Page 43 of 55 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 548

Thread: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

  1. #421
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,968

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Nothing is a right until it is a ruled as such. Whether they should have that right or not, depends on much more than just this ruling, like you are trying to claim.
    Of course that is not true. The Supreme Court has made clear that the fundamental rights guaranteed by the First, Second, and Fourth Amendments existed before the Constitution. It does not create those rights, but only guarantees them against undue restriction by government. There are also other rights that the Court has mentioned which are not enumerated in the Constitution, but unquestionably exist independent of it. I don't need a ruling by any G--damned court to have a right to my life, for example, nor does anyone else.

  2. #422
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,297

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    There seems to be an implied strict scrutiny standard now, but that doesn't mean any manner of marriage is now required. Your mistake is expanding every argument to absolutes. I can do the same. If we don't allow polygamy, we have to ban heterosexual marriage. Because.
    That is precisely the flaw in the SCOTUS ruling backing the lazy argument for gay marriage. By making the state's interest in marriage into an endorsement of "love" you can no longer argue that any loving relationship is out of bounds. Gay marriage activists never bothered to make a unique argument for the value of gay marriage, instead choosing a lazy shortcut which has opened Pandora's box.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  3. #423
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,297

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I've always cared about both. I don't know why you want to apply certain positions to anyone or any side. Who is this mysterious person or group telling you not to care about "other people's marriages or immigration"?
    It's amazing that you are able to ask that with a straight face.

    Please tell me why you think that particular position is something that is legal rather than the actual legal arguments made for and against things.
    One more time in English?
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  4. #424
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,901

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Of course that is not true. The Supreme Court has made clear that the fundamental rights guaranteed by the First, Second, and Fourth Amendments existed before the Constitution. It does not create those rights, but only guarantees them against undue restriction by government. There are also other rights that the Court has mentioned which are not enumerated in the Constitution, but unquestionably exist independent of it. I don't need a ruling by any G--damned court to have a right to my life, for example, nor does anyone else.
    No, the rights only existed, were only recognized to exist when we said they did. Otherwise, we wouldn't have had to say it. Doesn't matter what others believed/believe.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #425
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,268

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    It is a right, unless you are related to your partner?
    That seems to be the case.

  6. #426
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    09-20-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    That seems to be the case.
    Only prior to the 26th of June.

  7. #427
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    06-28-16 @ 10:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,654

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    But it does. The argument made (by SCOTUS) was for any two people, not any two people who are not related.

    It is always interesting to see people who claim to be for equality now saying related people cannot have that equality. Really shows you that there is no marriage quality difference in republicans and democrats.
    If your argument had any real merit then incest was legalized long before SSM sex. Man and Woman. Brother and Sister. Mom and son. So you bringing up this apparent new inclusion for incest couples because of the SSM Ruling is weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  8. #428
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    09-20-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    If your argument had any real merit then incest was legalized long before SSM sex.
    There was a constitutionally protected state interest in keeping marriage away from gays and incest couples prior to the 26th.

  9. #429
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    06-28-16 @ 10:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,654

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    There was a constitutionally protected state interest in keeping marriage away from gays and incest couples prior to the 26th.
    And at one point blacks away from whites in marriage. And women from voting... etc... etc.

    Arguments for homosexuality have proven that there is no damage to society or the individuals involded in such a relationship. Therefore government prejudice towards homosexuals has been removed through specific court orders.

    None has happened for incest.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  10. #430
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    09-20-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    None has happened for incest.
    Obergefell happened.

Page 43 of 55 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •