Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 228

Thread: Gun used by illigal immigrant in killing belonged to federal agent

  1. #161
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,033

    Re: Gun used by illigal immigrant in killing belonged to federal agent

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    registration is the prerequisite for a ban.
    Yeah... I remember when the government made it compulsory to register cars... now nobody drives. Or when I had to go and register my daughter's birth with the US gov. Now nobody has babies... or... well I think you're starting to see where I'm going with this.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #162
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Gun used by illigal immigrant in killing belonged to federal agent

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yeah... I remember when the government made it compulsory to register cars... now nobody drives. Or when I had to go and register my daughter's birth with the US gov. Now nobody has babies... or... well I think you're starting to see where I'm going with this.
    The other laughable thing here is, people don't realize how often crimes are solved because a police officer was able to run a plate number and get all the suspects information.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  3. #163
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,033

    Re: Gun used by illigal immigrant in killing belonged to federal agent

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    The other laughable thing here is, people don't realize how often crimes are solved because a police officer was able to run a plate number and get all the suspects information.
    I'm just using one of TD's most often used arguments to defend gun ownership. Hopefully, he'll see that both his previous arguments and mine are similar... and you know, drop the matter.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #164
    Sage
    Oozlefinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Near Baghdad by the Bay
    Last Seen
    06-20-16 @ 09:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,779

    Re: Gun used by illigal immigrant in killing belonged to federal agent

    Quote Originally Posted by CMPancake View Post
    I'm not arguing that Obama unilaterally used Executive action to reform immigration laws. What I am arguing is that prior to this, under Obama illegal immigrants were being deported at a far faster rate than under Bush or Clinton. Obviously the old laws were not working, why enforce legislation and laws that don't solve the problem?
    This is not because he was more strict, but because of increasing illegal immigration, the number of apprehensions skyrocketed.

    From roughly 10,000 per month in 2007 to almost 40,000 per month in 2014. Up from 20,000 per month in 2013.

    This is not because the current President is any more effective, but because the problem itself has ballooned out of control.
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. - John Stuart Mill

  5. #165
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    157,193

    Re: Gun used by illigal immigrant in killing belonged to federal agent

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Why is registration a prerequisite for a ban. If you use this logic, you can pretty much reason your way to making everything free to do no matter what it is. I mean, if you force people to register cars, it could lead to involuntary confiscation. If you force people to carry around money with serial numbers on it, it could result in tracking and confiscation of that money at any time. I mean, really, if you have no better argument then that, you just have to be chalked up as one of those people that we call "gun nuts" in anyone's book. You don't want to solve the problem, and you are more then happy or, simply just don't care what the consqeuences of doing nothing are.

    And I have also explained my reasoning several times to you and you keep asking the same question. Reasoning that seems logical and is actually completely factual. First, they need to ban sales at gun shows unless they are forced to do background checks. Second, they need to ban second hand sales without a background check, and third, every gun needs to be registered and traceable to its current owner. You can decide weather you want a DMV like process where you have to visit them and use them as the intermediary in order to make a legal sale to a 2nd party, or weather you want there to be laws drawn up where that responsibility is left on the seller and buyer themselves. Either way, the only way you will be able to put a dent into firearm paliferation into illegal hands, or hands they should not be in at all, is to come up with a registration and accountability process. No other solution will solve the problem and you will be left with the label of gun nut...
    car registration is a revenue device applied to items not constitutionally protected. every time there has been gun bans, registration has been used to accomplish it

    you support registration-you support gun bans and you claim that registration is not a tool to accomplish that

    btw where have you ever seen a politician arguing for car bans?
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  6. #166
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    157,193

    Re: Gun used by illigal immigrant in killing belonged to federal agent

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I'm just using one of TD's most often used arguments to defend gun ownership. Hopefully, he'll see that both his previous arguments and mine are similar... and you know, drop the matter.
    why is it that every group that supports a gun ban supports registration.

    your argument is moronic and there is no evidence that registration of guns in Hawaii allowed the solving of crime

    how are serial numbers on a gun going to be evident to observers?

    its like saying the VIN number on a vehicle was used to solve lots of crime

    STUPID ANALOGY YOU HAVE MADE
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  7. #167
    Sage


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,029

    Re: Gun used by illigal immigrant in killing belonged to federal agent

    Apparently, it was an FBI agents personal gun that was stolen out of his home or car or something like that. So unless the illegal immigrant was the one who stole it, which I highly doubt, then this new evidence helps back up his claim that he found the gun.

  8. #168
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,033

    Re: Gun used by illigal immigrant in killing belonged to federal agent

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why is it that every group that supports a gun ban supports registration.
    Source?

    your argument is moronic and there is no evidence that registration of guns in Hawaii allowed the solving of crime.
    Nope, my argument simply addressed the fallacious slippery slope nature of your statement. There are quite a few things which need to be registered to day, none have been banned.

    how are serial numbers on a gun going to be evident to observers? its like saying the VIN number on a vehicle was used to solve lots of crime. STUPID ANALOGY YOU HAVE MADE
    So I take it that you'll no longer make analogies between guns and cars?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #169
    Sage
    Oozlefinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Near Baghdad by the Bay
    Last Seen
    06-20-16 @ 09:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,779

    Re: Gun used by illigal immigrant in killing belonged to federal agent

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    btw where have you ever seen a politician arguing for car bans?
    BBC NEWS | Americas | California eyes SUV ban

    It failed, but there actually are politicians that want to ban selected groups of cars.
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. - John Stuart Mill

  10. #170
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,086

    Re: Gun used by illigal immigrant in killing belonged to federal agent

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTrumps View Post

    this is turning into a True Detective episode. and it will gain momentum and become a BIG part of the upcoming election. It could really give the GOP candidates traction, no doubt.
    Probably, since the GOP has little if much to capitalize on.

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •