their car to drive and not haul, it is an incredible thing.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: GM puts Volt engine plant on hold to conserve cash

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yep and the volt is definately not for everyone, however, for those that just use their car to drive and not haul, it is an incredible thing.
    Yep, if they get a chance to build an engine for it.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  5. #25
    Norville Rogers
    Kernel Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: GM puts Volt engine plant on hold to conserve cash

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    The little car would not haul all I need every day in my work, so it is not an option even if it did get more miles/charge.

    I drive a company vehicle, so I don't personally pay for gas commuting back and forth to work. That doesn't mean I don't care about fuel mileage, just that it doesn't hit me in the pocketbook. I do have two personal vehicles, but they are driven less than 50 miles/week.
    Most of the problems people have with electrics are that they won't perform well in situations where they...aren't designed to perform well. A volt is not trying to replace an f150, and neither is a mini. A volt isn't intended for a cross country journey either. If you're bothered by the fact that it can't tow well and has a range of 600 miles, you just aren't in the market for an electric. That doesn't mean that electrics are flawed in concept. For people with short commutes who aren't hauling things (I would guess that the vast majority of auto usage falls into this category), and electric or hybrid is a fantastic idea. Were I staying in the city after I graduate, I would buy one for sure. It would pay itself off in a year under city driving conditions.

  6. #26
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    02-13-09 @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,942

    Re: GM puts Volt engine plant on hold to conserve cash

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Well you can gamble with foreign countries that control oil all you want, I won't have to in a few years as much as I do now.

    Again, you are looking at it per year, I am looking at it that gas is going to skyrocket again and am planning on it accordingly. Also with the volt you are able to get a rebate from the government.

    Hey if people want to remain ignorant and reliant on foreign oil as their primary fuel, that's up to them.

    Me I will take my chance on Using American Energy as my primary source, not Foreign.
    So lets get this straight...you're looking at purchasing the volt to avoid skyrocketing gasoline prices and relying on foreign sources of energy. Reasonable.

    But then you cite a rebate check from the government. You really mean that some US taxpayers will be subsidizing your purchase. In other words, you will be subsidizing your purchase.

    Coal is the primary energy course in generating electricity. Nuclear is 2nd with Natural Gas third and Hydro fourth. Oil is fifth. There is currently an assault on coal as an energy source. Nuke power ain't coming back soon. And Natural Gas has a highly volatile commodity price. With the current fetish with alternative fuels, how do you know that such alternatives won't be more expensive than oil? How do you know that cheap coal will be available to generate the electricity necessary to charge up your car?

    More importantly, how do we know that the current electrcity generating infrastructure can adequately accomodate the increased demand for electricity generated by the introduction of such a vehicle? Hell, several parts of the US are already experiencing rolling blackouts several times a year now because they cannot provide an adequate supply of electricity.

    Hence, it's not even remotely clear that the availability of such a vehicle is going to insulate the US from relying on foreign sources of energy or reduce long-term energy costs, particularly when you consider that such a vehicle will necessarily increase demand for energy.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: GM puts Volt engine plant on hold to conserve cash

    Quote Originally Posted by JMak View Post
    So lets get this straight...you're looking at purchasing the volt to avoid skyrocketing gasoline prices and relying on foreign sources of energy. Reasonable.

    But then you cite a rebate check from the government. You really mean that some US taxpayers will be subsidizing your purchase. In other words, you will be subsidizing your purchase.

    Coal is the primary energy course in generating electricity. Nuclear is 2nd with Natural Gas third and Hydro fourth. Oil is fifth. There is currently an assault on coal as an energy source. Nuke power ain't coming back soon. And Natural Gas has a highly volatile commodity price. With the current fetish with alternative fuels, how do you know that such alternatives won't be more expensive than oil? How do you know that cheap coal will be available to generate the electricity necessary to charge up your car?

    More importantly, how do we know that the current electrcity generating infrastructure can adequately accomodate the increased demand for electricity generated by the introduction of such a vehicle? Hell, several parts of the US are already experiencing rolling blackouts several times a year now because they cannot provide an adequate supply of electricity.

    Hence, it's not even remotely clear that the availability of such a vehicle is going to insulate the US from relying on foreign sources of energy or reduce long-term energy costs, particularly when you consider that such a vehicle will necessarily increase demand for energy.
    Well then I guess you won't be buying it, that's your choice.

    Charge time can be done at night at low levels of public usage. Not everyone is charging their car at noon. The electric companies are already researching this and Nevada Power company (NV Energy) has already said to its customers that it can support it.

    As for the rebate, my money is gone out of my paycheck no matter what, this way I get some of it back and put to better use, my use.

    So enjoy your support of OPEC and stand proud and salute the flag as you are pumping each and everytime lol. Me, with my driving times and such it will be far and few in between.

  8. #28
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    02-13-09 @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,942

    Re: GM puts Volt engine plant on hold to conserve cash

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Well then I guess you won't be buying it, that's your choice.


    Charge time can be done at night at low levels of public usage. Not everyone is charging their car at noon. The electric companies are already researching this and Nevada Power company (NV Energy) has already said to its customers that it can support it.
    Boy, doing research is great. Nevada can support it only by diverting more water from the Colorado, something that cannot grow infinitely.

    As for the rebate, my money is gone out of my paycheck no matter what, this way I get some of it back and put to better use, my use.
    With the kind of thinking, why don't we just enact all sorts of policies confiscating our income to subsidize the individual consumption choices of everyone else? The money is going to be taken anyway.

    So enjoy your support of OPEC and stand proud and salute the flag as you are pumping each and everytime lol. Me, with my driving times and such it will be far and few in between.
    I love how you use gas consumption as some perjorative. Reveals your level of intellectual integrity.

    BTW - nice duck.

  9. #29
    Banned Iriemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    12-19-15 @ 10:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,405

    Re: GM puts Volt engine plant on hold to conserve cash

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Well you can gamble with foreign countries that control oil all you want, I won't have to in a few years as much as I do now.

    Again, you are looking at it per year, I am looking at it that gas is going to skyrocket again and am planning on it accordingly. Also with the volt you are able to get a rebate from the government.

    Hey if people want to remain ignorant and reliant on foreign oil as their primary fuel, that's up to them.

    Me I will take my chance on Using American Energy as my primary source, not Foreign.
    I'm not criticizing your choice or arguing that there aren't benefits to the hybrid.

    Folks were criticizing GM for halting production development. My point is that the market drives demand for such vehicles, and at $2/gal for fuel with a recession, I question whether there is going to be much demand for these vehicles. Apparently GM questions that as well. At $4/gal, a hybrid makes twice as much sense from an economic perspective.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: GM puts Volt engine plant on hold to conserve cash

    Quote Originally Posted by JMak View Post
    Boy, doing research is great. Nevada can support it only by diverting more water from the Colorado, something that cannot grow infinitely.
    You act like the ENTIRE population is going electric, it isn't. As for NV electric saying they can support it you will have to show proof to your assertation that they will be diverting more water from Colorado to do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by JMak View Post
    With the kind of thinking, why don't we just enact all sorts of policies confiscating our income to subsidize the individual consumption choices of everyone else? The money is going to be taken anyway.
    LOL you asked why I was complaining about my money being returned, I wasn't complaining, you were. Nice duck yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by JMak View Post
    I love how you use gas consumption as some perjorative. Reveals your level of intellectual integrity.

    BTW - nice duck.
    And again, you make assumptions that everyone is going to go electric. They aren't. As Kernal and Gill pointed out some just simply cannot.

    I for one assumed you would welcome those that can go electric do so to lessen the use of foreign oil. I guess you aren't and you support OPEC.

    As more and more people show interest in electric and as the technology grows, the demand for better electric infrastructure will also increase.

    People won't be able to turn away nuclear power so easily and it will create jobs in America. I don't understand why you are so against it. Are you against American made or something?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •