Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 165

Thread: Subway's Jared Fogle the target of a police raid...

  1. #111
    Professor
    distraff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    02-24-16 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,300

    Re: Subway's Jared Fogle the target of a police raid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    Feds, police search home of Subway pitchman Jared Fogle | Fox News

    DEVELOPING: State and federal authorities descended Tuesday on the Indiana home of Subway spokesman Jared Fogle, just over two months after the former director of his charitable foundation was arrested on child pornography charges.

    Fogle, 37, who became the sandwich chain’s spokesman in 2000 after losing weight as a freshman at Indiana University by eating an all-Subway diet, lives in the Indianapolis suburb of Zionsville. Authorities did not say if Tuesday’s search warrants were connected to the arrest of his former associate.
    I love subway but you have to admit that he does look like a pervert. Would you want someone looking like that staring at your kids?
    444821-67886.jpg

    This investigation could go either way but someone only gets searched by the police if they have a good reason to think that the searched party might be guilty.

  2. #112
    Actually I am.

    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,388

    Re: Subway's Jared Fogle the target of a police raid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
    All too true. I don't see Fogle or Subway walking away from this unscathed.
    I see Subway walking away more than I do Fogle. Especially since the "porn rental business" has come to light. (there's a horrible pun in there, and I do apologize)

    While I am at it, let me just go on the record and say that I'd rather eat the bottom of my shoe than eat Subway. That is the absolute worst food I've ever had. Their meat has all the flavor of that crappy thin-sliced sandwich meat you get at the grocery store for a dollar for a small bag. Can't remember the name of it, but it's so overly processed, it has no flavor at all.

    And the bread - *shudder* - you can tell when somebody works at Subway because they smell like Subway. Subway has a sour odor when you go in (I think it's the bread) and the smell sticks to the clothes of everyone who works there.

    Publix makes good subs. PnC made good subs in NY before they closed. Jreck makes good subs. Larry's makes good subs.

    Subway should not even have "sub" in their name. And Firehouse isn't much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug
    Asking Sarah Palin to head up the Department of Education is like asking Hitler to head up a human rights advocacy group.

  3. #113
    Puer Aeternus
    Tsunami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-08-16 @ 03:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: Subway's Jared Fogle the target of a police raid...

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Yeah, it is. Or at the very least, it's paying someone to abuse children on your behalf. When you buy child porn, that's what you're doing: you're paying people to abuse children for you. In the end, what they're investigating is child abuse.

    While what Weiner did was assuredly wrong, I take a very big issue with the idea that seeing a dick pick is just as bad as being repeatedly raped.

    I am not saying there is evidence he did have child porn. What I'm saying is that seeing comments assuming he did (or anyone did), and then joking about it, is simply not funny.
    I excluded buying it in my post, but possession doesn't require purchasing or funding or producing. Computer files are not physical objects, they can be copied and acquired freely without expense. Downloading a movie for free doesn't fund the movie industry, and downloading child porn doesn't necessarily fund the child porn industry (if such a thing exists, which is doubtful).

    And even if it did somehow fund the non-existent child porn industry, that's STILL not the same as raping a child. Buying a fur coat isn't the same as abusing animals, watching a snuff film isn't the same as murder - the intent to harm isn't there, the decision-making process isn't participating, it's an entirely different moral question. Indirect harm isn't as much of a danger to society as direct harm, there's a certain element of entrapment there. Many people will purchase an illegal drug or stolen merchandise without realizing they are funding criminal activity that they would never participate in themselves. It should perhaps be a crime to fund those activities, but it's not the same level of crime as actually participating in the production of the product.
    Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude.

  4. #114
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,465

    Re: Subway's Jared Fogle the target of a police raid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    I excluded buying it in my post, but possession doesn't require purchasing or funding or producing. Computer files are not physical objects, they can be copied and acquired freely without expense. Downloading a movie for free doesn't fund the movie industry, and downloading child porn doesn't necessarily fund the child porn industry (if such a thing exists, which is doubtful).

    And even if it did somehow fund the non-existent child porn industry, that's STILL not the same as raping a child. Buying a fur coat isn't the same as abusing animals, watching a snuff film isn't the same as murder - the intent to harm isn't there, the decision-making process isn't participating, it's an entirely different moral question. Indirect harm isn't as much of a danger to society as direct harm, there's a certain element of entrapment there. Many people will purchase an illegal drug or stolen merchandise without realizing they are funding criminal activity that they would never participate in themselves. It should perhaps be a crime to fund those activities, but it's not the same level of crime as actually participating in the production of the product.
    You're claiming there's no child porn industry? Dude, there's entire rings. Yes, there is. And it's sufficiently high risk that I doubt anyone gives it away for free.

    But regardless, you can be charged with a crime for funding someone else to do it for you. Proxy murders (like hiring an assassin) are often charged with some degree of murder, along with the assassin. For example, Charles Manson was convicted of murder, despite that he made others do it for him. It's called the "joint responsibility" rule.

    Something like buying a fur coat is different; the buyer usually doesn't know how it was procured. But I don't see any reason why funding snuff would be different. I don't see how it's all that different from hiring an assassin.

  5. #115
    Puer Aeternus
    Tsunami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-08-16 @ 03:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: Subway's Jared Fogle the target of a police raid...

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    You're claiming there's no child porn industry? Dude, there's entire rings. Yes, there is. And it's sufficiently high risk that I doubt anyone gives it away for free.

    But regardless, you can be charged with a crime for funding someone else to do it for you. Proxy murders (like hiring an assassin) are often charged with some degree of murder, along with the assassin. For example, Charles Manson was convicted of murder, despite that he made others do it for him. It's called the "joint responsibility" rule.

    Something like buying a fur coat is different; the buyer usually doesn't know how it was procured. But I don't see any reason why funding snuff would be different. I don't see how it's all that different from hiring an assassin.
    It's different because it already happened. You can't hurt the victim more after they have been killed. Hiring an assassin is intending to do harm, it creates a danger to that individual. Buying a film of a murder that already happened in the past might enrich the assassin financially but it doesn't necessarily motivate them to do more illegal activity.
    Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude.

  6. #116
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,465

    Re: Subway's Jared Fogle the target of a police raid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    It's different because it already happened. You can't hurt the victim more after they have been killed. Hiring an assassin is intending to do harm, it creates a danger to that individual. Buying a film of a murder that already happened in the past might enrich the assassin financially but it doesn't necessarily motivate them to do more illegal activity.
    These people wouldn't sell these things if there was no money in it. They know damn well what they're doing.

  7. #117
    Sage
    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,925

    Re: Subway's Jared Fogle the target of a police raid...

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Nothing like a little advanced character assassination to liven up a Tuesday.

    Nobody knows why the search warrant was issued but he did know a guy who was arrested for child pornography a couple of months ago so..............
    Yeah. I don't get people who are so quick to declare someone guilty on basically nothing. I don't get that one. Maybe it is because I was falsely accused of something once upon a time, nothing legal mind you, but none the less it caused me grief. I had a sister-in-law one time accuse me of having an affair with my brother-in-law. Why? because she found a red half-slip in one of their family sleeping bags that belonged to me. When I was first hit with the allegations,, I was speechless. My mind couldn't even begin to sort through where in the world this was coming from and how did my slip end up in the sleeping bag in the first place? Well after sorting through it all, a couple of months prior, my niece came over for a sleepover my daughter was having. She and my daughter are close to the same age. The girls liked to play dress up. I gave them some slips, scarves, costume jewelry and high heels to play in. They slept in sleeping bags in the family room that night where they could stay up late watching movies, eating popcorn and root beer floats. They went to bed wearing the slips over their PJ's. It took my sister in law asking her daughter if she ever played dress up wearing that red half slip. The child thank God said yes. Though that was hard to go through, I guess it was a life lesson, to never ever be quick to accuse someone of something before you know all the facts.

    So far Jared has not been arrested. I'll wait to see if any charges come forth before commenting on his guilt or innocence. And for the record, there are a lot of us who enjoy Subway subs. I have my favorite. And for the record, someone who works at a cereal factory walks out smelling like cookies. Or one who has a job at a pizza place walks out smelling like pizza. Same with an employee at Subway So what? They went to work and earned their money.
    Last edited by vesper; 07-11-15 at 02:27 PM.

  8. #118
    Don't give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,631

    Re: Subway's Jared Fogle the target of a police raid...

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    I love subway but you have to admit that he does look like a pervert. Would you want someone looking like that staring at your kids?
    444821-67886.jpg

    This investigation could go either way but someone only gets searched by the police if they have a good reason to think that the searched party might be guilty.
    Probable cause does not equal guilt.

  9. #119
    Professor
    distraff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    02-24-16 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,300

    Re: Subway's Jared Fogle the target of a police raid...

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    Probable cause does not equal guilt.
    Where did I say he was guilty? I said that he looks like a pervert and that the police have a good reason to think that he is guilty (probable cause).

  10. #120
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,186

    Re: Subway's Jared Fogle the target of a police raid...

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Yeah. I don't get people who are so quick to declare someone guilty on basically nothing. I don't get that one. Maybe it is because I was falsely accused of something once upon a time, nothing legal mind you, but none the less it caused me grief. I had a sister-in-law one time accuse me of having an affair with my brother-in-law. Why? because she found a red half-slip in one of their family sleeping bags that belonged to me. When I was first hit with the allegations,, I was speechless. My mind couldn't even begin to sort through where in the world this was coming from and how did my slip end up in the sleeping bag in the first place? Well after sorting through it all, a couple of months prior, my niece came over for a sleepover my daughter was having. She and my daughter are close to the same age. The girls liked to play dress up. I gave them some slips, scarves, costume jewelry and high heels to play in. They slept in sleeping bags in the family room that night where they could stay up late watching movies, eating popcorn and root beer floats. They went to bed wearing the slips over their PJ's. It took my sister in law asking her daughter if she ever played dress up wearing that red half slip. The child thank God said yes. Though that was hard to go through, I guess it was a life lesson, to never ever be quick to accuse someone of something before you know all the facts.

    So far Jared has not been arrested. I'll wait to see if any charges come forth before commenting on his guilt or innocence. And for the record, there are a lot of us who enjoy Subway subs. I have my favorite. And for the record, someone who works at a cereal factory walks out smelling like cookies. Or one who has a job at a pizza place walks out smelling like pizza. Same with an employee at Subway So what? They went to work and earned their money.
    I'm sorry you had this difficulty, but I'm not surprised. I'm retired now, but when I was working it never ceased to amaze me the amount of gossip and rumour that would be spread by some people who seemed to get a kick out of causing a stir and didn't give a damn is there was no truth to any of it. And there are some people only too ready to assume the worst about anyone or anything.

    I do have trouble with the police/FBI leaving him kind of hanging out there to be bashed without any comment, good or bad. If it ends up that he's done nothing, I'd like to see some type of investigation into how the media found out about it and how the police/FBI handled it. A reputation shouldn't be so easily destroyed.
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •