Page 49 of 55 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 548

Thread: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

  1. #481
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,268

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    You assume that wealthy women have an interest in marrying many men. I see little evidence to support it. And really all I need it a rational state interest. A societal imbalance makes that cut easily.
    At the very least a compelling state interest and show that the current law is narrowly tailored (there goes the "we need to outlaw polygamy altogether because some men will take far too many wives" argument).

    Then again, gay marriage was legalized without any consideration of state interests. The opinion ignored precedent on that. Not saying that would happen in a future case, just that it could.
    Last edited by Taylor; 07-05-15 at 09:15 AM.

  2. #482
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    08-12-16 @ 12:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    I wish you luck. There are lessons that you can learn from the SSM issue: 1) that it is possible to turn around a blanket rejection of your position to an acceptance with reason, struggle and hard work, and 2) that you've about 50 years of hard yakka ahead of you, since LGBT faced similar hostility to that you are confronting as recently as the 1960s.
    Or, he could just move to Yemen, or Afghanistan, instead.

    such progress!
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  3. #483
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,901

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    At the very least a compelling state interest and show that the current law is narrowly tailored (there goes the "we need to outlaw polygamy altogether because some men will take far too many wives argument).

    Then again, gay marriage was legalized without any consideration of state interests. The opinion ignored precedent on that. Not saying that would happen in a future case, just that it could.
    It doesn't have to be a "compelling state interest". It only has to be a reasonably related state interest. The state interests argued in the cases were considered, and rightfully rejected because they either weren't real state interests or they weren't related in any way to allowing/denying same sex couples from getting married.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #484
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-22-15 @ 03:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,867

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    So... then when is the state going to force the unmarried to wed against their will?

    I was referring to the fact that if someone cannot find a partner because polygamy has created a shortage of available women, oh god-damned well.

    Did you even read the chain of posts I was commenting to before throwing this comment in there?
    I wasn't debating... it was just a flippant comment.
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  5. #485
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,268

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It doesn't have to be a "compelling state interest". It only has to be a reasonably related state interest. The state interests argued in the cases were considered, and rightfully rejected because they either weren't real state interests or they weren't related in any way to allowing/denying same sex couples from getting married.
    No, state interests were not mentioned, no test was applied.

    I don't know where everyone is getting the idea that you need something less than a compelling state interest, did we recently negate decades of legal precedent?

  6. #486
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,682

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    Here is a typical polygamous family with Dad, 4 wives and 17 children (that's a total of 22 people in the family). If all the marriages were legal, I don't think an insurance company is going to want to cover them for the same premium that they cover the typical american family of 4.

    The show follows the lives of advertising salesman Kody Brown (46), his wives Meri Barber (44), Janelle (45), Christine (42) and Robyn Sullivan (36) and their seventeen total children. In the first season the show televised Brown's courting and eventual marriage of his fourth wife, Robyn Sullivan, who herself had three children from a previous marriage.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sister_Wives
    ROFLMFAO!!!! You're basing typical poly families off a TV reality show?!? Seriously? If anyone else tried that, say with Wives of Jersey Shore (or whatever the title of the show with Sookie in it) as to how New Jersey women behave, you and everyone on this site would have laughed them back to Essembly (dated reference for any who might get it.). You need to do a lot better to show the Brown family as the typical poly family.


    So, you miss the point. The premium for family coverage can be capped at 4 people simply because that is on average how many people are in the typical american family, per the census data. If that were to swell substantially due to the introduction of polygamy, the health insurance policies would have to be rewritten to cover that with a new family class called "plural" or something, unless you want to pay for their expenses in your rate, and I do not.
    Now you need to show that poly families are of such a size as to raise this average substantially. As noted, I do not have an issue if a policy increases in the premiums if the family size goes above, say, 8, but that applies to 8, regardless of the combination of children/adults.


    In fact the Dad may not be able to afford his plural family period. I posted above that 65% of plural families are on welfare, and there is a reason for that. The father cannot cover all the expenses for his large family without help from the state. That is another argument against polygamy as a viable institution, it is not generally economically viable.
    That is a skewed statistic based upon the FLDS where the women are typically not working. Using them as the example of polygamy is like using WBC as the example of Christianity. I have yet to see a study that went about finding the other poly families in the country today.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  7. #487
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,682

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Only if you assume that there are far more of them than there are gay men, bi with other men, or just plain asexual. is there any evidence that this is the case?
    And thus makes my point. Talk about an imbalance rarely seems to take into account all these variations in sexuality and even those who, while sexually active, may never want to get married.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  8. #488
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,682

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Let's see here -- we have some Middle eastern countries where the more powerful men have many wives, where men in general control the sexuality of women, where ancient patriarchal patterns prevail, and where the pent-up sexual frustration of the men without sexual outlet manifests itself in all sorts of truly delightful ways.


    ...... and we need to regress our society back to such a primitive state why, again?
    False premise. Why ever would you assume that by making polygamy legal in this country that we would not allow women to have multiple husbands, or poly families where there are more than one husband AND more than one wife?
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  9. #489
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,682

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    I wish you luck. There are lessons that you can learn from the SSM issue: 1) that it is possible to turn around a blanket rejection of your position to an acceptance with reason, struggle and hard work, and 2) that you've about 50 years of hard yakka ahead of you, since LGBT faced similar hostility to that you are confronting as recently as the 1960s.
    As did interracial couples. But most of the poly community, FLDS idiots aside, recognize that we need other changes to our laws before we can really go ahead and push for legal acceptance. The Utah cohabitation law is a prime example.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  10. #490
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,682

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Then again, gay marriage was legalized without any consideration of state interests. The opinion ignored precedent on that. Not saying that would happen in a future case, just that it could.
    As was interracial marriage. Your point?
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

Page 49 of 55 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •