Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 185866676869 LastLast
Results 671 to 680 of 690

Thread: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

  1. #671
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Since when is a barstool a citizen?
    After the 8th beer or so. Toss in a couple of shots too.

  2. #672
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    The person married to it is.
    Alright, but did the barstool give consent? NO

  3. #673
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    07-05-10 @ 04:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    91

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Does the barstool have an SSN or TIN?

  4. #674
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    In that I agree, however, let's take a look at the likelyhood of that happening anytime soon........zilch.

    So since the government won't step out of it, the only other option is to allow gay marriage.

    I would be 100% agreement with the government getting the hell out of marriage, but the simple fact is they won't, so gays will fight for the same rights of marriage.

    Here is my question, if gay marriage is made legal and since the religious don't agree with everything the state makes legal, why would it matter to the religious if gay marriage is made legal?

    Prostitution is legal in some states with a license, did that affect the religious? NO. So why would gay marriage being legal affect them? Answer? It wouldn't.
    The problem is that the gay couples are fighting the wrong way.
    Instead of fighting for everyone's freedom from government interference they are fighting for the government to step in and take away their freedom. They are in essence selling out to big government the same as straight couples have. For a few dollars in tax breaks and automatic legalities we let the government step into our private lives. IMO heaping more bad government onto the problem will not solve it.

  5. #675
    Advisor Unrein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    09-01-13 @ 02:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    448

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    It does to the citizen. Shouldn't he receive the tax break of being married and have an extra dependent to claim? Furniture polish is expensive!
    I believe a dependant must be at very least be a living thing and claiming dependants is quite different than marital benefits. The stool has no income to get tax breaks on.

    Well, to answer why or why not give tax breaks on the dude's income who is marrying the jobless stool, I would need to understand why breaks are given to married couples to begin with.

  6. #676
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Alright, but did the barstool give consent? NO
    Neither did it express a lack of consent. It's inanimate, it has no rights. It can be treated however a person what's to treat it.
    However the citizen should be provided equal rights under the law correct?

  7. #677
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Instead of fighting for everyone's freedom from government interference they are fighting for the government to step in and take away their freedom. They are in essence selling out to big government the same as straight couples have. For a few dollars in tax breaks and automatic legalities we let the government step into our private lives. IMO heaping more bad government onto the problem will not solve it.
    That's because the government is going to be the only thing to help them.

    Noone is going to vote for getting the government out of marriage. This much is true. Hell, gay marriage has been on the ballot, how many times has "get the government out of marriage" on the ballot have YOU seen?

    Hence the system of government is going to be their only hope since married couples won't get the government out of marriage.

  8. #678
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Neither did it express a lack of consent. It's inanimate, it has no rights. It can be treated however a person what's to treat it.
    However the citizen should be provided equal rights under the law correct?
    Marriage is between Consenting adults. How can an inanimate object give consent?

    Did you miss the CONSENTING part? If you cannot give consent, you cannot get married.

    Hence why a 40 year old man cannot marry a 4 month old infant, even though you may like to see that since you bring up barstools.

  9. #679
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    That's because the government is going to be the only thing to help them.

    Noone is going to vote for getting the government out of marriage. This much is true. Hell, gay marriage has been on the ballot, how many times has "get the government out of marriage" on the ballot have YOU seen?

    Hence the system of government is going to be their only hope since married couples won't get the government out of marriage.
    It's not on the ballot because people don't want to give up their benefits and same sex couples know that they might get straight couples to support them being married also but they know there is no way in hell they would persuade them to give up their benefits.
    This situation doesn't change the fact that it's bad government and should be changed.

  10. #680
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Marriage is between Consenting adults. How can an inanimate object give consent?

    Did you miss the CONSENTING part? If you cannot give consent, you cannot get married.

    Hence why a 40 year old man cannot marry a 4 month old infant, even though you may like to see that since you bring up barstools.
    Resorting to name calling?
    Must be getting desperate.
    A bar stool is consenting as much as it can.
    Who says marriage is between consenting adults?

Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 185866676869 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •