Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 353

Thread: SC Confederate Flag Taken Down From State Capitol in South Carolina

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,463

    Re: SC Confederate Flag Taken Down From State Capitol in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    You realize that NOBODY is arguing this right. So you're making fun of an argument that was never made. How does that feel? Your comment reads like a toddler stomping his feet after somebody took his toy.
    Because crying about a flag being mean is what grown-ups do.

  2. #22
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,383
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: SC Confederate Flag Taken Down From State Capitol in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    The Confederate Battle Flag is not a Nazi swastika.
    Some have used it as a symbol of oppression, just as some have used the US flag for the same purpose.


    No, it's worse than the swastika. It's the flag that traitors to the USA flew in the war that they fought in support of slavery and racism.

    BTW: They lost.

  3. #23
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: SC Confederate Flag Taken Down From State Capitol in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Because crying about a flag being mean is what grown-ups do.
    Crying about a flag specifically designed to thumb black people in the eye, pretending it represents Southern pride, is what losers do.

  4. #24
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,895

    Re: SC Confederate Flag Taken Down From State Capitol in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    It has the same meaning for many, black and non-black. Just like the swastika, you can believe it's not offensive, but that just doesn't pan out when rubber meets the road.

    Why do find this so hard to understand?
    I completely understand you will assign whatever meaning to it you choose. I also believe you have the right to be offended. Similarly...I observe how you just completely ignore the fact that the KKK usurped the US flag and they TOO used it as a symbol of oppression (and perhaps rightfully so considering the US had a history of slavery long before the formation of the confederate states).

    Thats not conveeeeeenient.

  5. #25
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,895

    Re: SC Confederate Flag Taken Down From State Capitol in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    No, it's worse than the swastika. It's the flag that traitors to the USA flew in the war that they fought in support of slavery and racism.

    BTW: They lost.
    Indeed.

  6. #26
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,895

    Re: SC Confederate Flag Taken Down From State Capitol in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Looks like Strom Thurmond to me.
    Really? When was Strom Thurmond actually in the Klan. See...I know Senator Byrd was...I hadnt read that about Thurmond. Do you have a source?

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,463

    Re: SC Confederate Flag Taken Down From State Capitol in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    Crying about a flag specifically designed to thumb black people in the eye, pretending it represents Southern pride, is what losers do.
    Yes, the flag was designed to thumb black people in the eye. You just simplified the topic to the point of absurdity. Congrats.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,463

    Re: SC Confederate Flag Taken Down From State Capitol in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Really? When was Strom Thurmond actually in the Klan. See...I know Senator Byrd was...I hadnt read that about Thurmond. Do you have a source?
    He wasn't.

  9. #29
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,383
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: SC Confederate Flag Taken Down From State Capitol in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Really?
    When was Strom Thurmond actually in the Klan.
    See...I know Senator Byrd was...I hadnt read that about Thurmond. Do you have a source?


    I didn't say that he was in the Klan, I said that it looked like him on that horse. Totally different thing.

    Of course the back end of the horse looks like him also. Lots of resemblance going on here.

    Last edited by shrubnose; 07-10-15 at 05:57 PM.

  10. #30
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    08-18-17 @ 04:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: SC Confederate Flag Taken Down From State Capitol in South Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I completely understand you will assign whatever meaning to it you choose. I also believe you have the right to be offended. Similarly...I observe how you just completely ignore the fact that the KKK usurped the US flag and they TOO used it as a symbol of oppression (and perhaps rightfully so considering the US had a history of slavery long before the formation of the confederate states).

    Thats not conveeeeeenient.
    You're simply refusing the acknowledge the general understand of what the flag stands for. Again, much like the swastika, it's origin intent is not what it's currently understood as.

    The American flag does not hold the same meaning to Americans as the confederate flag does. So I'm not sure why you're bring that up and insisting it does.
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •