Page 28 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 824

Thread: Atheists take aim at Christmas

  1. #271
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    It would be so nice if some hyperpartisan hacks would develop at least something resembling a sense of humor.
    I find humor in things that are funny. I find humor in the fact that you, of all people, are a fan of calling others hyperpartisan hacks.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  2. #272
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    Atheists take aim at Christmas - CNN.com

    You can see a picture of the sign at the link.

    I agree with the Atheists right to display their own religious message next to the nativity scene but I don't agree with the way they are doing it. There is no reason for them to blatantly attack religion in their message. If they would have written the sign describing their believes and the purpose of Winter Solstice without the attacks then there would no issue here.

    Do you think the atheists went to far with the sign? Should they not be able to place a sign at all?

    I would love to agree with the Atheists here but they are making it hard.
    If Christians had posted a sign saying "there is no Alah and the Muslim faith hardens hearts" atheists would not hesistate to pull out pastaferians and go to war.

  3. #273
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If Christians had posted a sign saying "there is no Alah and the Muslim faith hardens hearts" atheists would not hesistate to pull out pastaferians and go to war.
    That's a bit of an assumption. Not all atheists are fans of the FSM.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  4. #274
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    I find humor in things that are funny. I find humor in the fact that you, of all people, are a fan of calling others hyperpartisan hacks.
    Well there's no accounting for the humor of others else Tom Green wouldn't be around at all.

  5. #275
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    That's a bit of an assumption. Not all atheists are fans of the FSM.
    What's that picture in your sig? Isn't that the same thing other atheists on DP have had as their avatar? Hmm why yes it is. And even more atheists have passionatly supported a student's "right" to wear a pirate costume in class.

    Cite all the exeptions to the rule you want, as exeptions prove the rule.

  6. #276
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    I support a student's right to dress as a pirate. Not so much because I endorse the FSM as much as it's because I fully endorse piracy. Pirates are cool. Way cooler than ninjas.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #277
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    What's that picture in your sig? Isn't that the same thing other atheists on DP have had as their avatar? Hmm why yes it is. And even more atheists have passionatly supported a student's "right" to wear a pirate costume in class.

    Cite all the exeptions to the rule you want, as exeptions prove the rule.
    I stand by my original statement that the majority of atheists are not Pastafarians. Unless, of course, you would like to supply some facts which would support your argument that most of them are.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  8. #278
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by JMak View Post
    I don't need to know the feelings of the townspeople there to recognize the hilarity of that situation.
    Yeah, you do. This was about anti-semitism.

    What they were trying to do was avoid putting up a Menorah by calling the Christmas tree something other than what it was. It's just like avoiding calling Christmas Christmas to avoid offending someone.
    No, they were calling the Christmas tree something else in order to continue their anti-semitism. Do you think that is OK?

    It's removing the central point of the thing in question. The tree wuld not exist but for Christmas. To call it something else is simply dumb.
    I agree, but the reason here has nothing to do with what you are arguing, demonstrating that the whole "war on Christmas" thing is not as widespread as you assert.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #279
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,620

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    That's a bit of an assumption. Not all atheists are fans of the FSM.



    Do all atheists: believe that most meet "sentient beings" from other planets by ingesting drugs?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #280
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: Atheists take aim at Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    Atheists take aim at Christmas - CNN.com

    You can see a picture of the sign at the link.

    I agree with the Atheists right to display their own religious message next to the nativity scene but I don't agree with the way they are doing it. There is no reason for them to blatantly attack religion in their message. If they would have written the sign describing their believes and the purpose of Winter Solstice without the attacks then there would no issue here.

    Do you think the atheists went to far with the sign? Should they not be able to place a sign at all?

    I would love to agree with the Atheists here but they are making it hard.
    I think their sign should be taken down, because it's inappropriate and lacks manners. We as a society have lost our real manners and etiquette, and we desperately need to get them back.
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

Page 28 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •