Page 43 of 69 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 690

Thread: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

  1. #421
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    12-22-08 @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    947

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Umm... women are INCLUDED in the gay/lesbian marriage movement, hon. Not sure you realize or not, but women can be homosexual too.

    So... what would they be getting in front of them FOR, exactly?
    A constitutional amendment adding "gender" to the list of prohibited discriminations. But also the media spotlight on the topic of discriminatory realities.

    Gays aren't paid less than straights. Last study I saw the average income for gays is higher. Women are paid less. Often much less. They also are denied promotions, are politically way under-represented, highly restricted in military service ranking potentials and are denied equality in management status.
    Last edited by Bonnie1988; 11-08-08 at 03:51 PM.

  2. #422
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie1988 View Post
    A constitutional amendment adding "gender" to the list of prohibited discriminations. But also the media spotlight on the topic of discriminatory realities.
    All of the "prohibited discriminations" need to be removed.

    Gays aren't paid less than straights. Last study I saw the average income for gays is paid higher. Women are paid less. Often much less. They also are denied promotions, are politically way under-represented and are denied equality in status.
    Weird. I've not been paid less or denied promotions. Maybe the women that are paid less and denied promotions DESERVE to be paid less and denied promotions.

    Methinks you've gone a little off the deep end of "women's issues". And it is women like you who give the rest of us women a bad name. The rest of us don't bitch and moan about "discrimination" if we're not given a promotion. Everything in the world doesn't revolve around your gender, ya know. As much as I'm sure you wish it did.

  3. #423
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    All of the "prohibited discriminations" need to be removed.



    Weird. I've not been paid less or denied promotions. Maybe the women that are paid less and denied promotions DESERVE to be paid less and denied promotions.

    Methinks you've gone a little off the deep end of "women's issues". And it is women like you who give the rest of us women a bad name. The rest of us don't bitch and moan about "discrimination" if we're not given a promotion. Everything in the world doesn't revolve around your gender, ya know. As much as I'm sure you wish it did.
    Bonnie's not old enough to buy a legal beer.
    She's no "woman", any more than my 18-year-old is a man, simply because he turned 18.
    It takes kids a lot longer to grow up these days, I'm noticing.

  4. #424
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Bonnie's not old enough to buy a legal beer.
    She's no "woman", any more than my 18-year-old is a man, simply because he turned 18.
    It takes kids a lot longer to grow up these days, I'm noticing.
    Oh dear god... well, that explains a LOT.

  5. #425
    Student veganshawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    U$A
    Last Seen
    11-11-08 @ 07:36 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    253

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie1988 View Post
    I can give a reason. There's nothing in it for me. I'm not gay. I see no reason to allow another lesser minority group to jump in line in front of women.

    As for your logic, make an argument in which the word "women" can be substituted out for "gays" without changing the basic premise of the argument.

    I found Jon Stewart's comment of how "oppressed blacks" at the same moment of winning the presidency became the "oppressors of gays" interesting. I'm against gay rights because gay rights activists aren't for my rights and therefore are one of the enemies. Easy to understand.


    Many women in the feminist movement are gay, so for you to say that gays are not for your rights is wrong. Also how is allowing the same civil rights you enjoy as a women who can get married moving you backwards?
    There is a federal law to protect women from discrimination and only 17 states have laws protecting gays from discrimination.
    And you are wrong there is a lot in it for you, because if the religious fanatics can get away with this how far away are they from trying to define marriage for procreation only? Will there come a day where people can't get married if they choose to not have kids or can't have them? Will they not allow marriage for seniors who can't have kids? Will there come a day where they will rule birth control is against their view of marriage? Where do we draw the line? If we allow them to make gays second class citizens you can bet women will be the next in their line of fire, don't think for one second these religious fanatics respect your rights as a women, throwing gays under the bus doesn't help you one bit, it hurts you and every one who doesn't want to live under extreme religious conditions.
    Gays would not jump in front of women they would enjoy there place beside women where many have fought for the rights you enjoy, you should be ashamed of yourself for suggesting that you are more important then them!
    You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it. -Malcolm X

  6. #426
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    12-22-08 @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    947

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by veganshawn View Post
    There is a federal law to protect women from discrimination and only 17 states have laws protecting gays from discrimination.
    If we allow them to make gays second class citizens you can bet women will be the next in their line of fire, don't think for one second these religious fanatics respect your rights as a women, throwing gays under the bus doesn't help you one bit, it hurts you and every one who doesn't want to live under extreme religious conditions.
    A recent report from the Department of U.S. Labor showed that women today are paid only 72 cents for every dollar a man earns. “Even more troubling -- the study found that at least one-third -- or about 11 cents -- of the pay gap is caused by pay discrimination against women -- and this is 38 years after the Equal Pay Act became law." said Senator Tom Harkin.


    Even that report is off because it assumes women in lower positions are there for fair reasons in calculations. Women have ALWAYS been the majority in this county, yet men have ALWAYS controlled every institution.

    All rushed for affirmative action to undo racial inequality - but women were left out of that - although women were denied the right to vote, own property, and legal equality in pay half a century longer than black men. There still is no constitutional protection against gender discrimination - a-ok with you, though you want constitutional protection of the sexuality of gays?

    NOT OK WITH ME!

    Sure, gays can have equality after women get it first. These claims of "we won't forget you" have been made by every group demanding equality in relation to inequality for women. Never happens.

    The danger is not if gays don't get equality then women might become 2nd class citizens. Women ALWAYS have been second class citizens in the USA. Paid 1/4th less. Every institution remains dominated by men. "Religious fanatics" are the enemy of women's rights.

    Watch this board. Those posting sexist slurs against women are those also who post liberal and Democrat messages. Most "religious fanatics" at least show some respect towards women as common courtesy. I've NEVER heard or read any Republican or conservative sneering at the topic of equality for women in my lifetime. As we just saw in California, gays obtaining equality in no manner would do anything for equality for women, just as electing a black president with huge minority turnout hurt, rather than helped, gay rights.

    On the topic of equality I'm looking out for ME and mine. Not some other possibly oppressed group saying they should be next again.
    Last edited by Bonnie1988; 11-08-08 at 04:24 PM.

  7. #427
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    I am going to say this again........Its not about gay marriage......Its about acceptance of the gay lifestyle as and acceptable alternate.......Its about teaching children that the sex acts gays engage in are OK and most people in this country believe that the sex acts they engage in are perversion and before you say it if straight people engage in those acts its perversion to.........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  8. #428
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie1988 View Post
    A recent report from the Department of U.S. Labor showed that women today are paid only 72 cents for every dollar a man earns. “Even more troubling -- the study found that at least one-third -- or about 11 cents -- of the pay gap is caused by pay discrimination against women -- and this is 38 years after the Equal Pay Act became law." said Senator Tom Harkin.


    Even that report is off because it assumes women in lower positions are there for fair reasons in calculations. Women have ALWAYS been the majority in this county, yet men have ALWAYS controlled every institution.

    All rushed for affirmative action to undo racial inequality - but women were left out of that - although women were denied the right to vote, own property, and legal equality in pay half a century longer than black men. There still is no constitutional protection against gender discrimination - a-ok with you, though you want constitutional protection of the sexuality of gays?

    NOT OK WITH ME!

    Sure, gays can have equality after women get it first. These claims of "we won't forget you" have been made by every group demanding equality in relation to inequality for women. Never happens.

    The danger is not if gays don't get equality then women might become 2nd class citizens. Women ALWAYS have been second class citizens in the USA. Paid 1/4th less. Every institution remains dominated by men. "Religious fanatics" are the enemy of women's rights.

    Watch this board. Those posting sexist slurs against women are those also who post liberal and Democrat messages. Most "religious fanatics" at least show some respect towards women as common courtesy. I've NEVER heard or read any Republican or conservative sneering at the topic of equality for women in my lifetime. As we just saw in California, gays obtaining equality in no manner would do anything for equality for women, just as electing a black president with huge minority turnout hurt, rather than helped, gay rights.

    On the topic of equality I'm looking out for ME and mine. Not some other possibly oppressed group saying they should be next again.
    Men are allowed to marry women, but women aren't allowed to marry women. You don't think that's a women's issue? So you only CLAIM to be fighting for equality, when in fact that's not your agenda at all.

    The only place in this country where women are not equal is the military.

  9. #429
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I am going to say this again........Its not about gay marriage......Its about acceptance of the gay lifestyle as and acceptable alternate.......Its about teaching children that the sex acts gays engage in are OK and most people in this country believe that the sex acts they engage in are perversion and before you say it if straight people engage in those acts its perversion to.........
    If straight people engage in oral sex it's a perversion? LMFAO I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of Americans would disagree with you.

    Anywho, do you seriously think that the nonsense you're talking about above will be different if homosexuals are all getting "civil unions" instead of "married"? When they're purported to be the exact same legal thing with a different name? How will what you're talking about be any different at all? Are you making the claim that civil unions *wouldn't* be the exact same legal thing under a different name? Which would be odd since most anti-gay folks keep claiming that they''re EXACTLY the same. (separate but equal)

    Lastly, YOU don't need to "accept" the gay lifestyle. YOU can keep right on having biggotted opinions when homosexuals are allowed to marry. They're allowed to marry in some places and you still have those opinions, do it didn't change much for ya did it?
    Last edited by rivrrat; 11-08-08 at 04:37 PM.

  10. #430
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    [QUOTE=rivrrat;1057802738]Men are allowed to marry women, but women aren't allowed to marry women. You don't think that's a women's issue? So you only CLAIM to be fighting for equality, when in fact that's not your agenda at all.

    The only place in this country where women are not equal is the military.[/QUOTE]

    Yeah, women have it better then men in the military...........They have very laxed physical requirements, and are not required to serve in actual combat unless they volunteer to do so...........

    Reminds me of a joke I saw.........A bunch of men and women in the army were in formation.......The squad leader orders any women who want to serve in combat take 3 steps forward........Then he says all men take 3 steps forward.......
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

Page 43 of 69 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •