Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 187

Thread: Video Shows Man Getting Punched by Cop After Resisting Arrest in Harlem

  1. #151
    Sage
    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,091

    Re: Video Shows Man Getting Punched by Cop After Resisting Arrest in Harlem

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostlyJoe View Post
    Right there is the entire problem with your logic in this thread: In a free country, we shouldn't harass, accost, assault or otherwise punish people because other people sometimes commit violent acts. Show me where this guy knifed, robbed, shot, raped or otherwise did ANYTHING aggressive before the cop stopped him and confiscated his identification.
    I go back to my original point. Follow the law. If you don't and are caught and then resist, you've earned whatever lumps you get. And you're delusional if you think living in a free country means you can carry a knife while you're dodging bullets.
    Нава́льный 2018

  2. #152
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Video Shows Man Getting Punched by Cop After Resisting Arrest in Harlem

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    Not everyone has the resources to hire an attorney.

    The problem is starting at the point of contact, it's starting with the police. We should address it there, not on the backend where the officer has even more power over the citizen as their testimony is ALWAYS given greater weight.

    It's not a even playing field.
    I agree, the problem is starting at the point of contact and we should address it there, but people who know little to nothing about the law should not be armchair lawyers on the side of the road with a police officer. The reason we are not the Middle East is because we resolve our problems by utilizing our justice system, instead of confronting each other in the streets. If you want to live in that kind of environment, there are plenty of violent places around the world where you are free to do so.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  3. #153
    Professor
    GhostlyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,854

    Re: Video Shows Man Getting Punched by Cop After Resisting Arrest in Harlem

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    I go back to my original point. Follow the law. If you don't and are caught and then resist, you've earned whatever lumps you get. And you're delusional if you think living in a free country means you can carry a knife while you're dodging bullets.
    Here's an illuminating article In new York city you can buy a pocket knife at home Depot and be arrested for posessing it walking out the door. Stage hands, carpenters, plumbers, etc have been arrested for essentially carrying their work tools. And of course there's wide racial disparity in the enforcement of these laws. Yet you defend what is clearly an overly broad and abusive law. So if your town decides to outlaw a tool that you use everyday, don't complain when an officer punches you in the face on your way home from work.

  4. #154
    Sage
    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,091

    Re: Video Shows Man Getting Punched by Cop After Resisting Arrest in Harlem

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostlyJoe View Post
    Here's an illuminating article In new York city you can buy a pocket knife at home Depot and be arrested for posessing it walking out the door. Stage hands, carpenters, plumbers, etc have been arrested for essentially carrying their work tools. And of course there's wide racial disparity in the enforcement of these laws. Yet you defend what is clearly an overly broad and abusive law. So if your town decides to outlaw a tool that you use everyday, don't complain when an officer punches you in the face on your way home from work.
    Okay, in my state (Mississippi) you can own any knife and openly carry it or carry it in your vehicle, but I would not carry ANY knife, even a pocket knife, concealed on my person for the reasons outlined in the article you linked. What the article described is unjust and a misapplication of the law, but that's something for the New York legislature and courts to address. If they're not doing it and the law continues to be misinterpreted or misapplied then maybe it's time for some civil rights lawsuits.

    But, once again, the issue in this thread when is it appropriate to resist arrest? My answer is never.
    Нава́льный 2018

  5. #155
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    24,883

    Re: Video Shows Man Getting Punched by Cop After Resisting Arrest in Harlem

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Why? If you ask me law enforcement is just carrying out rules I never agreed to follow.
    Why? Because you are in a nation of laws and not a nation of men... meaning what you "agree" to means jack.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  6. #156
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: Video Shows Man Getting Punched by Cop After Resisting Arrest in Harlem

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Why? Because you are in a nation of laws and not a nation of men... meaning what you "agree" to means jack.
    That doesn't offer me a very sound reason to care what the officer thinks. The only reason I have to care what he thinks is because he has back up. If he didn't have that and he got the grand idea of assaulting me I would kill him without hesitation.

  7. #157
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    24,883

    Re: Video Shows Man Getting Punched by Cop After Resisting Arrest in Harlem

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    That doesn't offer me a very sound reason to care what the officer thinks. The only reason I have to care what he thinks is because he has back up. If he didn't have that and he got the grand idea of assaulting me I would kill him without hesitation.
    Ahhhh... so you aren't libertarian as much as you are an anarchist.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  8. #158
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: Video Shows Man Getting Punched by Cop After Resisting Arrest in Harlem

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Ahhhh... so you aren't libertarian as much as you are an anarchist.
    You mean like how a libertarian is for voluntary association and freedom of choice. You mean like how both of those are in fact violated when I'm made a member of a country against my will.

  9. #159
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    24,883

    Re: Video Shows Man Getting Punched by Cop After Resisting Arrest in Harlem

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    You mean like how a libertarian is for voluntary association and freedom of choice. You mean like how both of those are in fact violated when I'm made a member of a country against my will.
    No, libertarians may not be fans of big guv but libertarians are for the rule of law. Anarchist want to ignore law because they take a, "meh... I don't feel like abiding by it so I'll go kill a cop enforcing a law I don't like" attitude.

    Massive difference between the two and you just admitted to aligning with the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  10. #160
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: Video Shows Man Getting Punched by Cop After Resisting Arrest in Harlem

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    No, libertarians may not be fans of big guv but libertarians are for the rule of law. Anarchist want to ignore law because they take a, "meh... I don't feel like abiding by it so I'll go kill a cop enforcing a law I don't like" attitude.

    Massive difference between the two and you just admitted to aligning with the latter.
    If I don't consent to being a member of your organization then I don't consent to its rules. It's pretty straight forward.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •