Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Shoe thrower 'beaten in custody' .

  1. #21
    R.I.P. Léo
    bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    05-17-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,649

    Re: Shoe thrower 'beaten in custody' .

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    Who beat him up? I thought he was the new hero of the Arab world? I thought all the Arabs think it's awesome to throw shoes at Bush.

    I hope our new president tells all those people to piss off.

    Bush got rid of the one man that killed more Muslims than any other man in history.

    We helped the Muslims in the Balkans. We tried to help them in Somalia. We helped them in Kuwait. We helped them in Afghanistan.

    We have lost 4,000 soldiers in Iraq trying to keep those savages from killing each other after we liberated them from a complete madman.

    Seriously, who needs them?
    you need their oil and you don't need to call them "savages"

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Shoe thrower 'beaten in custody' .

    Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    you need their oil and you don't need to call them "savages"
    I live in Louisiana. I don't need anybody's oil.

    I believe calling your enemies savages is still appropriate in the US.

  3. #23
    R.I.P. Léo
    bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    05-17-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,649

    Re: Shoe thrower 'beaten in custody' .

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    I live in Louisiana. I don't need anybody's oil.

    I believe calling your enemies savages is still appropriate in the US.
    so why do you mind when Iraqis call their ennemies "dogs"?

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,940

    Re: Shoe thrower 'beaten in custody' .

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    BBC NEWS | Middle East | Shoe thrower 'beaten in custody'

    Muntadar al-Zaidi has allegedly suffered a broken arm, broken ribs and internal bleeding, his older brother, Dargham, told the BBC....

    ...Mr Zaidi threw his shoes at Mr Bush at a news conference, calling him "a dog".

    ....A spokesperson for the Iraqi military says the journalist is in good health and said the allegations were untrue.



    If the allegations are true it is distressing and is quite an indication of the way "democracy" and "human rights" have been brought to Iraq.
    So again another libbie blames America for what is first a RUMOR and second he deserves 5-10 years in prison for insulting a foreign dignitary whether it was an American or Lithuanian. He is a journalist, not a street fighter. GUILTY!
    It's nothing more than X's and O's.

  5. #25
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Shoe thrower 'beaten in custody' .

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    BBC NEWS | Middle East | Shoe thrower 'beaten in custody'

    Muntadar al-Zaidi has allegedly suffered a broken arm, broken ribs and internal bleeding, his older brother, Dargham, told the BBC....

    ...Mr Zaidi threw his shoes at Mr Bush at a news conference, calling him "a dog".

    ....A spokesperson for the Iraqi military says the journalist is in good health and said the allegations were untrue.



    If the allegations are true it is distressing and is quite an indication of the way "democracy" and "human rights" have been brought to Iraq.
    Odd, Here it shows a study that 10% of the male population in Australian prisons suffer from rape, many on a daily basis. I guess that is quite an indication of the way "Democracy" and "human rights" factor into Australia.

    Actually it doesn't, and neither does it here. Taking a single incident, espicially one that while regrettable is hardly something unheard of in ANY civilized country in this world, and trying to make a claim with it is ignorant. Furthermore, doing it without proper historical scope is equally ignorant. IF this story is true, and so far there's no proof of it at all, it is regrettable but is much better than the likely death sentence for him and his family under the previously regime. To me, the fact that didn't happen is signs of progress. If he was beaten, it is a sign that there's still progress that needs to be done (as there is everywhere, be it Iraq, the U.S., or Australia).

    However honestly the posts in this thread seems to be that people who always enjoy bashing America deciding to glom onto a story that has little to no credible evidence backing it just to get on the "America Sucks, the Iraq War is a failure!" bandwagon

  6. #26
    R.I.P. Léo
    bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    05-17-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,649

    Re: Shoe thrower 'beaten in custody' .

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Odd, Here it shows a study that 10% of the male population in Australian prisons suffer from rape, many on a daily basis.
    wow


    I guess that is quite an indication of the way "Democracy" and "human rights" factor into Australia.

    Actually it doesn't, and neither does it here.
    and no one has said that neither

    Taking a single incident,
    it's not a "common" prisonner, this guy is famous worldwide, every newspaper is talking about him. It's a very stupid idea to beat him

    espicially one that while regrettable is hardly something unheard of in ANY civilized country in this world, and trying to make a claim with it is ignorant. Furthermore, doing it without proper historical scope is equally ignorant. IF this story is true, and so far there's no proof of it at all,
    it's not as if it was a rumor from a conspiracy website, numerous newspapers talk about it
    BBC NEWS | Middle East | Shoe thrower 'beaten in custody'
    Iraqi shoe thrower 'beaten in custody' - Middle East, World - The Independent
    Iraqi shoe thrower badly beaten in custody, claims brother | Media | guardian.co.uk


    it is regrettable but is much better than the likely death sentence for him and his family under the previously regime. To me, the fact that didn't happen is signs of progress. If he was beaten, it is a sign that there's still progress that needs to be done (as there is everywhere, be it Iraq, the U.S., or Australia).
    If I smash your face, you won't complain, because I could also have killed you???

    However honestly the posts in this thread seems to be that people who always enjoy bashing America deciding to glom onto a story that has little to no credible evidence backing it just to get on the "America Sucks, the Iraq War is a failure!" bandwagon
    I fail to see the "America Sucks, the Iraq War is a failure!" posts

  7. #27
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Shoe thrower 'beaten in custody' .

    Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    and no one has said that neither
    Ummm, Bub?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    If the allegations are true it is distressing and is quite an indication of the way "democracy" and "human rights" have been brought to Iraq.
    Yeah, someone did say that THIS single act would be QUITE an indication of the way democracy and human rights were brought to Iraq, and note the " " around the words implying them in name only.

    it's not a "common" prisonner, this guy is famous worldwide, every newspaper is talking about him. It's a very stupid idea to beat him
    Wait wait wait, so we're to hold him to a higher standing because he is a "famous" prisoner for doing an illegal act? So would you also agree his punishment should be to a higher standard because he attacked a "famous person" in his illegal act?

    I didn't say it wasn't stupid to beat him. I said its not an inidcation that somehow democracy and human rights haven't really be brought to Iraq.

    And yet, reported or not, its still a rumor. There's rumor Rhom Emmanual was involved in the Blago scandal, and its reported on by a number of papers...yet I said there too that it was foolish to really be commenting on it with any kind of definitive feel at this time. Rumor is rumor, rather its hugely reported rumor or not. Let us remember back to the huge amount of Rape and Murder going on in the Super Dome during Katrina.

    If I smash your face, you won't complain, because I could also have killed you???
    Bad example.

    If you had excrutiatingly killed about 20 people before me, and then you just punched me in the face, I wouldn't assume that I had it just as bad as those other 20 people.

    Under the previous regime this guy if he had done this to Saddam would've likely been killed and potentially his family as well if history of that regime tells us anything.

    In this he was arrested, and supposedly beaten while in custody.

    Is that a good thing? No, not at all.

    Is it an indication that Iraq hasn't moved closer to "democracy" and "human rights" than it was under the Sadam regime? No, not at all.

    But that was what the OP was implying.

  8. #28
    R.I.P. Léo
    bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    05-17-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,649

    Re: Shoe thrower 'beaten in custody' .

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Ummm, Bub?



    Yeah, someone did say that THIS single act would be QUITE an indication of the way democracy and human rights were brought to Iraq, and note the " " around the words implying them in name only.
    sorry, I had not seen that part


    Wait wait wait, so we're to hold him to a higher standing because he is a "famous" prisoner for doing an illegal act? So would you also agree his punishment should be to a higher standard because he attacked a "famous person" in his illegal act?

    I didn't say it wasn't stupid to beat him. I said its not an inidcation that somehow democracy and human rights haven't really be brought to Iraq.
    I was just saying that it was particularly stupid, because everyone has been talking about him one or two days ago, and that if he was beaten it would be quite a bad advertisement for the situation in Iraq (even if, as you say, it is a single example and it is not representative)

    (and not being beaten isn't a "higher standing", it's just the way it should always be)


    And yet, reported or not, its still a rumor. There's rumor Rhom Emmanual was involved in the Blago scandal, and its reported on by a number of papers...yet I said there too that it was foolish to really be commenting on it with any kind of definitive feel at this time. Rumor is rumor, rather its hugely reported rumor or not. Let us remember back to the huge amount of Rape and Murder going on in the Super Dome during Katrina.
    we'll see, but it's still from BBC news and not from "yankeegohome.iq" or "globaljihad.net"


    Bad example.

    If you had excrutiatingly killed about 20 people before me, and then you just punched me in the face, I wouldn't assume that I had it just as bad as those other 20 people.

    Under the previous regime this guy if he had done this to Saddam would've likely been killed and potentially his family as well if history of that regime tells us anything.

    In this he was arrested, and supposedly beaten while in custody.

    Is that a good thing? No, not at all.

    Is it an indication that Iraq hasn't moved closer to "democracy" and "human rights" than it was under the Sadam regime? No, not at all.

    But that was what the OP was implying
    yeah, probably

  9. #29
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Shoe thrower 'beaten in custody' .

    No problem, I can understand your confusion if you didn't see the OP.

    My issue isn't really with discussing this potential rumor. Its in the implication that somehow someone being beat in prison is a sign that the "democracy" and "human rights" brought to Iraq are apparently fraudulent, while ignoring the fact that:

    1) such action is found in EVERY country, civilized or not.
    2) he would've had much much worse happen to him most likely under the Saddam Regime.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Shoe thrower 'beaten in custody' .

    If he was indeed beaten while in custody that is just plain wrong and there is no excuse for it. However, it had to cross the mind of the journalist that if he did do something like this there would be a chance that he would be beaten.

    I mean in prison, inmates are not supposed to get ass raped, but it happens.

    There is no excuse for it, but then again there is no surprise either when it happens.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •