Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 65

Thread: Small Child's Remains Found Near Home of Caylee Anthony's Family

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Small Child's Remains Found Near Home of Caylee Anthony's Family

    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I hope the bones are Caylee's. Sad to say it, yes, but at least she can finally be laid to rest and we can discover what happened to the poor little girl.

    It is clear that Casey has no remorse for what she has allegedly done. It's like Caylee doesn't exist to her - and because of her actions, and reactions, I wouldn't be surprised if her lawyers don't try to argue that she was criminally insane at the time.
    If that body is Caylee's, then a 738 (mental fitness) exam is warranted. If she is judged incompetant to stand trail, she can certainly spend the rest of eternity in the maximum security wing of the state mental hospital.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Small Child's Remains Found Near Home of Caylee Anthony's Family

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    Uh, okay. If you want to insult me for my point of view, be my guest. It shows to me that you feel somehow threatened by my point of view. I realize that the idea of moral relativism isn't for everyone and I don't expect everyone to subscribe to it. I have respect for your beliefs, can you not have a similar respect for mine? Or does it just offend you too much?
    Actually, yes moral relativism is a scourge on humanity. It encourages people to avoid taking a stand for anything, it allows evil to act because people are too afraid to pass judgment or take a stand... after all, who are we to decide that they are evil?

    It's horrible. If you cannot set a framework of good and evil, right and wrong... anything goes. And further more you automatically incapacitate yourself from being able to stop the action.

    A guy I know here at the University got into this one day. The discuss was on bank robberies. He said "If I saw someone rob a bank, and was able to some how stop them, I wouldn't." I asked "Why not?" "Because I don't know why he's robbing the bank, what if he needs that money to pay for a sick child, or feed his family? It's not my place to decide."

    I was utterly flabbergasted at his attitude.

    So no, I do not respect your opinion, it's fundamentally flawed, inherently dangerous and ultimately destructive to society.

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    No, I refuse to take a stand because I don't consider mental illness or even selfishness to be evil. And again, even in the area of selfishness I believe that every act is a selfish act. There are varying degrees of selfishness, absolutely, but to judge a person for committing a selfish act is a little hypocritica. We are selfish creatures by nature.

    What do you mean what do I believe in? Are you referring to religious beliefs or just general ideals/views?
    See, you believe in nothing. You are AFRAID to take a stand.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  3. #33
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Small Child's Remains Found Near Home of Caylee Anthony's Family

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Actually, yes moral relativism is a scourge on humanity. It encourages people to avoid taking a stand for anything, it allows evil to act because people are too afraid to pass judgment or take a stand... after all, who are we to decide that they are evil?
    A scourge on humanity?
    It's just a difference of opinion. Get over yourself. And no, it isn't a method to avoid taking a stand for anything. People can stand up for things all they want without believing in absolute concepts of "good" or "evil". Are you seriously going to imply that the only reason people stand up for things is if they believe in such absolute concepts? Take into account the fact that I'm not saying that these concepts don't exist on individual levels. I'm merely saying that the absolute concepts of "good" or "evil" don't exist.

    It's horrible. If you cannot set a framework of good and evil, right and wrong... anything goes. And further more you automatically incapacitate yourself from being able to stop the action.
    You're right, anything does go. Life is unpredictable. To try and define it in such simplistic terms is absurd.

    A guy I know here at the University got into this one day. The discuss was on bank robberies. He said "If I saw someone rob a bank, and was able to some how stop them, I wouldn't." I asked "Why not?" "Because I don't know why he's robbing the bank, what if he needs that money to pay for a sick child, or feed his family? It's not my place to decide."

    I was utterly flabbergasted at his attitude.
    That's not even the same argument. While I may be a moral relativist, I can certainly see a reason to stop the guy. Self preservation is the highest law. I would try to survive and if that meant attacking the guy then so be it. Though, I probably wouldn't care if he robbed a bank because I'm sure that he would get caught and that my interference into the situation probably wouldn't change it at all. That is what the police are for.
    So no, I do not respect your opinion, it's fundamentally flawed, inherently dangerous and ultimately destructive to society.
    Then I could give a rat's ass about your opinion.

    See, you believe in nothing. You are AFRAID to take a stand.
    No, I asked for some clarification on your question because it didn't specify whether you were talking about general views/ideals or religious views. I will be more than happy to answer the question if you can clarify it.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Small Child's Remains Found Near Home of Caylee Anthony's Family

    Without believeing in good or evil, how can you believe in anything? How can you know that your actions are correct?
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  5. #35
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Small Child's Remains Found Near Home of Caylee Anthony's Family

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Without believeing in good or evil, how can you believe in anything? How can you know that your actions are correct?
    I know that my actions are correct because I define what my actions are. I am the master of my own destiny and accept responsibility for my own action.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Small Child's Remains Found Near Home of Caylee Anthony's Family

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    I know that my actions are correct because I define what my actions are. I am the master of my own destiny and accept responsibility for my own action.
    This allows you to take any action you can self justify. You have no measure of right and wrong, good or evil other then what you decide is right and good or wrong and evil.

    What about others actions?
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #37
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Small Child's Remains Found Near Home of Caylee Anthony's Family

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    This allows you to take any action you can self justify. You have no measure of right and wrong, good or evil other then what you decide is right and good or wrong and evil.

    What about others actions?
    Yes, of course. However, actions do come with consequences and obviously I take full responsibility for my own actions. I have my own personal definitions of right and wrong, and good or evil. Well, actually I don't really have a definition of "good" or "evil". It mostly is due to the fact that I don't like the words and they has certain implications that I just find ridiculous.

    What other actions? Give me some examples.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Small Child's Remains Found Near Home of Caylee Anthony's Family

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    Yes, of course. However, actions do come with consequences and obviously I take full responsibility for my own actions. I have my own personal definitions of right and wrong, and good or evil. Well, actually I don't really have a definition of "good" or "evil". It mostly is due to the fact that I don't like the words and they has certain implications that I just find ridiculous.

    What other actions? Give me some examples.
    I meant the actions of other people.. like someone else does something.. do you even care what they do if it does not effect you personally?

    You say there are consequences, applied by who, by what... how do you know these consequences are right?
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  9. #39
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,672

    Re: Small Child's Remains Found Near Home of Caylee Anthony's Family

    Y'know. I think you're both right. The lines are blurry as to what truly defines what. But there really should be some established perimeters defining what is evil or not. Something on paper.

    That is not to say, for one second, that a person will subscribe to said boundries in their actions. But it would take some of the gray area out of what is and what isn't.

    I want to be proteced from the people who do not consider their actions to be evil.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  10. #40
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Small Child's Remains Found Near Home of Caylee Anthony's Family

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    I meant the actions of other people.. like someone else does something.. do you even care what they do if it does not effect you personally?
    If it is something that doesn't affect me or someone that I care about then it's hard for me to care a lot, just as it is for most people. I'm not going to pretend to have the same amount of empathy for others that I would about the people that I care about. Typically when people do feel empathy for others it is because they imagine themselves or loved ones of theirs in a similar situation. So in that way I would care, but it would be limited to empathizing based on imagining myself or people I care about in that situation.

    You say there are consequences, applied by who, by what... how do you know these consequences are right?
    Well, actions of others and the law. If I do something I should know the consequences of my actions. If I don't fully consider those actions and do it anyway I have nobody but myself to blame. Few people take responsibility for their own actions. Particularly in the religious community people like to use the devil as a scapegoat and say things like "the devil made me do it" or "it was God's will." I don't have to agree with the consequences of my actions in order for them to affect me because I'm only in control of my own actions.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •