Page 49 of 83 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 824

Thread: Atheists take aim at Christmas

  1. #481
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    You're absolutely right in that putting that nativity scene on public property violates yout TPM. It was put there during a holiday season (Yule tide), directly in front of a government building and on public property (secular) and was done so to incite acrimony from nonbelievers, by being condescending, arrogant, superiorist, smug.
    Hah! You do not get the concept of Time Place Manner at all. You're personal offense is not required in that, it is not anyone else's problem but YOURS if you see offense where there is none intended. Religious symbols at holiday times are done for communal celebration, if YOU are personally offended by that it's your problem. The sign in question done by the Atheists was done specifically to attack. Time:Christian Holiday, Place: Public Square, Manner: Condescending and directly in front of a Christian symbol. Any reasonable person of multiple faiths could be offended by that behavior. You are trying to argue that Time:Christian Holiday, Place: Public Square, Manner: Reverential toward said Christian holiday offends YOU so it is an attack, get over yourself, most reasonable people would either participate or ignore, YOU however and that 5% I have talked about earlier in this thread have decided to become butt hurt over it.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #482
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Prove Evil exists.
    Man exists. All good and evil are descriptions of actions taken by man. There will always be those whom fit our description of good and always be those whom fit our description of evil. So long as man exists, good and evil will exist. So to prove evil exists, one must only prove that man exists.

    How do we define these things? The actual definition is very cultural, but the absolute rests in the rights of the individual. Religions were created in part to enforce the moral code of the society and hence have built into them the same innate sense of right and wrong which were concluded by the society to be the best operating parameters for that.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #483
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Prove Evil exists.
    Genesis 6:5": And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #484
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    A myth - "separation of church and state", this never did exist.
    Completely agree
    A majority of us have no fear of being blatantly attacked by a Naivety Scene.
    Understood, and appreciated, and your side of this is more than welcome to celebrate with us, I have no problem with people of good will, in any form of belief.
    That some extremest atheists are tells me they are mentally disturbed, at least...
    That's my theory as well, those types, I do have a problem with.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #485
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Genesis 6:5": And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
    How is the Bible proof of anything?

  6. #486
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Genesis 6:5": And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
    Well if the mythical sky daddy said it it must be true

  7. #487
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Man exists. All good and evil are descriptions of actions taken by man. There will always be those whom fit our description of good and always be those whom fit our description of evil. So long as man exists, good and evil will exist. So to prove evil exists, one must only prove that man exists.

    How do we define these things? The actual definition is very cultural, but the absolute rests in the rights of the individual. Religions were created in part to enforce the moral code of the society and hence have built into them the same innate sense of right and wrong which were concluded by the society to be the best operating parameters for that.
    I love a great exercise in logic.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #488
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    How is the Bible proof of anything?
    How is anything proof of anything?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #489
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Here's the problem as I see it...and it, as usual, starts with the extremists. You have some religious extremists who proselytize and attempt to push their beliefs on everyone, claiming that what they think is "correct". This, of course, brings the extreme atheists out of the woodwork, insulting anyone who believes in GOD. Now, what this accomplishes is a few things. Firstly, both groups of extremists attack everyone on the other side of their ideology, even those, of whom are the vast majority, who couldn't give a hoot about what anyone else believes and have no desire to place their beliefs on anyone else. Secondly, these non-extremists grow tired of being needlessly attacked, by the opposing extremists, sometimes forcing them to become more aggressive in order to defend themselves against unprovoked attacks. Lastly, this causes more of a divide, all cause by extremists who, with seeming little ego strength, feel the need to push their positions on others, or feel the need to degrade others positions, when, for the most part, those that they oppose could care less about imposing their beliefs on anyone else.

    So, I now propose a question for atheists who seem to like to attack those of faith. I believe in GOD. I have no intention of placing my beliefs on you or anyone else. I do not want religion mixed with government in any way and will fight as strongly as you will against that happening. I am content to live my life with my beliefs and have no issue with you living yours with yours. Why do you feel the need to attack and degrade my belief system to me when I will not, in any way, attempt to place my beliefs on you?
    Because placing your religious trappings on property owned by every citizen, when you could and usually do place it on property owned by your religion is the same as saying that you have no regard for other people who own that property as well. Every time you place something religious on public property you are saying to those who do not believe in your religion (not just atheists) that you think we are all stupid for not believing as well as saying I don't care about your beliefs because you are wrong and I am right. You are pushing your religion in my face just as surely as if you walked up to me on the street and shoved a cross in my face and called me a heathen. I do not want your religious garbage on my property, you want to put it there against my wishes therefore you are the instigator.

    Now, you made it fairly clear that you think you are not one of the extremists and you want us to believe you have the live and let live attitude. Do you feel the same way about the majority of muslims that do not stand up against the extremists in their religion or does providing the foundation for extremism only apply to other religions?

  10. #490
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Personally I think the whole separation of church and state thing is a pointless argument. Since Christianity is the majority religion in this country, it will continue to win out over other religions for a long time. Honestly, I'm just glad that we have freedom of religion in this country and are able to celebrate our own individual religions whatever they be. When I see a nativity scene at a government building, I don't think of it as evil or really that big of a deal. It annoys me because I think there should be a clear separation of church and state. However, that's my opinion and I'm more than welcome to express it just as others are more than welcome to defend such a thing. However, I must say that the Christians should get used to this kind of opposition from people as long as they continue to monopolize the limelight. I feel no sympathy for them at all. It's the cost of living in a country where we have freedom of religion and freedom of speech.

Page 49 of 83 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •