Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 234

Thread: Priest: Playboy cover resembling Mary 'desperate,' 'blasphemous'

  1. #131
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Priest: Playboy cover resembling Mary 'desperate,' 'blasphemous'

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I'm old skool. I prefer directing the blasphemer to the rack or a bonfire. Nothing like the smell of roasting heathens in the morning.
    I've often said that in England we should get the old Smithfield fires burning again.
    Last edited by Wessexman; 12-16-08 at 08:03 PM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  2. #132
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Priest: Playboy cover resembling Mary 'desperate,' 'blasphemous'

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Well you wouldn't do it otherwise would you, unless you have some evangelising athiest agenda. Which many seem too like the idiot Dawkins.

    Blaspheming though tends to mean insulting not just challenging.
    Blasphemy - A contemptuous or profane act, utterance, or writing concerning God or a sacred entity.

    By challenging God I am blaspheming and, according to you, upsetting people.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Priest: Playboy cover resembling Mary 'desperate,' 'blasphemous'

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Blasphemy - A contemptuous or profane act, utterance, or writing concerning God or a sacred entity.

    By challenging God I am blaspheming and, according to you, upsetting people.
    I don't think anyone here would have a problem if you blasphemed in private just as we Christians don't pray in the company of those who are offended by it. Well, respectful Christians, anyway.

  4. #134
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Priest: Playboy cover resembling Mary 'desperate,' 'blasphemous'

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Blasphemy - A contemptuous or profane act, utterance, or writing concerning God or a sacred entity.
    Contemptuous or profane to me suggests insulting not simply challenging.

    By challenging God I am blaspheming and, according to you, upsetting people.
    Well I don't see why you have to do it publically personally, unless you are trying to convert people to your viewpoint.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  5. #135
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Priest: Playboy cover resembling Mary 'desperate,' 'blasphemous'

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Contemptuous or profane to me suggests insulting not simply challenging.
    By challenging God to prove his existence to me, I am blaspheming.

    Well I don't see why you have to do it publically personally, unless you are trying to convert people to your viewpoint.
    I never said I did it publicly... That was something you assumed. I would hope people would honestly not be offended by "OMG God is liek teh super GAY!!1!!1" but people's sensitivity never ceases to amaze me.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  6. #136
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Priest: Playboy cover resembling Mary 'desperate,' 'blasphemous'

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    By challenging God to prove his existence to me, I am blaspheming.
    Not unless you are being contempuous or profane by your own definition.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Priest: Playboy cover resembling Mary 'desperate,' 'blasphemous'

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Well I don't see why you have to do it publically personally, unless you are trying to convert people to your viewpoint.
    Christians try to convert people all the time. Why is it bad for atheists too?

    Christians try to convert people by telling them they are sinners and will go to hell if they don't accept Jesus Christ into their lives. Atheists try to convert people by telling them God is a fairy tale and not real.

    Both groups make an assumption they cannot prove with facts.

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Priest: Playboy cover resembling Mary 'desperate,' 'blasphemous'

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    By challenging God to prove his existence to me, I am blaspheming.



    I never said I did it publicly... That was something you assumed. I would hope people would honestly not be offended by "OMG God is liek teh super GAY!!1!!1" but people's sensitivity never ceases to amaze me.
    When you do that, you are insulting a very integral part of what makes up a person of faith. Their faith is as much a part of them as is their brown or blonde hair or their eye color or their accent.

    The insensitiviy of the faithless never ceases to amaze me.

  9. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Priest: Playboy cover resembling Mary 'desperate,' 'blasphemous'

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Not unless you are being contempuous or profane by your own definition.
    That's according to you and how you view. I know some people that take real offense if you say "God Damnit" around them.

    In other words, what you may not find offensive of blasphemy someone else might. It's all subjective.

  10. #140
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Priest: Playboy cover resembling Mary 'desperate,' 'blasphemous'

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Christians try to convert people all the time. Why is it bad for atheists too?

    Christians try to convert people by telling them they are sinners and will go to hell if they don't accept Jesus Christ into their lives. Atheists try to convert people by telling them God is a fairy tale and not real.

    Both groups make an assumption they cannot prove with facts.
    Ummm...when has that happened here in this thread? Why is it that the rabid atheists always have to try to draw first blood in any discussion?

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •