Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 200

Thread: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse[W:79]

  1. #51
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:07 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    73,231

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    hahaha.....That was mockery....Good grief....We need a face palm smiley....
    mirror mirror
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #52
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    24,813

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    It's funny watching conservatives preach about the negativity of emotion in debate. It's as if they all the sudden never heard about their political football called "abortion."
    Last edited by poweRob; 07-09-15 at 02:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  3. #53
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:07 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    73,231

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Oh? So what makes you think he wouldn't have killed these people if the flag didn't exist? What makes you think he wouldn't have just used a different symbol to justify his actions to himself?
    Why don't you magically transport yourself into another dimension where everything is the same except for the absence of the Confederate flag, use a time machine in addition, go back before the shooting and come back with the answer?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #54
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,405

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    • Scarlett: What are you doing?
      Rhett Butler: I'm leaving you, my dear. All you need now is a divorce and your dreams of Ashley can come true.
      Scarlett: Oh, no! No, you're wrong, terribly wrong! I don't want a divorce. Oh Rhett, but I knew tonight, when I... when I knew I loved you, I ran home to tell you, oh darling, darling!
      Rhett Butler: Please don't go on with this, Leave us some dignity to remember out of our marriage. Spare us this last.
      Scarlett: This last? Oh Rhett, do listen to me, I must have loved you for years, only I was such a stupid fool, I didn't know it. Please believe me, you must care! Melly said you did.
      Rhett Butler: I believe you. What about Ashley Wilkes?
      Scarlett: I... I never really loved Ashley.
      Rhett Butler: You certainly gave a good imitation of it, up till this morning. No Scarlett, I tried everything. If you'd only met me half way, even when I came back from London.
      Scarlett: I was so glad to see you. I was, Rhett, but you were so nasty.
      Rhett Butler: And then when you were sick, it was all my fault... I hoped against hope that you'd call for me, but you didn't.
      Scarlett: I wanted you. I wanted you desperately but I didn't think you wanted me.
      Rhett Butler: It seems we've been at cross purposes, doesn't it? But it's no use now. As long as there was Bonnie, there was a chance that we might be happy. I liked to think that Bonnie was you, a little girl again, before the war, and poverty had done things to you. She was so like you, and I could pet her, and spoil her, as I wanted to spoil you. But when she went, she took everything.
      Scarlett: Oh, Rhett, Rhett please don't say that. I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry for everything.
      Rhett Butler: My darling, you're such a child. You think that by saying, "I'm sorry," all the past can be corrected. Here, take my handkerchief. Never, at any crisis of your life, have I known you to have a handkerchief.
      Scarlett: Rhett! Rhett, where are you going?
      Rhett Butler: I'm going back to Charleston, back where I belong.
      Scarlett: Please, please take me with you!
      Rhett Butler: No, I'm through with everything here. I want peace. I want to see if somewhere there isn't something left in life of charm and grace. Do you know what I'm talking about?
      Scarlett: No! I only know that I love you.
      Rhett Butler: That's your misfortune.
      [Rhett turns to walk down the stairs]
      Scarlett: Oh, Rhett!
      [Scarlett watches Rhett walk to the door]
      Scarlett: Rhett!
      [runs down the stairs after Rhett]
      Scarlett: Rhett, Rhett!
      [catches him as he's walking out the front door]
      Scarlett: Rhett... if you go, where shall I go, what shall I do?
      Rhett Butler: Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
      [Rhett walks off into the fog]
    "I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance." William Faulkner

  5. #55
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Why don't you magically transport yourself into another dimension where everything is the same except for the absence of the Confederate flag, use a time machine in addition, go back before the shooting and come back with the answer?
    Lets review:

    He feels a feeling of low self worth
    He looks and finds something to blame it on: Blacks
    He needs a higher purpose to promote his views: The flag

    Any questions?

    Guess what? You can pretty much put anything in the last two slots. So the question only is how many things do you want to ban?

  6. #56
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:07 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    73,231

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Lets review:

    He feels a feeling of low self worth
    He looks and finds something to blame it on: Blacks
    He needs a higher purpose to promote his views: The flag

    Any questions?
    just one - could you tell us how you know so damn sure that the flag was not part of his motivation since he displayed it so prominently on his web postings?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #57
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    just one - could you tell us how you know so damn sure that the flag was not part of his motivation since he displayed it so prominently on his web postings?
    Because I know people will look for something to blame their feelings about themselves on and I know that these people will commonly look for something bigger themselves to rationalize everything they have concluded.

  8. #58
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,689

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    It's funny watching conservatives preach about the negativity of emotion in debate. It's as if the all the sudden never heard about their political football called "abortion."
    My good God...

    In any thread where the libs are taking a deserved shellacking, whether its Hilary's lies, Obama's racism, or this ****ing charade, there is no liberal too low not to try to deflect with a completely irrelevant insult.

    For God's sake man will you people grow some balls? If this is so right, tell us why? Use words, not some photoshopped picture, use logic and explain in detail how this war on an emblem [an emblem I consider a stupid relic of a stupid time] is going to change mass killings by the mentally ill.

    You know, the reason Amerikan liberals disgust me is that you have no backbone. When Obama is caught red handed lying the lie of the century, rather than admit the creep lied, you all run from the debate and complain the coverage is imbalanced.

    Now here, in this where we are questioning the drama queen bull**** on the floors of what should be a house of sober thought, your best defense is to hurl the word "abortion"...the internet equivalent of yelling 'fire' in a theatre.

    That truly is cowardice.
    "Small people talk about people, average people talk about events, great people talk about ideas" Eleanor Roosevelt

  9. #59
    Hates Kittens
    NonoBadDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Mountains
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    12,532
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Emotion overcomes reason, and reason is what keeps us alive. In this case, in another setting, mental health workers would be restraining her, but here, it works, and it convinces others of the need for whatever is being argued...beyond reason.

    When I encounter such over the top emotions, I feel I am being manipulated. But then I have seen this whole flag mess as one big manipulation and diversion from the real problem. There are not going to be less shootings mass shootings because the Confederate flag was removed from the SC state house.
    Exactly spot on. It is the attempt to manipulate (guilt trip) with over the top emotion that turns me off.
    I voted Trump. Thanks Wikileaks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soho gator View Post
    Are there some who hate ALL white people? Sure. Are they racists? No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Right-wingers aren't even people.

  10. #60
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:07 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    73,231

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Because I know people will look for something to blame their feelings about themselves on and I know that these people will commonly look for something bigger themselves to rationalize everything they have concluded.
    And your knowledge of the motivations of Root is based on what you think you know about people? Got it.

    So in your world a symbol of white supremacy and defense of slavery had no role at all in the motivation of a killer of people trying to start a race war because he believed in racial superiority. Okay.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •