Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 200

Thread: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse[W:79]

  1. #161
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,367

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Miss Horne is a woman first and then a "leader" or representative. You must not be married, or otherwise have scant experience with the feminine gender. You know John Beohner cries quite regularly!
    Oh I don't care about the crying. Crying is simply an unintended physiological response. I was referring to the emotional appeal of her words.

  2. #162
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    You use the KKK's desecration's of the American flag to rebut my claim? The American flag was not the symbol of the South's opposition to desegregation, the Confederate flag was.
    His point was that the KKK used the American flag too. You can't very well say because the KKK used the confederate flag it should thus be banned without also supporting the American flag being banned for the same reason.

  3. #163
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric7216 View Post
    Oh I don't care about the crying. Crying is simply an unintended physiological response. I was referring to the emotional appeal of her words.
    Oh, I see. I remember the very emotionally charged rhetoric, "do we have to wait for the smoking gun to come in the form of a mushroom cloud over a US city" to freighter Americans into supporting a gratuitous war with Iraq, even though Iraq had neither the inclination nor the ability to deliver such. This is what politicians do I suppose.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  4. #164
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    18,282

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    His point was that the KKK used the American flag too. You can't very well say because the KKK used the confederate flag it should thus be banned without also supporting the American flag being banned for the same reason.
    Except that the American flag is not the primary symbol adopted by segregationists in the Southern States, the Confederate battle flag is. The fact that you are not aware of this distinction leads me to believe you must be a hermit living in a cave.






  5. #165
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    46,265

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    You use the KKK's desecration's of the American flag to rebut my claim? The American flag was not the symbol of the South's opposition to desegregation, the Confederate flag was.

    The History of the Confederate Battle Flag - The Atlantic
    Wait...Im sorry...say that again. Listen to yourself when you say it.

  6. #166
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,215

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Is the entire argument for keeping the flag up wholly and completely an emotional one?

    All of this talk about pride is purely and simply an emotional plea, no?
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Leftists sure love rhetoric.

  8. #168
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,536

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Except that the American flag is not the primary symbol adopted by segregationists in the Southern States, the Confederate battle flag is. The fact that you are not aware of this distinction leads me to believe you must be a hermit living in a cave.





    LOL and in your second pic.. there is an American flag.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. H.L Mencken

  9. #169
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,536

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    Is the entire argument for keeping the flag up wholly and completely an emotional one?

    All of this talk about pride is purely and simply an emotional plea, no?
    Yes and No. I am not from the South. In fact, I am first generation American and even I know there is a culture significance to it. It's why the flag goes by other names.. such as rebel flag, Dixie flag, and Southern cross. You have major Civil War orgs who use it such as the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the Sons of Confederate Veterans. There are very famous Americans who are members of both orgs. For example Clint Eastwood, Bear Bryant, Gen. Omar Bradley, Pat Buchanan, Presidents Truman and Wilson. Then there are these sticklers..

    Nelson W. Winbush who is an African-American who joined the SCV when the NCAAP went after the Confederate Flag in 1991. Then you have H. K. Edgerton who is a current member of the SVC and former member of the NCAAP.




    It's southern culture, like it or not..
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. H.L Mencken

  10. #170
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    18,282

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by austrianecon View Post
    LOL and in your second pic.. there is an American flag.
    I would hope so since that pic was taken at the Democratic National Convention in 1948. Those waving the battle flag were the Dixiecrats. It symbolized their platform of continued segregation enabled by States Rights. I bunch of older Black people still remember those days very well but it was not about honoring any Confederate veterans by a long shot. when it was waved at them it meant continued repression and hatred of their civil rights..
    But look, I know it has been hard to take but like SSM and the ACA your side lost the argument and the flag is down for good.
    Time for all of you to grow a pair and stop the whining. It's a small victory after all. Fear not, people will still be racists anyway they just won't get the tingle up their leg when they drive by the Statehouse. Big f---ing deal.
    Last edited by iguanaman; 07-11-15 at 12:15 AM.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •