Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 126

Thread: Chavez seeks indefinite re-election, again

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Chavez seeks indefinite re-election, again

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    50 bucks a gallon
    Oooops, you know that I meant a BARREL; but thanks for catching that.

  2. #12
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Chavez seeks indefinite re-election, again

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Oooops, you know that I meant a BARREL; but thanks for catching that.
    I knew what you meant.....but I couldn't pass up an oppurtunity like that

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Chavez seeks indefinite re-election, again

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    No... it's because he wants to control the oil that the U.S. cares at all. Dictators don't just get tossed out by the powers willy nilly... there has to be something in it for us.

    No.

    We don't like dictators ... of ANY kind. We also do not like 3rd world assholes that invite the Russian Navy waters in which they DO NOT belong.

    Nothing to do with oil.

    Regards,

    Ben P.

  4. #14
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Question Re: Chavez seeks indefinite re-election, again

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I guess you have no problem with Saudi Arabia, Iran, or North Korea's leadership right? Like I said, there are far bigger fish to fry before Chavez that is for sure.
    Why are you trying to hijack this thread? Did you know you have the privilege here at DP of starting your very own thead? Try it, you'll like it.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,889

    Re: Chavez seeks indefinite re-election, again

    Term limits are undemocratic.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Chavez seeks indefinite re-election, again

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Why are you trying to hijack this thread? Did you know you have the privilege here at DP of starting your very own thead? Try it, you'll like it.
    Yes because if I disagree with someone that is hijacking the thread.

    If anyone is hijacking a thread it is you by complaining about it. The fact is there are worse leaders out there in the world than Chavez. Don't like what I write, DEAL WITH IT or put me on ignore, either way I don't care what you think.
    Last edited by TheNextEra; 12-07-08 at 09:18 PM.

  7. #17
    Advisor Richard Nixon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Last Seen
    10-26-16 @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    473

    Re: Chavez seeks indefinite re-election, again

    If he does it democratically then who cares? You can't use the dictator card when he's using a perfectly legitimate democratic process. If the people of Venezuela want to abolish term limits then it's their decision; not every country is the US. I do not, however, agree with him nationalising his industires with the most pathetic excuses. Private enterprise should not be threatened by a leaders socialist ambitions.
    www.thecaffeinemachine.com - looking for main-page political writers, so if anyone is interested send a PM (apologies if that violates any rules)

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Chavez seeks indefinite re-election, again

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Nixon View Post
    If he does it democratically then who cares? You can't use the dictator card when he's using a perfectly legitimate democratic process. If the people of Venezuela want to abolish term limits then it's their decision; not every country is the US. I do not, however, agree with him nationalising his industires with the most pathetic excuses. Private enterprise should not be threatened by a leaders socialist ambitions.
    I guess you missed the part where he is attempting to amend their constitution. He already tried once and failed; what’s new this time around? Is he going to use force or intimidation?

    CARACAS, Venezuela – President Hugo Chavez asked supporters Sunday to petition for a constitutional amendment that would let him seek indefinite re-election and buy more time to build a socialist economy in Venezuela.

    "Last year, when we lost the referendum, I said I should accept the majority's decision," the former paratroop commander told a crowd of red-clad government supporters at a rally in Caracas. But now, he added, "I say you were right: Chavez will not go."


    I could just see the angry ranting in this country had Bush even suggested such an amendment in his first term, then again in the second term. I guess its okay for Democracies that you are not living under right?

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Chavez seeks indefinite re-election, again

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Term limits are undemocratic.
    I would love to hear your reasoning on how having term limits in one's constitution is undemocratic.

  10. #20
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,562

    Re: Chavez seeks indefinite re-election, again

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yes because if I disagree with someone that is hijacking the thread.

    If anyone is hijacking a thread it is you by complaining about it. The fact is there are worse leaders out there in the world than Chavez. Don't like what I write, DEAL WITH IT or put me on ignore, either way I don't care what you think.
    So, your response to the news that a person is trying to make himself dictator is: "well, there are worse leaders out there, so why care"? and somehow, we are to agree with you and say: "Chavez is a good person and he only means well to us and his people, and I'm sure he will do anything he can to benefit democracy and spread freedom, because he is on OUR side!"

    Excuse me but, isn't that logic kind of...aherm...flawed?
    Last edited by DarkWizard12; 12-07-08 at 10:02 PM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •