Page 38 of 69 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 690

Thread: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

  1. #371
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Yeah, well, same-sex marriage doesn't fit neatly into that oversimplification, much as you think it's black and white. The same is true of other hot-button issues like abortion, which concerns more than just the right of a woman to do what she wishes with her body -- again, much as some would like to gloss right over that.

    To say anyone who opposes same-sex marriage is just simply a bigot and a homophobe, just like that, a 1 or 0 with no middle ground, is hateful and divisive in and of itself and of a piece with exactly what you say you oppose.

    Heck, the One himself said he's opposed to it, so is the new Messiah in Chief a bigot, and evil? If not, why not?

    Your use of Obama makes a perfect point. Obama has said that he is personally against gay marriage. I support his right to that opinion. However, Obama also said that he did not support Prop 8 because he did not believe that he should subject others to live by his views.

    That is exactly what I am saying.

    No one should have the right to tell others how to live their lives unless it involves crime and/or hurting another person.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #372
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    No one should have the right to tell others how to live their lives unless it involves crime and/or hurting another person.
    Explain to us, then, the welfare state.

  3. #373
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,535

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Your use of Obama makes a perfect point. Obama has said that he is personally against gay marriage. I support his right to that opinion. However, Obama also said that he did not support Prop 8 because he did not believe that he should subject others to live by his views.

    That is exactly what I am saying.

    No one should have the right to tell others how to live their lives unless it involves crime and/or hurting another person.
    OK, so he's against it, but that's OK, because he didn't agree with one very specific piece of legislation, even though he agrees with its goal?

    Isn't what's in his heart -- being against gay marriage -- what makes him a bigot and homophobe? I'm afraid that's the only place it could be.

    But somehow, I supsect that's still OK with you.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #374
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Thats not what I am saying at all. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But when they say that only their opinion is correct and force others to live by their opinion....that makes them a bigot.

    I have no problem with people who disagree with gay marriage for whatever reason. They are entitled to that opinion. However, they should not expect others to live their lives by that opinion.

    What you have to do is get the people behind you on the issue.........You are not able to do that not will you be able to in the future........Some day if this country becomes another Sodom then that might happen..........

    Oh nd I thought you said that the referendum in California was going to be defeated........What happened?
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  5. #375
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    OK, so he's against it, but that's OK, because he didn't agree with one very specific piece of legislation?

    Isn't what's in his heart -- being against gay marriage -- what makes him a bigot and homophobe? I'm afraid that's the only place it could be.

    But somehow, I supsect that's still OK with you.
    I'm ok with anyone having their personal views. This is America, they are entitled to it. I believe strongly in the Constitution and would stand up for their right to advocate their beliefs, no matter how much I disagree with them.

    However, that is their personal belief and everyone is entitled to their own.

    As long as you don't try to foist your beliefs and require others to live by your personal views. I'm fine with it.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  6. #376
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    OK, so he's against it, but that's OK, because he didn't agree with one very specific piece of legislation, even though he agrees with its goal?

    Isn't what's in his heart -- being against gay marriage -- what makes him a bigot and homophobe? I'm afraid that's the only place it could be.

    But somehow, I supsect that's still OK with you.
    Yes -- because taking the the position itself doesn't make you a bigot, only actually trying to implement it does.

  7. #377
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Your use of Obama makes a perfect point. Obama has said that he is personally against gay marriage. I support his right to that opinion. However, Obama also said that he did not support Prop 8 because he did not believe that he should subject others to live by his views.

    That is exactly what I am saying.

    No one should have the right to tell others how to live their lives unless it involves crime and/or hurting another person.

    Obama is trying to have it both ways........On the one hand he is against gay marriage on the other he does not support prop b.....Even you can see the hypocrisy in that........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  8. #378
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    As long as you don't try to foist your beliefs and require others to live by your personal views. I'm fine with it.
    So.. you oppose the welfare state... right?

  9. #379
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    What you have to do is get the people behind you on the issue.........You are not able to do that not will you be able to in the future........Some day if this country becomes another Sodom then that might happen..........

    Oh nd I thought you said that the referendum in California was going to be defeated........What happened?

    What happened was a last minute influx of deceitful ads that we funded by the Mormon church and other religious groups. Like the swift-boat lies, they were blatantly dishonest but were effective.

    What we do know is that California has come radically far from 2000. Without the lies and dishonesty, the proposition would have failed. Unfortunately out of state groups brought their agenda into our state.

    It will be back on the ballot in a couple of years and with the progress that fairness and justice are making, California will once again be a beacon to the nation on doing the right thing and moving forward with equality.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #380
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    What happened was a last minute influx of deceitful ads that we funded by the Mormon church and other religious groups. Like the swift-boat lies, they were blatantly dishonest but were effective.

    What we do know is that California has come radically far from 2000. Without the lies and dishonesty, the proposition would have failed. Unfortunately out of state groups brought their agenda into our state.

    It will be back on the ballot in a couple of years and with the progress that fairness and justice are making, California will once again be a beacon to the nation on doing the right thing and moving forward with equality.

    I guess you did not have a problem with the millions of dollars that the whacko left poured into defeat the proposition, alot from out of state............


    How do you explain the huge margin it passed by?
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

Page 38 of 69 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •