Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 234

Thread: Priest: Playboy cover resembling Mary 'desperate,' 'blasphemous'

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Priest: Playboy cover resembling Mary 'desperate,' 'blasphemous'

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I'm not really sure why a discussion about cover of a wankin' mag that was done up to look like Mary in a church has devolved into a discussion about faith vs. atheism.

    It seems to me that the issue here is what can be construed as blasphemy to those who have faith. Obviously no atheist is going to be bothered by the cover for obvious reasons.

    Now someone of faith, especially catholicism, could be legitimately offended by this. The issue becomes Is Playboy wrong in doing this, and should they be prevented from doing this.

    Now, in a culture that values free expression, there is no way that one could argue that Playboy should be prevented form doing this. If you do not value free expression, then you can argue that this should be prevented. I think that is a losing argument because it is forcing your opinions down everyones throat to call for legal prevention of free expression.

    As far as the inherent "wrongness" of the cover, it depends on Playboys goal and if the goal works. If they truly meant the cover to honor Mary, then they were wrong given the context of the magazine. They will offend those with faith more than they will please them with this depiction.

    But if the goal was to sell issues of Playboy, then they may be "right" in doing so because controversy tends to sell magazines.

    I don't think the cover is tasteless like the crucifix in a jar of piss "art" is tasteless, (and I don't really think anyone would say that it is that tasteless), but there are plenty of people who would and do find it to be tasteless. They are fully correct in having that opinion. I don;t think anyone has the right to tell them that they don't have the right to this opinion.

    They also have the right to SHARE that opinion and call it "blasphemous" and "desperate" and try to "punish" Playboy through the free market with boycotts etc..

    That is the beauty of a free society.

    Turning this into a discussion about faith vs. atheism is just plain retarded.

    This is an issue I have with a portion of the atheist population. They often take these issues that are VALID issues within the religious community and try and turn it into a "bash faith fest".

    I implore my fellow atheists to look at this cover and ask themselves what damage is done to them by letting Catholics and people of faith protest it within their rights.

    Seriously. Are we lessened by the fact that people of faith are able to use the free market for which it was designed?

    Why turn this into a chance to impugn their beliefs?

    I understand the fear of a slippery slope where we allow those who are offended to get their way on every issue, but the way to approach this is NOT to attack them for their feelings and beliefs.

    Honestly, if you want to protest their protests, PURCHASE the magazine. Make it the best selling issue of Playboy of all time. Playboy will hear your protest where it counts, their bottom line. If they profit immensely on this issue, then you will have successfully made them realize that they should not cater to those who are offended, but instead they should try and do these things more often in the future.

    Send a letter to Playboy stating that you have subscribed to their magazine specifically because of this cover. You would like to see more things like it in the future.

    Don't bash people for their faith. There is no point to that.

    That's my opinion on the issue. This is not a chance to promote atheism, nor is it the time to "defend" the lack of faith.
    Well said.!

    And for the record: The cover is not that bad--but it is also not very respectful of the Virgin Mother, or those who are devout. I'm certain Mary was beautiful--and at Christmas time, what I thought of when I saw her breast nearly exposed was Our Lady nursing and nurturing the Incarnation at His birth (but I'm a freak, so... )

  2. #162
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Priest: Playboy cover resembling Mary 'desperate,' 'blasphemous'

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    I'm certain Mary was beautiful--and at Christmas time, what I thought of when I saw her breast nearly exposed was Our Lady nursing and nurturing the Incarnation at His birth (but I'm a freak, so... )
    That's how I took the picture as well. I guess we're both freaks.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #163
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Priest: Playboy cover resembling Mary 'desperate,' 'blasphemous'

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Well said.!

    And for the record: The cover is not that bad--but it is also not very respectful of the Virgin Mother, or those who are devout. I'm certain Mary was beautiful--and at Christmas time, what I thought of when I saw her breast nearly exposed was Our Lady nursing and nurturing the Incarnation at His birth (but I'm a freak, so... )
    Hmmmm I'm fairly impressed with your take on this image. The Vatican has a great collection of fine art and it looks like it has made an impression on you for the good..

  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Priest: Playboy cover resembling Mary 'desperate,' 'blasphemous'

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    That's how I took the picture as well. I guess we're both freaks.
    In honor of "black 'brother' Jesus".....
    YouTube - Le Freak - Chic (HQ Audio)

  5. #165
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Priest: Playboy cover resembling Mary 'desperate,' 'blasphemous'

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Liberalism is, at its worst, extreme rationalism, universalism, egalitarianism, authoritarianism, contempt for anything settled, traditional, sacred or decent basically. Think Rousseau. Modern, Western Athiesm, imho, reinforces some of these.
    So your argument is that Liberalism is bad and atheists promote it?
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-24-09 @ 08:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    964

    Re: Priest: Playboy cover resembling Mary 'desperate,' 'blasphemous'

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Sheesh, CNN's Rick Sanchez (as usual) isn't conducting an interview. He's supposed to be a journalist soliciting the opinions of others, not taking over the "interview" by spouting his own opinions. His leading and provocative statements were commentary, not journalism.

    Anyway, I'm not Catholic so it doesn't offend me. It seems the reaction of the Catholic community is a bit over the top, but then again I'm non-religious so I frequently feel the puffed-up blasphemy allegations of most religions are over the top.
    For me a wild guess is that the "mother of God" must be as good looking as that girl in the Playboy magazine...

  7. #167
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Priest: Playboy cover resembling Mary 'desperate,' 'blasphemous'

    BTW, Sanchez is a tool. He's offended by everything.


    Just had to get that off of my chest.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  8. #168
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Priest: Playboy cover resembling Mary 'desperate,' 'blasphemous'

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Uh... it's the Mexican edition of Playboy. Why wouldn't the title be in Spanish? The whole dang magazine's in Spanish, because it's for sale in Mexico, where most people don't speak English.
    Why does that- the language- seem particularly troubling to you?
    I detect some insensitivity and obtrusiveness or denseness here.

  9. #169
    Folle
    Urethra Franklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    European Union
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,323

    Re: Priest: Playboy cover resembling Mary 'desperate,' 'blasphemous'

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post


    Are you English?
    No.
    "C'est le dernier qui a parlé qui a raison"
    Amina.

  10. #170
    Folle
    Urethra Franklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    European Union
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,323

    Re: Priest: Playboy cover resembling Mary 'desperate,' 'blasphemous'

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Kind of funny because of all the PMs I get from people commenting exactly the opposite. .
    From the friends who've thanked your post? Why am I not shocked?

    Your original comment gave me the best laugh I've had all year Ludahai. Thank you.

    Do have a happy Christmas.
    "C'est le dernier qui a parlé qui a raison"
    Amina.

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •