Page 55 of 83 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 824

Thread: Atheists take aim at Christmas

  1. #541
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post


    In your opinion. Sounds like you're pretty bitter to me.
    Actually, I'm quite happy, I live in the greatest nation on the planet, neither of us will be executed for our viewpoints nor beaten severely, it's Christmas time, my friends are great, and my religious beliefs are protected, as are yours. Nope, I'm good.


    I never claimed that it does. Simply saying that religious symbols are used for communal celebration on holidays doesn't make it right or necessary to have those symbols on public property.
    Necessary? No. Right? possibly, depending on the Time Place and Manner. The subject of this debate, the particular sign in question, unwarranted.


    In your opinion. In my opinion placing the nativity on tax payer property, knowing that not all tax payers are xian, is condescending, insulting, rude, and placed in a disrespectful manner.
    I don't see a problem with it, I will concede that taxpayer money is the problem, but if a church wanted to donate the manger scene, would you not agree that it would be more tolerable?


    I am a reasonable person. Making an appeal to popularity is a fallacy. Not to mention that your statement could also be construed as an ad hominem.
    Fair enough, but I am not necessarily making an appeal to popularity, more or less the community standards argument, which is more or less what is deemed acceptable and proper in a communtiy versus what is taboo, I don't necessarily believe in that argument when it comes to censorship, but rather for expression of sentiment, such as the manger scene, hell, I'd even let the sign go if it didn't have at least one of the TPM standard trifecta involved.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #542
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    Yes I'm using "you, your" et al in the general sense and if it doesn't apply to you then it wasn't directed at you. If you are arguing for or against one side then I am assuming it's OK to present my argument against your words.
    OK, just making sure.


    I don't think I can be more clear on that subject.
    I think you can. Try restating it. The sentence is devoid of punctuation, other than a period, and the modifiers are ambiguous.


    If lumping together all those who believe in an a deity makes me an extremist then either you don't understand the term or are using it incorrectly.
    Neither, since the assertion you are attributing to me is not what I said. Re-read my post. It is not your lumping together of all those who believe in a deity that makes you and extremist. It is your lumping together of all those who believe in a deity and attacking them because of their belief that makes you an extremist.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #543
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    I am using the Bible to show that there is Scriptural evidence for the December 25th date to counter those who say it was solely chosen to convert pagans.
    BS. You have only stated one passage backing the date and you are using it completely out of context...

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    The Gospel According to Luke gives us the most information regarding the Birth of Jesus. In Luke 1:26, it says "In the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a town in Galilee called Nazareth, (27) to a virgin betrothed to a man named Joseph, of the House of David." Measureing the Jewish Calendar from Rosh Hoshanna, the sixth month frequently falls in March in the modern solar calandar. This is the time we celebrate the Annunciation.
    You seem to think the sixth month means a month in the calendar year. If we look as this passage in context though we find that the "sixth month" is actually refrencing Elizabeth's sizth month of gestation with John the Baptist.

    Luke 1: 24 And after these days Elisabeth his wife conceived; and she hid herself five months, saying,
    Luke 1: 25 Thus hath the Lord done unto me in the days wherein he looked upon me, to take away my reproach among men.
    Luke 1: 26 Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth,
    Luke 1: 27 to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.
    Luke 1: 28 And he came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favored, the Lord is with thee.
    BibleGateway.com - Passage*Lookup: Luke 1;
    Last edited by Gibberish; 12-16-08 at 02:40 AM.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  4. #544
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    BS. You have only stated one passage backing the date and you are using it completely out of context...



    You seem to think the sixth month means a month in the calendar year. If we look as this passage in context though we find that the "sixth month" is actually refrencing Elizabeth's sizth month of gestation with John the Baptist.


    BibleGateway.com - Passage*Lookup: Luke 1;
    Then please explain to me why LUke 1:31 says, "Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son."? Future tense indicates that the conception has NOT occurred yet, making your claim that the "sixth month" refers to anything but the month of the year.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  5. #545
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Why did you change the name in that quote to say my name, even though it was Slippery Slope who said it?



    Dunno. I don't think I did that. Board err?


    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  6. #546
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    [QUOTE=Slippery Slope;1057849498][QUOTE=Reverend_Hellh0und;1057849309]
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    Obviously you thought wrong. Since when has the concept of good or evil been the sole property of religion?




    I simply hear that argument a lot from athiest. Mostly in reference to Bush and his axis of evil comments.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #547
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    If you do not believe in the Christian concept of God, it should not really matter. People tell me if I kill someone I can go to jail and get the death penalty, I am not offended. If you told me I was going to hell to burn because I did not worship your God, most reasonable people would laugh and not be offended, I would not.

    The only reason I can think that this mite offend is because you think the offending Christian may be right?



    You say everyone should respect each others beliefs, then you rally against Christians and they are somehow hypocrites?
    I should laugh at people when they insult me and imply that I am gonna go burn in Hades forever? Maybe you have a better sense of humor than me but I do not take kindly to insults about getting tossed into fire!

  8. #548
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    I should laugh at people when they insult me and imply that I am gonna go burn in Hades forever? Maybe you have a better sense of humor than me but I do not take kindly to insults about getting tossed into fire!

    I like blackdog have thicker skin.


    I don't worry what others believe. Try it sometime.,
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #549
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Actually you are not correct on many points.

    #1 In stating the truth it makes you no less a hypocrite.

    #2 The Judo/Christian religions are not a rip off of other religions do to the fact religions from different regions of the world have great flood epics and yet no plagiarism was involved. Many such things exist with all religions. This does not mean they where copied.

    Satan is not a name given to Lucifer in the Bible. The Hebrew name "Satan" actually means "adversary," and most often in the Hebrew Bible it is prefaced by the direct object, meaning "the adversary" rather than a distinct personal name. His name in the Bible is "Lucifer." It was the Catholic church which started using it as a proper name for the devil.

    So as you can see you are operating under a few biblical misconceptions.
    All humans are hypocrites. This is a fact of life.

    The Christian faith is indeed a rip off of others. Explain why most major Xtian Holidays are pagan based!

    The first Good V/S Bad Concept does stem from Zorasterism and that is all the Christian Faith consist of: good v/s bad.

  10. #550
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Winter Solstice isn't in December?
    Baby Jesus was not born in Dec. It is impossible. But most X-tians refuse to admit this.

Page 55 of 83 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •