Page 44 of 83 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 824

Thread: Atheists take aim at Christmas

  1. #431
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    What in what you quoted of mine had an ambiguous tone?
    The word "one's".

    Mythbusters is awesome because they do their own work, on Bull**** the guys just pay a crazy research team, or hire actors. But I'm a huge fan of Penn.
    I like Penn, but he's a bit over the top...which I'm sure is his intention. I can't count how much I've learned from Mythbusters. I know that if I am ever being chased by someone with a gun, and I am unarmed, I'm finding some water to dive into.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #432
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Who called anyone stupid because the disagree?
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you personally did this, I am saying that the behavior involved in the story, which is an admittedly small minority of Atheists, is at the heart of the matter here is the problem, and yes, I do concede that there exists that attitude in all religions to some degree as well.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #433
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Oh I see, well there are two atheists on this board who are "strong atheists" and insult people, but for the most part everyone else is quite reasonable...
    Which is probably why I got a little defensive earlier, sorry if I assumed something that isn't reality.

    In my experience its the believer who takes offense where there is none, and cannot understand the difference between "you're wrong here's why" and "you're stupid because you're wrong."
    True, I don't know if wrong is the preferential word here since anything is technically still possible, but the point is taken.



    I think its because most people are under the impression that its alright to criticize ones opinions about politics, history, current events, etc... but never their supernatural beliefs. Those beliefs are "sacred" to them and often the underlying premise in their whole worldview.
    Religion is one of the most powerful beliefs in our world, which is why there are so many fights over it I would guess.

    You wouldn't believe how many times people confuse my skepticism with cynicism, or my certainty and tone with arrogance.
    Fair enough.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #434
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    And yet when I asked you TWICE in which posts I could find said information you refused to. Only telling me that you posted something which would support your claim, is a bit like telling me that you already cited court cases to me, which you didn't. Or its like citing a book or a letter saying that somewhere in there is the answer to my alleged misunderstanding, and yet you refuse to quote it for me, or even tell me where to look.
    Yeah, I was upset about something earlier and was a little contentious. The cases are Chaplinski v New Hampshire, it was a more serious degree but similar to the current news bit here, Chaplinski actually started a fight and lost the case, it was noted as a freedom of speech issue. The other case was Gitlow v New York, it involved the advocation of violence, there was another one Brandenburg v Ohio, involving incitement to riot.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #435
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    I've said "great surveillance camera in the sky" but that was to make the point that fear of god is a contemptible reason to be good.
    Learning through shock, one of my methods when necessary, I like it. You are correct though, ethics should not come from fear, rather from wanting to be good as an unselfish want to treat others with kindness and dignity.



    not being able to disprove a claim is not an argument for its truth.
    I agree with this, which is why I get offended by absolutists where beliefs are concerned, I realize that I cannot prove I am correct any more than the next faith, and would hope the majority of us are likeminded in the matter.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #436
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    I disagree, by allowing religious symbols to be placed on public property the government is saying we support this religion above others. The government would have to allow every religion to put up their symbols too and then of course what if someone's religious scene obscured another's? The simple solution is to not allow ANY religious symbols on public property. How can you deny this simple statement of reason?
    So, by allowing someone to make a speech on government property says that the government supports this form of speech above others?
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  7. #437
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    The fake moral outrage that certain Christans do each year over their Holy Holiday and the Fake War on Christmas disgust me. It is so very ironic since Christians stole the Christmas idea from Pagans. Anybody that knows the least little thing about religion knows this and also knows there is no way in hell that Jesus was born in Dec. Give me a break and spare me the fake outrage over some non X-tians trying to ruin your special day that you stole from so called Heathens.. *Snickers*
    I have already gone ahead and shown that this idea for Christmas was NOT stolen from the pagans. Interesting that I have shown evidence that the date was NOT completely pulled out of thin air and that there is actually scriptural support for it. I have pointed out that many of the symbols of the holiday that are allegedly pagan in orgin and indicate that the holiday itself has pagan origins actually have their origins CENTURIES after the December 25th date was codified.

    If you are going to make such ignorant comments, please read the rest of the thread and note the references to scripture that have already been presented. Thank you and Merry Christmas.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  8. #438
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Why is the double standard ok? Why should Christians be treated with kid gloves? I mean fair is fair.. Why is it they are allowed to say things like if you do not believe you are going to Hell? That is NOT an insult to me? Saying I am gonna go burn in some huge firepot and be tormented forever? I guess that is all ok.. I have never understood this.. Is it because their are more Christians and they should be allowed to all tell me I am going to hell but I best just shut up and not say a word? Glass Houses and Hypocrites come to mind.
    And when you spout off ignorant lies about our religion, don't be surprised if you get called on it.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  9. #439
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Huh? There is nothing hypocritical about anything I said.. I speak the truth.. It is not my fault that your faith is a rip off of several others.. This is just a fact.. Sorry if you do not like my speaking facts.. I am not trying to insult ya.. Just being honest..
    Care to back up your claims with a few facts?

    Be careful, some have already tried to claim that there is no basis for the December 25th date save to convert pagans and that the use of "pagan" symbols is proof of that - those have already been shot out of the water. You are welcome to try, but don't be surprised if some on here actually challenge you on it.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  10. #440
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Care to back up your claims with a few facts?

    Be careful, some have already tried to claim that there is no basis for the December 25th date save to convert pagans and that the use of "pagan" symbols is proof of that - those have already been shot out of the water. You are welcome to try, but don't be surprised if some on here actually challenge you on it.
    Winter Solstice isn't in December?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



Page 44 of 83 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •