Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 148

Thread: South Carolina governor: Confederate flag comes down Friday

  1. #51
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: South Carolina governor: Confederate flag comes down Friday

    Quote Originally Posted by Marla View Post
    Libertardianism has no history. Well, other than Alex Jone$, a senile Ron Paul and cynical rednecks who wave Chinese made America flags at minorities and/or the poor.
    You're obviously an authority on the subject. Bravo.

  2. #52
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: South Carolina governor: Confederate flag comes down Friday

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Oh, she doesn't have to be. I, however, know very well your statements on the subject. Would you say that not believing in any state is an ideology of any sort? It really isn't. Political ideologies, at least the mainstream kind adopted by philosophers regardless of their leans, tend to have a response for different issues. Conservatives seem to want a government actively involved in dealing with criminals. Liberals want the government to stay out of their bedrooms, but deal with discrimination. Regardless of how they see it, they seem to understand that governments and states need to exist. What do libertarians like yourself want? NO GUB'MINT! NO STATE! That's hardly a response to any issue. It's intellectual laziness.
    It's really just intellectually lazy to think the solution to lives problems is force.

  3. #53
    Educator HorseLoverGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Lexington North Carolina
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 06:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,207

    Re: South Carolina governor: Confederate flag comes down Friday

    Hypocrite on so many levels! I am sick and tired of political correctness run amuck!
    Life is short, ride a horse

  4. #54
    Student Marla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    08-05-15 @ 09:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    258

    Re: South Carolina governor: Confederate flag comes down Friday

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    You're obviously an authority on the subject. Bravo.
    Well then, please enlighten me all about the great whale that is Libertardianism. Give me insight into how churches are supposed to pay for outrageous medical bills. How about the Libertardian view on how the homeless are supposed to live with their elderly relatives who can barely afford to eat themselves. I know, what are the Libertardian means of getting to work on roads so badly battered due to wear and tear because they don't believe in paying taxes to fix them?

  5. #55
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: South Carolina governor: Confederate flag comes down Friday

    Quote Originally Posted by Marla View Post
    Well then, please enlighten me all about the great whale that is Libertardianism. Give me insight into how churches are supposed to pay for outrageous medical bills. How about the Libertardian view on how the homeless are supposed to live with their elderly relatives who can barely afford to eat themselves. I know, what are the Libertardian means of getting to work on roads so badly battered due to wear and tear because they don't believe in paying taxes to fix them?
    Churches paying for medical bills??
    The homeless living with their elderly relatives?
    Roads badly batted due to wear and tear?

    The only one there worth responding to is the last one. Roads in a libertarian society would not be under the control of the state.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,065

    Re: South Carolina governor: Confederate flag comes down Friday

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    It's really just intellectually lazy to think the solution to lives problems is force.
    Lol, see what I mean? That's not a response to anything at all. It's basically fluff made to sound like you actually have a grasp of what we're discussing here. Political ideologies are about using states and governments for various reasons some of which demand force, others which don't. They all seem to understand that government plays a role in defending the rights of minorities or even majorities from oppression, slavery, etc. If not that, then the opposite but all seem to have an understanding that governments play some roles that simply can't be fulfilled by the individual. Your libertarianism simply says "Nope! Nada! Rien! Nothing!". That's not really a political ideology of any sort.

    Saying that, you "don't like any states or government" is an ideology, is like saying that atheism is a religion. Not only will you not convince anybody with even a remote understanding of the words being used, it's just lazy. I mean who goes around saying "Man! Things would be so much greater if government wasn't around at all!"? It's either people who simply can't live within a structured environment, or people who have committed some act which led to the state using force on them.

    I won't go into the second one because there is no way I could do it without violating quite a few DP rules. However, the first one is fair game. As I've told you before: If you don't enjoy living within a society structured in many ways through the use of states, and governments, there are quite a few stateless and lawless hellholes around the world to which you can buy a one way ticket to, and test your luck. However, even after all of that, your libertarianism still won't be an ideology of any sort. It will continue to be the intellectual laziness of a person who obviously can't live amongst other human beings but for some reason or another won't leave.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 07-09-15 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Had more to say
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #57
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: South Carolina governor: Confederate flag comes down Friday

    Confederates can still fly their secessionist traitor flag of surrender wherever they want. It's just that the state is no longer endorsing it.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: South Carolina governor: Confederate flag comes down Friday

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That's pretty interesting and something I didn't know. I mean I knew it was a battle flag, I just didn't know it was from VA. Seems kind of weird that people would fight for their local government to raise a flag that their ancestors from the state didn't even fight under. I mean, I could understand if people from Virginia were making the argument, but now that I know that the flag is from VA, it seems kind of hollow for all of the non-VA folks to be making the claim too.
    Notice, also, that southerners are not trying to fly the Confederate national flag, the Stars & Bars; nor is anyone calling the Sars & Bars a symbol of hate. In fact everyone's ignoring all the symbols of the Confederacy, focusing in only on this one temporary flag of a single army of a single state.

    Strange.

  9. #59
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: South Carolina governor: Confederate flag comes down Friday

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Lol, see what I mean? That's not a response to anything at all. It's basically fluff made to sound like you actually have a grasp of what we're discussing here. Political ideologies are about using states and governments for various reasons some of which demand force, others which don't. They all seem to understand that government plays a role in defending the rights of minorities or even majorities from oppression, slavery, etc. If not that, then the opposite but all seem to have an understanding that governments play some roles that simply can't be fulfilled by the individual. Your libertarianism simply says "Nope! Nada! Rien! Nothing!". That's not really a political ideology of any sort.

    Saying that, you "don't like any states or government" is an ideology, is like saying that atheism is a religion. Not only will you not convince anybody with even a remote understanding of the words being used, it's just lazy. I mean who goes around saying "Man! Things would be so much greater if government wasn't around at all!"? It's either people who simply can't live within a structured environment, or people who have committed some act which led to the state using force on them.

    I won't go into the second one because there is no way I could do it without violating quite a few DP rules. However, the first one is fair game. As I've told you before: If you don't enjoy living within a society structured in many ways through the use of states, and governments, there are quite a few stateless and lawless hellholes around the world to which you can buy a one way ticket to, and test your luck. However, even after all of that, your libertarianism still won't be an ideology of any sort. It will continue to be the intellectual laziness of a person who obviously can't live amongst other human beings but for some reason or another won't leave.
    That's great and all, but believing in a state is not necessary for something to be an ideology.

  10. #60
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: South Carolina governor: Confederate flag comes down Friday

    I like how Hatuey and Marla know nothing about philosophy and yet are trying to be involved in a discussion about philosophy.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •