Page 44 of 69 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 690

Thread: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

  1. #431
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post

    Yeah, women have it better then men in the military...........They have very laxed physical requirements, and are not required to serve in actual combat unless they volunteer to do so...........

    Reminds me of a joke I saw.........A bunch of men and women in the army were in formation.......The squad leader orders any women who want to serve in combat take 3 steps forward........Then he says all men take 3 steps forward.......
    Yeah, they have it better. They're not ALLOWED to do what they want to do, that's SOOOO much better than having a choice.

  2. #432
    Student veganshawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    U$A
    Last Seen
    11-11-08 @ 07:36 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    253

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I am going to say this again........Its not about gay marriage......Its about acceptance of the gay lifestyle as and acceptable alternate.......Its about teaching children that the sex acts gays engage in are OK and most people in this country believe that the sex acts they engage in are perversion and before you say it if straight people engage in those acts its perversion to.........
    All children should be taught there is nothing wrong with gay people! If I have to tolerate people clinging to their believe in a white old guy in the sky then the lest they can do is accept that some people are different and that there is nothing wrong with being so. Being a christian is a lifestyle, should I be allowed to discriminate against Christians because I don't agree with their lifestyle? Fine you don't like gays that is your choice, but you lose that choice when you try and force your dislike on them.
    And a lot of people in this country once tolerated racism and sexism, didn't make it right for them nor does it make it right now.
    You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it. -Malcolm X

  3. #433
    Student veganshawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    U$A
    Last Seen
    11-11-08 @ 07:36 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    253

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie1988 View Post
    A recent report from the Department of U.S. Labor showed that women today are paid only 72 cents for every dollar a man earns. “Even more troubling -- the study found that at least one-third -- or about 11 cents -- of the pay gap is caused by pay discrimination against women -- and this is 38 years after the Equal Pay Act became law." said Senator Tom Harkin.


    Even that report is off because it assumes women in lower positions are there for fair reasons in calculations. Women have ALWAYS been the majority in this county, yet men have ALWAYS controlled every institution.

    All rushed for affirmative action to undo racial inequality - but women were left out of that - although women were denied the right to vote, own property, and legal equality in pay half a century longer than black men. There still is no constitutional protection against gender discrimination - a-ok with you, though you want constitutional protection of the sexuality of gays?

    NOT OK WITH ME!

    Sure, gays can have equality after women get it first. These claims of "we won't forget you" have been made by every group demanding equality in relation to inequality for women. Never happens.

    The danger is not if gays don't get equality then women might become 2nd class citizens. Women ALWAYS have been second class citizens in the USA. Paid 1/4th less. Every institution remains dominated by men. "Religious fanatics" are the enemy of women's rights.

    Watch this board. Those posting sexist slurs against women are those also who post liberal and Democrat messages. Most "religious fanatics" at least show some respect towards women as common courtesy. I've NEVER heard or read any Republican or conservative sneering at the topic of equality for women in my lifetime. As we just saw in California, gays obtaining equality in no manner would do anything for equality for women, just as electing a black president with huge minority turnout hurt, rather than helped, gay rights.

    On the topic of equality I'm looking out for ME and mine. Not some other possibly oppressed group saying they should be next again.
    Bonnie1988- Let me say it again, (straight) women are protected against discrimination under federal law, only 17 states protect gays and lesbians.
    A lot of religions teach that a woman should be subservient to their husbands or other men, have you ever read the bible?
    Gay rights would help a lot of women who happen to be gay, do you really think that gay women shouldn't have the same rights as you a straight women?
    You seem like a really smart person, but I have to say you are a little misguided.
    You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it. -Malcolm X

  4. #434
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie1988 View Post
    [COLOR="Blue"]I can give a reason. There's nothing in it for me. I'm not gay. I see no reason to allow another lesser minority group to jump in line in front of women.
    Wrong. That fails test D:

    D) Making an argument in which the word "gays" can be substitute out for "blacks" without changing the basic premise of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie1988
    As for your logic, make an argument in which the word "women" can be substituted out for "gays" without changing the basic premise of the argument.
    I have no idea what you're even *talking* about.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie1988
    I found Jon Stewart's comment of how "oppressed blacks" at the same moment of winning the presidency became the "oppressors of gays" interesting. I'm against gay rights because gay rights activists aren't for my rights and therefore are one of the enemies. Easy to understand.
    Again, if you expect a rebuttal, you'll first need to explain what the hell you're even *talking* about. Gay rights activists aren't for women's rights? Huh?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #435
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I am going to say this again........Its not about gay marriage......Its about acceptance of the gay lifestyle as and acceptable alternate.......Its about teaching children that the sex acts gays engage in are OK and most people in this country believe that the sex acts they engage in are perversion and before you say it if straight people engage in those acts its perversion to.........
    What does that have to do with allowing them to get married like everyone else?

    If the topic is gay marriage and your thoughts immediately turn to anal sex, it sounds to me like YOU are the one who has issues.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 11-08-08 at 05:26 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #436
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    concerning studies showing women get paid less than men, I was part of one prior to 1985...and it was rigged from the start. The people doing the study were temps, hired for the study, and knew almost NOTHING about the jobs being studied. They decided to group secretaries in with electronics techs, among other things. So since secretaries make less than electronics techs, it was determined that techs didn't need a pay raise next time around. It backfired big time....
    These studies are often rigged from the start. A similar one in AZ wasn't about gender, just what the jobs pay compared to other states with cost of living factored in. Results made sense except for one area, and again, the temps didn't know the difference between electricians, Inst. and Control Techs, and Metrologists, so they just guessed at it, placing Metrologists in the lower grade with electricians. I managed to correct the mistake by simply calling every nuclear power plant that had both I&C techs and Metrologists on site, and it was clear that ALL of the other sites paid metrologists the same, or more, than I&C techs.
    Of course, the HR department had it in for me after that...and eventually that interference on my part was punished....
    After witnessing 2 flawed studies, and helping to write another unrelated to personnel issues, I have seen how the data can be manipulated, or just skewed right from the start...
    Last edited by UtahBill; 11-08-08 at 05:33 PM.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  7. #437
    Student
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    08-26-17 @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    192

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    There is a simple solution for "christians"...stop digging into the OT of the Bible...
    Its not a problem for Christians but rather a problem for you gay advocates that they believe so. They have no need to seek anything as they are content with their views. As I related above, none of your arguments ever seriously dents most of the Christian community because it is flawed.

    I am confident even as a relative Christian Bible amateur, I could easily take apart any argument on the matter you might put forward but within this web forum much less this thread, it is not the place for serious structured debate and will otherwise just end up a pizzing contest. Thus this is not a challenge to do so. There is a vast amount of serious argumentation on the matter already available on the web anyone can readily search into. You obviously don't want to believe such logic presented and would rather just read those within your own cause who twist the matter to suit your own goals that you seem to parrot. In the mean time you put forth amateur arguments that reflect your own lack of knowledge of the matter. Otherwise you might already understand the real points scholars have on the controversy and simply have a hidden agenda of dragging a few relatively ignorant of the Bible Christians in with some simplistic statements.
    Last edited by 70s_guy; 11-08-08 at 05:35 PM.

  8. #438
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by 70s_guy View Post
    Its not a problem for Christians but rather a problem for you gay advocates that they believe so. They have no need to seek anything as they are content with their views. As I related above, none of your arguments ever seriously dents most of the Christian community because it is flawed.

    I am confident even as a relative Christian Bible amateur, I could easily take apart any argument on the matter you might put forward but within this web forum much less this thread, it is not the place for serious structured debate and will otherwise just end up a pizzing contest. Thus this is not a challenge to do so. There is a vast amount of serious argumentation on the matter already available on the web anyone can readily search into. You obviously don't want to believe such logic presented and would rather just read those within your own cause who twist the matter to suit your own goals that you seem to parrot. In the mean time you put forth amateur arguments that reflect either your own lack of knowledge of the matter. Otherwise you might already understand the real points scholars have on the controversy and simply have a hidden agenda of dragging a few relatively ignorant of the Bible Christians in with some simplistic statements.
    So you admit that you and your ilk twist the words of the bible to suit your agenda.
    Just ask this question of yourself, what would Jesus do?
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  9. #439
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by 70s_guy View Post
    Its not a problem for Christians but rather a problem for you gay advocates that they believe so. They have no need to seek anything as they are content with their views. As I related above, none of your arguments ever seriously dents most of the Christian community because it is flawed.

    .
    funny, you calling me a gay advocate and NP calling me left wing, altho I have never actively supported anything liberal, unless you count education. I just believe in live and let live, as long as it doesn't cost me or the govt money, and it is between consenting adults behind closed doors.
    How is any of that flawed?
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  10. #440
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    What does that have to do with allowing them to get married like everyone else?

    If the topic is gay marriage and your thoughts immediately turn to anal sex, it sounds to me like YOU are the one who has issues.
    I was a sailor, and trust me, there is a reason for don't ask, don't tell.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

Page 44 of 69 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •