Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 191

Thread: World of Warcraft release revives concern over games addiction

  1. #1
    Professor
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    11-26-08 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,439

    World of Warcraft release revives concern over games addiction

    World of Warcraft, which creates a vast interactive world for the gamer to explore, has grown into one of the most popular of all online games. More than 11million people worldwide are registered as players.
    But the popularity of the game has led many experts to have concerns over the extent to which youngsters are developing unhealthy addictions.
    Dr Richard Graham, a child psychiatrist at the Tavistock Centre, said: "Some of my clients will discuss playing games for 14 to 16 hours a day at times without breaks and for those the consequences are potentially very severe.
    "The problem with World of Warcraft is the degree it can impact and create a socially withdrawn figure who may be connecting with people in the game and is largely dropping out of education, social opportunities."
    Some of the childen referred to him even failed to attend appointments because they were playing the game, he told the BBC.

    more at link...

    Are video games too addictive? Should we be concerned? Maybe this is the wrong crowd to ask.

  2. #2
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,433

    Re: World of Warcraft release revives concern over games addiction

    Quote Originally Posted by Kayleigh Katz View Post

    Are video games too addictive? Should we be concerned? Maybe this is the wrong crowd to ask.


    It's cool, Bkhad hasn't been around lately

    I personally think some children should spend too much time on the computer or playing video games. When it gets to the point a child is overweight, unhealthy, or getting lazy- action by the parent is probably necessary. If they are just playing to have fun and it's not overcoming their life- I don't see the problem. Myself, if it was my child, I would limit their computer time and make sure they have plenty of outdoor and athletic activity to help fill their time.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: World of Warcraft release revives concern over games addiction

    My problem isn't with video games, it's with reality.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #4
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: World of Warcraft release revives concern over games addiction

    I think as technology in the realm of video games improves, so will the addiction to them. I really liked the idea of the Nintendo Wii because at least that got gamers to get off their asses and engage in at least some physical activity. If only we could find some kind of a constructive use for video games where a person could actually accomplish something while playing them. However, I'm hardly one to speak as I sometimes spend a significant amount of time playing them.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: World of Warcraft release revives concern over games addiction

    Quote Originally Posted by Kayleigh Katz View Post
    World of Warcraft, which creates a vast interactive world for the gamer to explore, has grown into one of the most popular of all online games. More than 11million people worldwide are registered as players.
    But the popularity of the game has led many experts to have concerns over the extent to which youngsters are developing unhealthy addictions.
    Dr Richard Graham, a child psychiatrist at the Tavistock Centre, said: "Some of my clients will discuss playing games for 14 to 16 hours a day at times without breaks and for those the consequences are potentially very severe.
    "The problem with World of Warcraft is the degree it can impact and create a socially withdrawn figure who may be connecting with people in the game and is largely dropping out of education, social opportunities."
    Some of the childen referred to him even failed to attend appointments because they were playing the game, he told the BBC.

    more at link...

    Are video games too addictive? Should we be concerned? Maybe this is the wrong crowd to ask.
    We don't play because we have no life; we play to escape the lives we have.

    My dad drinks, my sister spends a lot of time on the phone, my stepmother uses chat rooms....I Debate Politics and play WoW....we all have a vice.
    Last edited by Jerry; 11-13-08 at 03:32 PM.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: World of Warcraft release revives concern over games addiction

    "But the popularity of ________ has led many "experts" to have concerns over the extent to which youngsters are developing unhealthy addictions."

    This is how it always starts, isn't it? Good-natured concern from parents turns into doom-and-glood analysis from "experts" turns into a legislative crusade to "save the children" turns into another law which further curtails our liberties.

  7. #7
    Banned cascadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In ur threads refuting ur arguments
    Last Seen
    10-28-09 @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,102

    Re: World of Warcraft release revives concern over games addiction

    Quote Originally Posted by Kayleigh Katz View Post
    Some of the childen referred to him even failed to attend appointments because they were playing the game, he told the BBC.
    I loved that one.

    Video games are a form of escapism. When I was younger, I read pulp sci-fi ad nauseum. Trust me, there was very little actual content in those books to be much of an improvement over modern video game storylines. Yes, games are more addictive, but that is largely because they are more engaging, social and participatory than reading a book or watching television.

    I do think parents should be cautious about how their child uses the game. One thing not mentioned in the article, is that WoW comes with parental controls. If the account is in their name, they should be able to monitor and limit the playing time of their child fairly easily.

    I think Blizzard is actually ahead of the curve and have been trying to head off these concerns for a while now. There is no incentive for them to have someone playing 14 hours a day. In fact it probably costs them money in server maintenance. All they need is the monthly subscription.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: World of Warcraft release revives concern over games addiction

    Quote Originally Posted by cascadian View Post
    There is no incentive for them to have someone playing 14 hours a day. In fact it probably costs them money in server maintenance. All they need is the monthly subscription.
    Play-time is exactly like viewership for TV: the more interest they can show advertisers is more money in their pockets.

    The monthly subscription is just gravy.

  9. #9
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: World of Warcraft release revives concern over games addiction

    How many deaths have been attributed to WoW?

    Can't be as high as, oh EverCrack.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #10
    Dangerous Spinmaster
    RightOfCenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Last Seen
    04-14-12 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,736

    Re: World of Warcraft release revives concern over games addiction

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Play-time is exactly like viewership for TV: the more interest they can show advertisers is more money in their pockets.

    The monthly subscription is just gravy.
    Why do you say this? Has WoW been advertising products since I quit playing?
    Quote Originally Posted by SWM
    I never thought infanticide could be so delicious.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •