Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 200

Thread: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse[W:79]

  1. #111
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverTrumpOrClinton tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    33,335

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    That's like saying "Everything was just fine until one woman refused to move to the back of the bus." No....the systemic oppression of Jim Crow was there, but it took a symbolic act to finally reach that breaking point where people will act.

    Just because people offended by that flag lived quietly under it for generations doesnt mean it was right for the govt to fly it...Its being recognized as a symbol of slavery and racism isnt new....otherwise that psycho Long wouldnt have fastened onto it in the first place.
    Sorry, I have no idea who "that psycho Long" is.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  2. #112
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Not for people like me who have no ancestors who fought on the Confederate side in the Civil War. I see it as a racist emblem.
    You would ignore history? Not very smart, as the old saying goes......
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #113
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,158
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I'm waiting for the Japanese Americans who were captured and jailed and deported and whose lives were ruined by FDR to demand that the FDR Drive be renamed.


    My guess is that you'll still be waiting a long time from now.

  4. #114
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Sorry, I have no idea who "that psycho Long" is.
    Oh sorry, Roof.

    I went back and corrected it. Thanks
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #115
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    25,260

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I didn't say it had anything to do with what he did. You're confusing me with other people who seem to think it did. They're all over the board. I'm not one of them.

    The world is a better place because the Confederate flag isn't going to fly in the state capital in SC. Holy ****, I desperately wish I lived the Shangri-La with the rest of you all.
    I was saying that you said that part of my argument was that the flag had something to do with what he did, and I never said that. And yeah, it does make the world a little better. Not much, but a little better. Seriously, what's wrong with a little better?
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  6. #116
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    73,421

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No, my knowledge in all things is impeccable. *takes drink of beer*

    It is more than likely what he did based on the evidence. Men that are depressed like he was are likely to blame their low self esteem on others which might cause major shifts in their world view. It's not all rare for these people to want to be associated with something bigger themselves like a movement, symbol, flag, organization, etc.
    So in the so called "reality" you have constructed for yourself out of your own self imposed belief system - there is no possible connection between a man who intentionally murders nine innocent African Americans in an African American church because he wants to start a race war against African Americans and the symbol of legal slavery over African Americans and subsequent decades of Jim Crow segregation of African Americans.

    Thats a neat trick but I guess people with that sort of condition do it constantly and never think twice about it..... or most other things for that matter.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #117
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverTrumpOrClinton tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    33,335

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I was saying that you said that part of my argument was that the flag had something to do with what he did, and I never said that. And yeah, it does make the world a little better. Not much, but a little better. Seriously, what's wrong with a little better?
    I never said that you made it part of your argument, and in fact, I said that other people were saying it (when you told me emphatically that nobody was saying that). You may want to reread the posts.

    Okay, the world is a little better place. Yay! If it takes the removal of a flag that represents people who lost a war 150 years ago, all of whom are now dead, to make the world a better place, then hooray! Victory...or something like it.

    I'll wait for some really big things to happen that make the world a better place, like the cure for cancer, the end of animal and child abuse, and so on. That's just me.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #118
    Professor WSUwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    03-21-16 @ 02:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,864

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    I would have voted to keep the flag just to spite her whiny emotional retard ass. Get yourself together, woman.
    "Opportunity does not come knocking. It is usually running down the street, you have to chase and tackle it." - Sheriff David Clarke, Milwaukee County.

  9. #119
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    25,260

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I never said that you made it part of your argument, and in fact, I said that other people were saying it (when you told me emphatically that nobody was saying that). You may want to reread the posts.

    Okay, the world is a little better place. Yay! If it takes the removal of a flag that represents people who lost a war 150 years ago, all of whom are now dead, to make the world a better place, then hooray! That showed them.

    I'll wait for some really big things to happen that make the world a better place, like the cure for cancer, the end of animal and child abuse, and so on.
    That's how I read it, if not, no big deal.

    And it's more than that. It's a symbol of hate for a lot of people. That flag has a history that is not very pretty, and if I was black, I'd personally be really offended by it. Can't you see how someone would genuinely feel discomfort that they were paying their government to fly a flag that symbolizes slavery, that symbolizes Jim Crow? Can't you see how taking that down is a good thing?

    Seriously, calm down and be happy about a good thing.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  10. #120
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverTrumpOrClinton tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    33,335

    Re: Jenny Horne's tearful Confederate flag speech shakes S. Carolina statehouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    That's how I read it, if not, no big deal.

    And it's more than that. It's a symbol of hate for a lot of people. That flag has a history that is not very pretty, and if I was black, I'd personally be really offended by it. Can't you see how someone would genuinely feel discomfort that they were paying their government to fly a flag that symbolizes slavery, that symbolizes Jim Crow? Can't you see how taking that down is a good thing?

    Seriously, calm down and be happy about a good thing.
    I'm not on the target list to be happy. This is for the black people. If they're happy, then good for them. I never knew anyone who owned a slave. I also never knew anyone who was a slave.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •