Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: S.C. Senate approves removal of Confederate flag

  1. #11
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: S.C. Senate approves removal of Confederate flag

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Only cowards and PC mavens wish for that flag to be removed.
    No, only people who don't eat with their elbows on the table and don't throw their Mc Donald's bag out the window and say yes sir and yes mam to their elders wish for that flag to be removed.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  2. #12
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,061

    Re: S.C. Senate approves removal of Confederate flag

    Pretty quiet up in this thread. I wonder where the defenders of the state's legislative progress went?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #13
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    45,975

    Re: S.C. Senate approves removal of Confederate flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    S.C. Senate approves removal of Confederate flag



    In other news, Paramount Pictures has announced it will release a new version of Raiders of the Lost Ark in which all the swastikas are digitally removed.
    Right, because a fictional film set in a period where Nazis were around is totally the same thing as flying a swastika over a government building!

  4. #14
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    45,975

    Re: S.C. Senate approves removal of Confederate flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Pretty quiet up in this thread. I wonder where the defenders of the state's legislative progress went?
    Grrr LEGISLATIVE ACTIVISM

  5. #15
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,061

    Re: S.C. Senate approves removal of Confederate flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Grrr LEGISLATIVE ACTIVISM
    Nope. You're wrong. It's all about the PC mob. Never you mind that the SC Senate is controlled by Republicans and the vote was... 36... to 3?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #16
    Magic!

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    24,427

    Re: S.C. Senate approves removal of Confederate flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Right, because a fictional film set in a period where Nazis were around is totally the same thing as flying a swastika over a government building!
    Would it have killed you to read two more posts?

  7. #17
    Tavern Bartender
    #prouddeplorable
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    70,062

    Re: S.C. Senate approves removal of Confederate flag



    Racist bitch.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country spoke, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #18
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,647

    Re: S.C. Senate approves removal of Confederate flag

    Well within the state legislators right and the correct way in deciding to lower it. I had no issue with SC keeping it up, but at the same time I am personally of the belief that the only flags flown over a state building should be a state flag and the stars and stripes.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Last Seen
    12-09-15 @ 01:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    775

    Re: S.C. Senate approves removal of Confederate flag


  10. #20
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,464
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: S.C. Senate approves removal of Confederate flag

    I am conflicted. I am from SC. Lived there till I was 20 years old. Went to a highschool who's team names and mascot was the JF Byrnes Rebels.

    Rebelliousness is a part of the culture, there. Francis Marion, the swamp fox, is a cultural hero, with all kinds of crap named after him. You see, the culture of rebellion predates the civil war and the stars and bars. Sure, Charlestown is full of old money, and quite a few of them opted to side with the brits, but the majority fought a very dirty war right in their own back yards to over throw what they saw as tyranny. Again, predates the stars and bars.

    For me, that flag isn't about slavery. It's not about racism. It's a symbol of defiance. Now, it just happens that the LAST act of defiance was for something intolerably wrong. I don't wish to get into a debate about what the civil war was actually fought over, that's another thread. That's not my purpose. My purpose is to explain the culture of a people who use that flag as one of their key symbols. Ever watch the Dukes of Hazard? Well, they had that flag on the roof of their car, not because they wanted to own slaves, still. No, it's a symbol of defiance. And look at who they were. Law breakers. Moonshiners. You see the people that fly that flag proudly, you can almost bet that there are some laws they disagree with and therefor don't follow. I mean, that's WHY they make moonshine in the first place. The stuff isn't that good. But that's not the point. The point is to defy authority, especially when that authority is acting outside of it's curfew, like outlawing brewing unless heavy taxes are imposed. It was a tax on brewing that started the revolution in the first place!

    Do I agree that the flag should be flying over the state capitol? No. I think they might the correct decision to take it down, but I think they came to that decision publically for all the wrong reasons. The flag should not be flying over the CAPITOL because it is the flag of a DEFEATED NATION. You don't see a swastica flying over Berlin. You don't see a royalist flag from the french revolution flying. Mexico's flag no longer flies over california of texas. You become a new country, or part of a new country, you get rid of the vestiges of the old. You want to preserve history, there are these places called museums designated specifically to that task.

    But S.C.? Don't take the flag down because some nut job killed some people. Don't take it down because you fear political back lash, or national scrutiny. That just gives them venom to spit. Now it makes all of us rednecks from SC look like racist wife beater wearing gap toothed hicks who want to shout "The south will rise again!" while bemoaning the end of slavery. Those of us who defend the stars and bars don't do so because we agree with slavery, lol.
    "Half full or half empty doesn't matter. What matters is, you've only got half a glass...so what are you going to do about it?" - Me
    www.kohlerimaging.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •