Page 80 of 83 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast
Results 791 to 800 of 824

Thread: Atheists take aim at Christmas

  1. #791
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    35,427

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    I'm not denying that it's mean spirited, rude, ignorant, etc. I do, however, believe it's perfectly acceptable for that sign to be there, right beside the Nativity Scene.
    I agree. I don't think his reaction has anything to do with his faith though. I think it has more to do with him seeing it as an attack on religion, which unfortunately it is.

    An attack is an aggressive move on the offenders part. When someone or something is attacked, someone will defend it. I think he is just defending that which he sees as under attack.

  2. #792
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I agree. I don't think his reaction has anything to do with his faith though. I think it has more to do with him seeing it as an attack on religion, which unfortunately it is.

    An attack is an aggressive move on the offenders part. When someone or something is attacked, someone will defend it. I think he is just defending that which he sees as under attack.
    Understandable.

    He, being a Christian, would be under the assumption that he's living in God's light and has Christ in his heart and all of that. So I guess I'm having trouble understanding why he would care if someone is telling him he's wrong. He should simply laugh and shrug it off.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  3. #793
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 01:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    I'm not denying that it's mean spirited, rude, ignorant, etc. I do, however, believe it's perfectly acceptable for that sign to be there, right beside the Nativity Scene.
    That is where we disagree, I don't feel it is at all acceptable to be at it's location, I would go as far as to say it could be in the same general area, but on top of another belief's symbol is harsh.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with faith at all. It was just a mean spirited rude action, nothing more.
    Bingo!
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #794
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    That is where we disagree, I don't feel it is at all acceptable to be at it's location, I would go as far as to say it could be in the same general area, but on top of another belief's symbol is harsh.
    Again, your argument is very emotional.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  5. #795
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 01:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Understandable.

    He, being a Christian, would be under the assumption that he's living in God's light and has Christ in his heart and all of that. So I guess I'm having trouble understanding why he would care if someone is telling him he's wrong. He should simply laugh and shrug it off.
    Don't get me wrong, if it had been the other way around I would be just as offended, I believe in freedom of but not from religion(or belief), and I don't believe anyone should be directly attacked for their beliefs, laughed at sometimes.....sure when something is dogmatic, but not directly attacked.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #796
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    35,427

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Understandable.

    He, being a Christian, would be under the assumption that he's living in God's light and has Christ in his heart and all of that. So I guess I'm having trouble understanding why he would care if someone is telling him he's wrong. He should simply laugh and shrug it off.
    If someone called me a "nigger" should I just laugh because I am conferrable in my skin? Or do you think I would be insulted comfortable or not? I can tell you I would be insulted.

    I would not handle it in the same way as him, but the thing they did is no less insulting to me as a Christian as well.

  7. #797
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 01:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Again, your argument is very emotional.
    Eh, not really using emotion on this one, when I said "I feel" it was more of the "it could be construed as an attack" rather than my personal feelings, and harsh is a pretty good descriptive term for doing something like this during a religious celebratory time.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #798
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 01:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    If someone called me a "nigger" should I just laugh because I am conferrable in my skin? Or do you think I would be insulted comfortable or not? I can tell you I would be insulted.

    I would not handle it in the same way as him, but the thing they did is no less insulting to me as a Christian as well.
    I'm not insulted as a Christian or specifically Catholic per se, I am more insulted at the notion that the Atheists are arrogant, and looking to deny other people their happiness in a time that is very happy for them. Fact is, I am more spiritual than religious and think many of the celebrations and symbols are secondary to the holiday, but the symbolism behind this particular act disgusts me simply as an American.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #799
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    If someone called me a "nigger" should I just laugh because I am conferrable in my skin? Or do you think I would be insulted comfortable or not? I can tell you I would be insulted.
    Really? You want to have this stupid argument?

    Religion is a choice, race is not. Thanks for playing.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  10. #800
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Don't get me wrong, if it had been the other way around I would be just as offended, I believe in freedom of but not from religion(or belief), and I don't believe anyone should be directly attacked for their beliefs, laughed at sometimes.....sure when something is dogmatic, but not directly attacked.
    If Christians put up a sign that said "Celebrate Christmas. There is only one true God! Evolution is wrong and the Big Bang never happened!" I would giggle.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

Page 80 of 83 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •