Page 42 of 55 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 548

Thread: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

  1. #411
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 04:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,652

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    I don't think marriage should require advanced mathematics.

    It would require math on the level of what my 6 year old could compute on his fingers. Hardly, advanced.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  2. #412
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    But it did. The argument is for any two people, that clearly includes incest couples.
    No, it didn't. Those weren't within the arguments being made.

    By your logic, it applies to two people of any age. Then an adult could marry a child, a baby even. Because within your logic, any two people, not just those who could not consent or were outside of age limits. That is why your logic fails. Those were not under review. This only applies to those laws, bans being argued, not other laws/bans not being considered then. That is how the SCOTUS decisions work.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #413
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    09-20-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post

    By your logic, it applies to two people of any age.
    Contracts are not contracts without consent.

  4. #414
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Contracts are not contracts without consent.
    Marriage is a legal relationship establishment, not a contract per se. 15/16 year olds can get married in some states, under certain circumstances without even parental permission, yet are not legally able to sign a contract in other things.

    "Delware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, and Oklahoma: Allow pregnant teens or teens who have already had a child to get married without parental consent."

    Teen Marriage License Laws, Minors Requirements, by State
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #415
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,325

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Not long. It was just another example of the "mob rule" mentality which some people use, when it is convenient for them. When they are on the other side of the debate... the minority.... that is when the rights and liberties of the individual suddenly seem to matter.
    That is an adequate description of your argument, yes.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  6. #416
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,268

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    From a value judgement perspective, it excludes some people from marriage. Wealthier men can horde wives at the cost to less prvileged men creating a societal imbalance. At least same-sex marriage was largely inclusive since gays and lesbians were not particularly likely to form lasting marriages with opposite sex individuals.
    With the way things are going, I think there will be plenty of wealthy women happy to snatch up the cuter ones. Just look at who's graduating college and getting advanced degrees these days, and who in the younger generation is having a harder time finding a job.

  7. #417
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    09-20-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Marriage is a legal relationship establishment, not a contract per se.
    It is a contract. Contracts require consent.

  8. #418
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    It is a contract. Contracts require consent.
    Again, then why are the laws different per state when it comes to age of marriage? Heck, in Nebraska, you have to be 19 to get married. Why can't 18 year olds get married if it is just a contract?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #419
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,325

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    What business of yours is it to prevent OTHER PEOPLE from legal recognition of their union/marriage????
    I am pointing out to you that your argument for mob rule against polygamy is invalid based on SCOTUS ruling.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  10. #420
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    09-20-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Again, then why are the laws different per state when it comes to age of marriage?
    Because states can regulate contracts?....?

Page 42 of 55 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •