Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 120

Thread: Ill. Governor taken into custody, Obama's seat part of inquery...

  1. #91
    Student AuHtwoh64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    162

    Re: Ill. Governor taken into custody, Obama's seat part of inquery...

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    I wonder how Patrick Fitzgerald's indictment against the governor will be received by those who thought his indictment against Scooter Libby was a joke. Will you claim that these allegations are a joke too? Or did Fitzgerald turn into a reputable US Attorney since he stopped being the special prosecutor?

    I don't see this situation implicating Obama. I really don't.
    There is a difference between mis-remembering a conversation some months back (when the only crime is in mis-remembering - a process crime) and seeking to sell to the highest bidder a Senate seat, and having actual recordings of conversations by the accused in the hands of the prosecutor. However, I still would not trust the prosecutor here. This looks like some very quick action to put a stop to things which might go too far and get out of control.

    In the last day Jonathan Alter (Newsweek and NBC News) said “I would not be surprised if Blagojevich did not tell lies about Obama in this to try to bring him down” Any clues to what he may fear Blago saying? What about Blago's inference to wanting an Ambassadorial appointment? Who makes Ambassadorial appointments?

    ...
    Last edited by AuHtwoh64; 12-10-08 at 03:28 PM.
    AuHtwoh64


    ~ Goldwater in 64 ~

  2. #92
    Professor
    shiznit770's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,393

    Re: Ill. Governor taken into custody, Obama's seat part of inquery...

    Anyone hear if any names have been revealed, specifically if anyone made offers to Rod. I know Fox news threw Jesse Jackson Jr. out there and hinted that he may have offered up to 500k, but I couldn't find any articles on it.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-24-09 @ 08:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    964

    Re: Ill. Governor taken into custody, Obama's seat part of inquery...

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    This is one of your more sensible posts; we are in agreement on this one.

    As much as I disagree with Obama's politics, this would be a disaster if Obama is connected in any way with the shady politics surrounding almost all his past associations in Chicago politics.

    It is my sincere hope that he is not dragged into this case; but better to vet him now than to wait until AFTER his inauguration in my opinion.
    I don't know why but since yesterday I can't evade to hear the melody of the theme of the Godfather's movie every time Obama is shown on TV...

  4. #94
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Ill. Governor taken into custody, Obama's seat part of inquery...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tashah View Post
    On Monday, the Illinois General Assembly will propose and vote on a new bill that would strip Governor Rod Blagojevich of the power to appoint a new Illinois Senator to replace Barack Obama. The seat would be filled via a statewide general election. Blagojevich could veto the bill, but the General Assembly could then in turn overturn his veto. Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan has promised to seek a court restraining order on behalf of Illinois citizens if Blagojevich dares to appoint anyone before the new bill takes effect.
    This is exactly what they should be doing. This man is so arrogant, that I think he would try to get that seat filled. He's a complete jackass.

    Speaking of jackasses, his wife sounds like she isn't any different than her husband.

    However, according to the complaint, [Blagojevich's wife] was the voice in the background spewing an ugly suggestion to "just fire" some newspaper editors if the Tribune Co. hoped for state assistance to sell Wrigley Field, the storied home of the Chicago Cubs.

    "Hold up that (expletive) Cubs (expletive)," she says as her husband is talking on the telephone. "(Expletive) them."

    Governor's arrest puts spotlight on wife - Politics- msnbc.com
    Classy, Mrs. Blagojevich....real classy. I hope she's implicated. It sounds like she has had problems in the past with dishonesty.

  5. #95
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Ill. Governor taken into custody, Obama's seat part of inquery...

    Quote Originally Posted by AuHtwoh64 View Post
    There is a difference between mis-remembering a conversation some months back (when the only crime is in mis-remembering - a process crime) and seeking to sell to the highest bidder a Senate seat, and having actual recordings of conversations by the accused in the hands of the prosecutor. However, I still would not trust the prosecutor here. This looks like some very quick action to put a stop to things which might go too far and get out of control.

    In the last day Jonathan Alter (Newsweek and NBC News) said “I would not be surprised if Blagojevich did not tell lies about Obama in this to try to bring him down” Any clues to what he may fear Blago saying? What about Blago's inference to wanting an Ambassadorial appointment? Who makes Ambassadorial appointments?

    ...
    Your description of Libby's charges shows me how partisan you are. There is a difference between misrembering and lying before a grand jury. I believe that a jury convicted him of lying. Do you know something that they don't? Did you sit in the courtroom day in and day out listening to everyone's testimony? Do you have evidence that the jury didn't see? I doubt it.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: Ill. Governor taken into custody, Obama's seat part of inquery...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Chicago is corrupt. You can not trust Chicago politicians. They are good at hiding what they do as the whole of the system from the politicians to the cops to the judges are corrupt. I've seen that system, I know what they are about. To come up through the Chicago political system means shady dealings. I don't care if there is an R or a D or whatever next to your name. They all take bribes, the political machine there is not dead. It's very much run like organized crime from top to bottom. That is an absolute. Trust a Chicago politician at your own risk. Obama is dirty, even his little land deal which while technically legal horribly abused the spirit of the law. That's how it is done there, they write the rules, they enforce the rules, they judge the rules, they make sure there are enough loopholes for themselves to get away with whatever it is they feel like getting away with. Absolute.
    What a ridiculous and unsubstantiated conclusion! You have nothing, zero, not one shred of proof to back anything you've written except "any politician from Chicago is corrutp."

    I've read a lot of things in this thread and not one other poster has come close to making **** up and preaching it as truth as you have. I stated previously that you've lost this particular debate big time because debates are based on making points with verifiable facts and your entire argument does not contain one fact that links Obama to anything that has to do with corruption in Chicago other than he lives there!

    C'mon now, how about debating with some proof and how about you toss out the bull**** partisan posts that you've made and instead try using the truth to back up your point of view.

    You do realize that the only people in this thread who could possibly agree with you are people who have a prejudice against Obama and will support almost anything negative about him that you would claim truth be damned?

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: Ill. Governor taken into custody, Obama's seat part of inquery...

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    He's still yet to show in any way a systemic amount of corruption in Alaska even close to that in Illinois.
    Well I can prove statistically that Alaska is far more corrupt politically based on political crimes per 100,000 population. The great state of Alaska is the THIRD MOST CORRUPT STATE in the USA when you measure actual convictions of politicians per 100,000 people.

    North Dakota is first
    Louisiana is second
    ALASKA IS THIRD
    Mississippi is fourth and
    Montana is fifth.

    Illinois is ranked 18th! Not even close to the worst state.

    North Dakota tops analysis of corruption - USATODAY.com

    North Dakota Tops State Corruption List

    Alaska has a US senator who has been convicted of felonies THIS year. Alaska is as corrupt as it gets politically and to deny this is to deny the facts.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: Ill. Governor taken into custody, Obama's seat part of inquery...

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    What irony coming from people who claimed that there was guilt by association of the entire Bush Administration in the comedic spoof known as the Plame affair.

    The only time people like you appear to be skeptical is if the person has an "R" next to their names; but if you have a "D", you require irrefutable proof and suggest that guilt by association is only righteous if YOU do it.

    It truly is a comedy we see unfolding in the Congress and Illinois scumbag politics; it might even be funny if it wasn't so harmful to the credibility of our political processes.
    The convicted felon/liar Scooter Libby was the Chief of Staff to the Vice President of the United States. That is not guilt by association that is someone taking a big, long **** in their own backyard.

  9. #99
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Ill. Governor taken into custody, Obama's seat part of inquery...

    Quote Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
    Well I can prove statistically that Alaska is far more corrupt politically based on political crimes per 100,000 population. The great state of Alaska is the THIRD MOST CORRUPT STATE in the USA when you measure actual convictions of politicians per 100,000 people.

    North Dakota is first
    Louisiana is second
    ALASKA IS THIRD
    Mississippi is fourth and
    Montana is fifth.

    Illinois is ranked 18th! Not even close to the worst state.

    North Dakota tops analysis of corruption - USATODAY.com

    North Dakota Tops State Corruption List

    Alaska has a US senator who has been convicted of felonies THIS year. Alaska is as corrupt as it gets politically and to deny this is to deny the facts.

    My friends and I were discussing this last night. But North Dakota-style politics doesn't sound nearly as nefarious as Chicago-style Politics does.

    Plus people like to smear Chicago because we are so much better than every other place in the world...

    Chicago > Everwhere Else
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: Ill. Governor taken into custody, Obama's seat part of inquery...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    My friends and I were discussing this last night. But North Dakota-style politics doesn't sound nearly as nefarious as Chicago-style Politics does.

    Plus people like to smear Chicago because we are so much better than every other place in the world...

    Chicago > Everwhere Else
    It's kind of hard to argue with the facts, isn't it? The poster (Jallman) who was so defensive about Alaska and how it is in no way as politically corrupt as Illinois was speaking from his heart not from his head.

    Hell ex-Senator and convicted felon Ted Stevens was found guilty on seven felony counts and still only lost the election by a few thousand votes so it's not just the politicians in Alaska who accept corruption but it's also the general populace who are willing to overlook felonies by their Senator because he was great at bringing home the bacon for Alaska...isn't that like the general public accepting bribes for their vote...aka "Pay to Play"?

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •