Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 690

Thread: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

  1. #181
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    How is denying marriage to people just because of their sexual orientation not discrimination?
    I don't recall claiming that it was or wasn't.

  2. #182
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Californoa's Blacks, Lationos and Asians -- the people that carried this vote -- are right-wing?
    In this matter they are conservative, which is right-wing.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  3. #183
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I don't recall claiming that it was or wasn't.
    I wasn't implying anything. I was just asking you. You said this:

    Yes. Like Disneydude, they cannot conceive of any reason for opposing gay marriage -- indeed, any discrimination at all - other than hate and fear.
    Of course, they cannot actually SHOW that people discriminate in general and oppose gay marriage in specific out of hate and fear, but...
    And I'm asking you, in response to that, how denying marriage to people just because of their sexual orientation is not discrimination?

  4. #184
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    And I'm asking you, in response to that, how denying marriage to people just because of their sexual orientation is not discrimination?
    I was speaking to the claim that people are motivated to discriminate -- in general, as well as the specific case of same-sex marriage -- out of hate and fear.

    I was also speaking to the inability of certain people to conceive of any other reason for why people might discriminate, and the inability of those that hold the view that discrimination is based on fear and hate to actually support that point of view.

    Given that I specify the opposition to gay marriage as a subset of discrimination...

  5. #185
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    In this matter they are conservative, which is right-wing.
    Hmm. I can see it now, the sign above their gathering place:

    Conservative Right Wing Theocratic Gay-Hating Minorities for Obama
    Blacks, Latinos, and Asians welcome!

    And to think that when I call the Obamastinians, I -was- joking.
    I guess now I'm really not.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 11-06-08 at 02:06 PM.

  6. #186
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I was speaking to the claim that people are motivated to discriminate -- in general, as well as the specific case of same-sex marriage -- out of hate and fear.

    I was also speaking to the inability of certain people to conceive of any other reason for why people might discriminate, and the inability of those that hold the view that discrimination is based on fear and hate to actually support that point of view.

    Given that I specify the opposition to gay marriage as a subset of discrimination...
    Thanks for clarifying.

  7. #187
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    In this matter they are conservative, which is right-wing.
    I have to disagree here. They are conservative. But they are not conservative in the same sense as the republican base. They share the same traditional values. But they certainly are not right wing. Because they do not seek the establishment of the status-quo, they are minorities.

    It's a critical difference, and one that is difficult for them to make because it is contradictory for them. Keeping their traditional (native) values are detrimental to their progress in the future as immigrants. They do not fit neatly in right-wing politics, nor do they in left-wing politics. It's quagmire...
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  8. #188
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Did I say that?
    No, but if you must flame, do it inside. It is called public decency, or PDA as you say. Gays and straights should be arrested once the private parts become publicly displayed.
    Don't take offense....I think we are in agreement here for the most part. I agree that PDA's and sex in public are inappropriate for any group. However, there is much more to a gay pride parade and the lives of gay people in general than those things.

    America should stand for liberty and justice for all, not just for some. Gay people should not have to keep their private lives behind closed doors and people should be able to marry the person that they love.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #189
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Yes. Like Disneydude, they cannot conceive of any reason for opposing gay marriage -- indeed, any discrimination at all - other than hate and fear.

    Of course, they cannot actually SHOW that people discriminate in general and oppose gay marriage in specific out of hate and fear, but...
    I'll ask it another way (and I still won't expect an answer from you)...

    What reasons other than hatred and fear has discrimination ever been based on in the history of our Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman
    was also speaking to the inability of certain people to conceive of any other reason for why people might discriminate
    Last edited by disneydude; 11-06-08 at 02:18 PM.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #190
    Student Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    07-08-09 @ 03:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    224

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    So what exactly is the opposition to gay marriage?

    Is it simply using the term "marriage" or actually affording homosexual couples the same 1,049 rights afforded to heterosexual couples?
    The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function. -- Dr. Albert Bartlett

Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •