Page 10 of 69 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 690

Thread: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

  1. #91
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Apeman View Post
    "This is one issue that is not ethnic minority vs majority. It's those that believe we should live under a theocracy and those that don't."

    Odd that someone would argue against a theoocracy while seemingly demanding to use a religious term in a manner that does not fit,

    Historically speaking, the term marriage stands for the joining of a man and a woman in the eyes of God.

    Why not use a non-religious term for a non-religious union?

    If you want to limit marriage to religion, fine, then the state should get out of the marriage business altogether.
    However, when the state elects to engage in the marriage business, there's a little something in the Constitution called "equal protection", which is why the California Supreme Court ruled the way it did.
    Unfortunately, a simple majority of people in California believed that discrimination should be written into our state Constitution. Sad. I am ashamed of my state today.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #92
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Everyone; as being you and your cabal of uninformed ranters?
    Says the person who called Goobieman a liberal....

    Roe vs. Wade was a similar adjudication where the right to an abortion was "divined" by a radical court.

    How has that worked for the nation as a whole?
    So you'd be willing to say that everything the courts have done is wrong?

    You can pretend that it was an honest "interpretation of "rights", but that is your OPINION and it doesn't wash with the FACTS.
    The facts are not what you use. Furthermore, the Constitution does not cover a wide variety of today's subject.

    There is not inferred "constitutional" right for same sex marriages in the State of California. Therefore, as I stated, it took an activist State Supreme Court, one of the most OVERULLED in the country that decided to legislate from the bench.
    What about non-discrimination do you not understand? Or is it not discrimination when it attacks the people you don't like?

    No, they changed the Constitution to prevent activist’s judges from going against the will of the citizens.
    Incorrect again. The Supreme Court ruled on the basis of the Constitution that a law passed was unconstitutional. That is a fact. What prop 8 did was amend the Constitution.

    What does "common law" have to do with this case? I think you need to review the law:

    The term "common law" is also used to mean the traditional, precedent-based element in the law of any common-law jurisdiction, as opposed to its statutory law or legislation.

    This is about statutory law or legislation; there is nothing common law about it.
    Under that argument, common law isn't applicable to anything. Good lucking arguing that in court. Common law is just as much of law as statutory law or legislation. Lawyer you are not.

    The judges chose to throw out legislation based on their activist interpretations of the States Constitution.
    Oh that term again. An activist judge is someone who makes a ruling you disagree with. Not exactly the strongest argument.

    Another of your typical off topic rants.
    Your batting average is about on par with Navy's.

    The notion that your arguments above are correct is only for those who willingly suspend their disbelief; particularly when you cannot distinguish between “common law” and legislation.
    I wasn't aware that common law wasn't actually law, and that we can ignore the laws set by court precedents.

    The fact of the matter is that common law is still law and that law is set by the judicial branch. You are wrong. Get over it.

    The Supreme Court has forced Californians to modify their Constitution; do you obey only laws you agree with, or do you obey all the laws?
    See above. Or do you not understand what Unconstitutional means? Not that I'd be surprised....

    I mistook Goobie for Gibberish…..the names merge in these threads sometimes …. So sue me for making a mistake.

    Good lord you can’t get more petty than this.
    That just shows that you call anyone who disagrees with you a liberal.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #93
    User Apeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tucson
    Last Seen
    11-07-08 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    22

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    I agree that the state should stay out of "the Marriage business". At best, they should recognize them and move on.

    As for a civil union, where people address the state to give them sanctity of their union, completely outside the realm of religion, that is where state can have a say in what they are willing to accept as a "couple".
    Live Free or defeat those who would control you

  4. #94
    Student veganshawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    U$A
    Last Seen
    11-11-08 @ 07:36 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    253

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    I find it so sad in 2008 we are still legalizing hate and discrimination. I think all the churches that donated money to get it passed should have their tax exempt status revoked and anyone who voted for this asinine amendment should be ashamed of themselves!
    You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it. -Malcolm X

  5. #95
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    The people of California have spoken.........I said that if the people of California voted for gay marriage so be it.........This is the second time they have voted against it.........Lets see if activist judges again try and make law instead of interpreting it and over throw the will of the people...........


    I also might add that 2 more states Arizona and Florida adopted amendments outlawing gay marriage..........

    Amanda Carpenter : Pro-Marriage Ballot Measures Succeed - Townhall.com
    Last edited by Navy Pride; 11-05-08 at 09:31 PM.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  6. #96
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    The people of California have spoken.........I said that if the people of California voted for gay marriage so be it.........This is the second time they have voted against it.........Lets see if activist judges again try and make law instead of interpreting it and over throw the will of the people...........
    I don't think the courts will step in on this one. However, I do expect it will be back on the ballot in two years.
    The State of California has shown a lot of progress since Prop 22 in 2000. Just like the civil rights movement of the 50's/60's, bigotry dies hard, but its just a matter of time.
    Last edited by disneydude; 11-05-08 at 09:32 PM.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #97
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I don't think the courts will step in on this one. However, I do expect it will be back on the ballot in two years.
    The State of California has shown a lot of progress since Prop 22 in 2000. Just like the civil rights movement of the 50's/60's, bigotry dies hard, but its just a matter of time.

    Its got nothing to do with bigotry for most people......Like I said if the people of California vote to let gays, polygamists or any other group identified by their class get married so be it but not activist judges ...........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Its got nothing to do with bigotry for most people......Like I said if the people of California vote to let gays, polygamists or any other group identified by their class get married so be it but not activist judges ...........
    As marriage is NOT a constitutional issue; I find the outright modification of such a document to be highly inapropriate. The far right neo-nazi assholes responsible for this should lose the right to participate in politics.

  9. #99
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    As marriage is NOT a constitutional issue; I find the outright modification of such a document to be highly inapropriate. The far right neo-nazi assholes responsible for this should lose the right to participate in politics.

    You lost, get use to it....All you lefties can do is bitch and call names when you lose..........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  10. #100
    Sage
    jfuh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Rim
    Last Seen
    01-20-12 @ 09:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    16,631

    Re: Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

    Next Year I call for proposition 8A - a ban on hetero sexual marriages.
    The state of California shall no longer recognize the marriage of heterosexual marriages regardless of state.

Page 10 of 69 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •