Page 22 of 69 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 690

Thread: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

  1. #211
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    It is a rare instance; do you think we should make laws for every possible biological situation? They can still procreate with new techniques using the sperm or eggs from the female.
    It's not that rare, especially for couples who choose not to procreate. I don't think that they should make laws for every possible biological situation, but I think that there are enough homosexuals across the US who want to get married to warrant making it legal.

    How does this change the basic tenet of Marriage?

    The purpose of marriage between a man and a woman is to provide a contract that binds them in a solemn promise before God for life to procreate and create and raise children as a FAMILY. Gays cannot procreate, it is a LIFE style. Only a MAN and a WOMAN can.
    Whom is that "basic tenet" according to and why are they justified in defining what marriage is or isn't?

    Why don't you explain why Gay activists cannot be content with Civil Unions?
    Why should they have to be? Why aren't churches content with the government allowing gay marriage, and not forcing them to perform them if it goes against their belief system?

  2. #212
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Jews, Christians and Muslims all have the same God...
    They also aren't the only ones who perform marriages.

  3. #213
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    They also aren't the only ones who perform marriages.
    That's true -- I was simply noting that the 'only Christian marriages' argument was flawed.

  4. #214
    Student Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    07-08-09 @ 03:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    224

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    You think the idea of God is purely a Christian idea? Obviously your notions about religion are quite limited.
    Well, your specific use of the word "God" combine with the rabid fervor over gay marriage led me to believe you were a Christian.

    But anyway... if it's a "promise before God" only marriages performed by a religious official are valid now?
    The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function. -- Dr. Albert Bartlett

  5. #215
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote: Originally Posted by Truth Detector
    Your desperate attempt to equate marriage between a man and a woman with racism is noted; and it is still absurd.


    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    How is it absurd?
    I can only lead you to water; I cannot make you drink it.

    If you are attempting to equate marriage to racism, and think there is nothing absurd about it, I cannot help you.

  6. #216
    blond bombshell

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    10-19-12 @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,729

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Whats the difference between civil partnerships and gay marriage in Americas definition of it?
    The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

  7. #217
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Quote: Originally Posted by Truth Detector
    Your desperate attempt to equate marriage between a man and a woman with racism is noted; and it is still absurd.




    I can only lead you to water; I cannot make you drink it.

    If you are attempting to equate marriage to racism, and think there is nothing absurd about it, I cannot help you.
    I'm equating discrimination with discrimination.

  8. #218
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote:Originally Posted by Truth Detector
    It is a rare instance; do you think we should make laws for every possible biological situation? They can still procreate with new techniques using the sperm or eggs from the female.

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    It's not that rare, especially for couples who choose not to procreate. I don't think that they should make laws for every possible biological situation, but I think that there are enough homosexuals across the US who want to get married to warrant making it legal.
    It is rarer than the norm. But your absurd argument to the contrary suggests that there are couples who may choose to not have a child; that doesn’t negate the FACT that they can change their mind or that they cannot procreate.

    The gay community is a teeny tiny minority; and you continue to avoid my question; why is it they are not content with Civil Unions, why does it HAVE to redefine marriage, a term we have understood and accepted for over 2000 years?

  9. #219
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
    Well, your specific use of the word "God" combine with the rabid fervor over gay marriage led me to believe you were a Christian.

    But anyway... if it's a "promise before God" only marriages performed by a religious official are valid now?
    I haven't been to a Church since I was a kid; your assumption is noted, something that a lot of people tend to do when debating purely at an emotional level.

    Marriage has been a religious ceremony for centuries. The fact that the US has co-opted it and licensed it doesn't change that FACT.

    Why can't you answer my questions? Why is it you are not content with Civil Unions, why does it require us to redefine marriage, a term we have understood and accepted for over 2000 years?

  10. #220
    Student Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    07-08-09 @ 03:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    224

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    why is it they are not content with Civil Unions, why does it HAVE to redefine marriage, a term we have understood and accepted for over 2000 years?
    I don't see how openly admitting your argument is nothing more than a vapid semantic one helps your case. "The gays can get 'married', but they can't get married!" Honestly...
    The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function. -- Dr. Albert Bartlett

Page 22 of 69 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •