Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 148

Thread: US successfully tests anti-missile shield

  1. #21
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: US successfully tests anti-missile shield

    Quote Originally Posted by RightOfCenter View Post
    No one else is a threat.

    MAD assures our safety.
    MAD applies to scenarios involving WMDs and complete annihilation which is why I posed this question: http://www.debatepolitics.com/1057838323-post8.html
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  2. #22
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: US successfully tests anti-missile shield

    Quote Originally Posted by boblzer0 View Post
    i never said i agreed with pumping infinite money into a missile defense system either.
    Explicitly no. But taking your argument to its logical conclusion does suggest that we should simply throw money at defense projects until they work.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: US successfully tests anti-missile shield

    Quote Originally Posted by RightOfCenter View Post
    At least this proves it's not a complete money sink.

    Is this system really necessary to our current conflict? Our enemies are incapable of striking us with missile weapons (don't bring up Russia or China, they are boogeymen). I really think this money could be spent more effectively in other areas.
    Why would you think that Russia and China are mere boogeymen?

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: US successfully tests anti-missile shield

    Quote Originally Posted by RightOfCenter View Post
    No one else is a threat.

    MAD assures our safety.
    I would argue that MAD assures mutual destruction while the anti-ballistic missle system offers an alternative that would not requires the complete assured destruction of mankind.

    ::shrugs::

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: US successfully tests anti-missile shield

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    And your argument is essentially to keep throwing money at it until it works. Do you suggest the same thing for our schools and for our health system?
    You're kidding me right? You don't think we are already throwing money into the sinkhole called public education and getting nothing for it??

  6. #26
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: US successfully tests anti-missile shield

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    You're kidding me right? You don't think we are already throwing money into the sinkhole called public education and getting nothing for it??
    Of course I'm kidding. Citing education and health care was meant to serve as a tool to make him reexamine his position on the throwing money logic.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: US successfully tests anti-missile shield

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Of course I'm kidding. Citing education and health care was meant to serve as a tool to make him reexamine his position on the throwing money logic.
    Ohhhhhkay.....I am not sure I like helping you with your argument.


  8. #28
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: US successfully tests anti-missile shield

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Ohhhhhkay.....I am not sure I like helping you with your argument.

    I personally like the ratio of resources to kills that is brought up in World War Z. We should make decisions about defense based on how many people (in that the book Zombies) we can kill with certain resources. The fewer resources to more kills is the better option. Of course it's not applicable everywhere (aka, rescues and medivac or non-lethal operations) but it's not a bad way to look at defense spending.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #29
    Student Pinu7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    In your kitchen, drinking all your kool aid.
    Last Seen
    09-05-11 @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    196

    Re: US successfully tests anti-missile shield

    I wonder what the libs from the Reagan era must think now LOL.
    It only took 25 years and hundreds of billions of dollars.

    Too bad that if a WMD enters this country, it would enter through our poorly protected ports.


    We shouldn't have started this in 1983. The technology wasn't advanced enough to do a task so complicated. So most SDI funding in the 20th century was a waste. It was only within the past decade that we were able to progress this.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: US successfully tests anti-missile shield

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinu7 View Post
    I wonder what the libs from the Reagan era must think now LOL.
    It only took 25 years and hundreds of billions of dollars.

    Too bad that if a WMD enters this country, it would enter through our poorly protected ports.


    We shouldn't have started this in 1983. The technology wasn't advanced enough to do a task so complicated. So most SDI funding in the 20th century was a waste. It was only within the past decade that we were able to progress this.
    I would put forth the argument that the mere psychology of SDI was what assisted the final break up of the Soviet Union. It was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back.

    Russia started to come to the realization that they could never win the arms race while their nation starved.

    It could be said that it was worth every penny spent; itís just another view of the argument, carry on.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •