Page 42 of 83 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 824

Thread: Atheists take aim at Christmas

  1. #411
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    For the record? I am an eclectic pagan with a fondness for various types of religion. Any and all religions fascinate me.. I think they should all be respected too..
    You say all this, then rail against Christianity then finish off with...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Also Christianity is a rip off of Zoroastrism.. Zoroastrism created the first "Satan".. It just really annoys me that people blindly follow along like sheep and really know nothing about their religion and are blinded by such extreme dogma that they just are like Robots!
    Just a tad hypocritical don't you think?

  2. #412
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Why is the double standard ok? Why should Christians be treated with kid gloves? I mean fair is fair.. Why is it they are allowed to say things like if you do not believe you are going to Hell? That is NOT an insult to me? Saying I am gonna go burn in some huge firepot and be tormented forever? I guess that is all ok.. I have never understood this.. Is it because their are more Christians and they should be allowed to all tell me I am going to hell but I best just shut up and not say a word? Glass Houses and Hypocrites come to mind.

  3. #413
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You say all this, then rail against Christianity then finish off with...



    Just a tad hypocritical don't you think?
    Huh? There is nothing hypocritical about anything I said.. I speak the truth.. It is not my fault that your faith is a rip off of several others.. This is just a fact.. Sorry if you do not like my speaking facts.. I am not trying to insult ya.. Just being honest..

  4. #414
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Ill take it.
    Good. Always nice when someone is willing to receive a window into themselves.

    I agree that a big part of communication is knowing your audience, however I will not accept undue guilt. The purpose of the flying spaghetti monster is to provide a simple example of why an argument ad ignorantiam is not convincing.

    Lots of people hear what they want to hear, or have knee jerk reactions to certain notions. If a woman asks me if I find her overweight, and I say no, and she turns that into "So you think I'm too skinny?!?" That is HER FAULT and hers alone.
    I agree with your example and your statement that it is her responsibility. I stated something similar on the "happy holidays" thread. However, your example does not fit the premise. This is a more accurate analogy:

    Woman: Am I overweight?
    You: No, and skinny people look terrible.
    Woman: So you're saying I look terrible?

    Your additional commentary was unnecessary, and accented a point. The insinuation was indirect but was there. You have some responsibility in this one.

    I only get nasty in response to nasty, if you can point out a single post I've made to anyone where I was the 1st one to sling insults, and I can't find an earlier post that warranted said insult, I would gladly write them an apology and CC you on.

    I've been on DP all day, and trust me I've been dealing with quite a few people who were insulting from the start.

    Only one of them was willing to go back and review who "started it" (UtahBill) and since then our debate has become far less venomous.
    Not for public consumption, and could end up threadjacking this. I'm about to log off. I'll re-look at this thread, tomorrow and see. I know you were gone for a bit, so some more extensive research may be in order.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #415
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    And one does not need to debate with disregard for the other's position. Makes one seem argumentative and weakens their position.
    I don't understand, don't you mean no regard for their feelings?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    But you see, I don't. Evolution should be taught in classes. That's it. I am probably one of the biggest proponents of comprehensive sex education, and anti-abstinence only education on this forum. When you attack and insult these religious extremists, who, I have little use for either, you alienate an ally: ME.
    I don't understand that. If I attack the 6000 year old earth theory, and you don't hold it, how am I alienating you? In fact you should be in the middle of it, explaining how one can be a Christian (or whatever you are) without being a biblical literalist.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I have always said that it is far more powerful from extremists to be confronted by the moderates of their own political persuasion than anyone from the opposite side.
    Full agreement.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    By alienating me, and others like me, you fall into the trap of the hypothesis that you agreed with me on.
    Again I don't understand why you would be alienated by the debunking of someone else's mystical claim.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    See. Here is where you did it. Delusions. Unnecessary. Insulting. My belief system is my own. What I do with it has no effect on you; I won't allow it to. Here, it is you who drops the constructivity of debate and become degrading.
    Actually I think this is a case where you've taken something I said personally when that was not the purpose of the use.

    I was not talking about your beliefs when I said "delusions," because I don't know what they are. You said you believe in a god, I don't know what you mean by that. You could be using the word the way Hawking or Einstein do, referring to the Universe. And that isn't a delusion!

    When I was talking about the rare instance that people are "generally concerned about the actions one's delusions could lead them to" I literally meant that. In any instance where you fear that something someone believes, that you know is not true, will cause them to behave in a dangerous manner, to criticize that delusion is what it means to respect them.

    When dealing with a stranger, such as you, who does not make truth claims about his faith for all to attempt to debate, but keeps his faith to himself and you have no reason to believe it will effect them or yourself, there is no reason to debate or even criticize that belief.

    Someone has to put themselves out there to get my attention, making assertions about things they couldn't possibly know, I don't bait people who keep it private.

    Now if you want to be offended because I refer to demonstrably false supernatural claims as delusions, simply because you hold supernatural beliefs of your own... I again don't understand.

    It would be like if said that astrology were B/S, and a homeopathist took offense. I never said anything about your beliefs, unless I identified a fallacy that is the rationale for your belief.

    Why is delusion offensive if it is an accurate identification? You don't regard the word "false" or "wrong" or "illogical" as offensive as well do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I tend to stay out of religious debates other than to do what I am doing here. Pointing out the attacking nature of the extremists of both sides and hoping for some reasonable discussion. One's beliefs are their own and without proselytizing, IMO, harm no one.
    Don't think I haven't noticed, this is the first time you've spoken to me on religion I think.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  6. #416
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Why is the double standard ok? Why should Christians be treated with kid gloves? I mean fair is fair.. Why is it they are allowed to say things like if you do not believe you are going to Hell? That is NOT an insult to me? Saying I am gonna go burn in some huge firepot and be tormented forever? I guess that is all ok.. I have never understood this.. Is it because their are more Christians and they should be allowed to all tell me I am going to hell but I best just shut up and not say a word? Glass Houses and Hypocrites come to mind.
    No, actually the things you are saying that they say to you are NOT OK. At all. Just as your comments towards them are not. You are correct; fair is fair.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #417
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Unfortunately the average Joe does not read science journals and this is what causes the problem. 99.9% of the human race will never read a science journal. The perceptions they have are molded by things like an encyclopedia.

    I also doubt the writers of an encyclopedia are all that concerned with "seeking sound bites."
    I don't think they all are, but I know that communicating science to the public is a huge issue in the scientific community now. Every science podcast I have frequently discuss the pitfalls...

    There is a man named Dr. Michael Stebbins who is currently working w/ Obama's transition staff, but before that he was doing weekly updates on science in politics and he offered alot of insigts into the inherent problems with both sides.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  8. #418
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Huh? There is nothing hypocritical about anything I said.. I speak the truth.. It is not my fault that your faith is a rip off of several others.. This is just a fact.. Sorry if you do not like my speaking facts.. I am not trying to insult ya.. Just being honest..
    Don't think he's a Christian...
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  9. #419
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Why is the double standard ok? Why should Christians be treated with kid gloves? I mean fair is fair.. Why is it they are allowed to say things like if you do not believe you are going to Hell? That is NOT an insult to me? Saying I am gonna go burn in some huge firepot and be tormented forever?
    If you do not believe in the Christian concept of God, it should not really matter. People tell me if I kill someone I can go to jail and get the death penalty, I am not offended. If you told me I was going to hell to burn because I did not worship your God, most reasonable people would laugh and not be offended, I would not.

    The only reason I can think that this mite offend is because you think the offending Christian may be right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    I guess that is all ok.. I have never understood this.. Is it because their are more Christians and they should be allowed to all tell me I am going to hell but I best just shut up and not say a word? Glass Houses and Hypocrites come to mind.
    You say everyone should respect each others beliefs, then you rally against Christians and they are somehow hypocrites?

  10. #420
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    I don't think they all are, but I know that communicating science to the public is a huge issue in the scientific community now. Every science podcast I have frequently discuss the pitfalls...

    There is a man named Dr. Michael Stebbins who is currently working w/ Obama's transition staff, but before that he was doing weekly updates on science in politics and he offered alot of insigts into the inherent problems with both sides.
    In the end I don't think we disagree so much.

Page 42 of 83 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •