Page 29 of 55 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 548

Thread: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

  1. #281
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    All marriages are "just on paper" and simply a matter of the public conscious from a factual sense. Anything beyond that is simply, at best, a matter of faith....and while one persons faith may deem it "only on paper", another's may not. You, nor anyone else, is the arbiter of truth and absolutes in this matter.
    Do you realize how you just shut yourself down? You say no one is an arbitrer of truth while you act like an arbiter of truth.

    Anyway I never claimed to decide these things, I just call it like it is. When I say the sky is blue that doesn't mean it's blue because I said so. Please take your pathetic dismissal tactics elsewhere.
    Last edited by Jerry; 07-02-15 at 04:56 PM.

  2. #282
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    37,220

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    So... because issues may arise out of it.....is that enough reason to deny it?

    If that were true....we would have never expanded west...... "uncharted territory" and all that.....
    You have a point there.

    Of course, we're a long way from having plural marriage the law of the land, but there really is no reason not to, once the details are ironed out of course.


    Interestingly enough, a lot of those who made their way west were Mormons, who left what was then the US over persecution, which was based largely on plural marriage.
    Can't we just turn Congress off and then turn it back on again?



  3. #283
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,700

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    Um, now you kinda do. Kennedy said the marriage is fundamental to a persons dignity and therefore marriage is a right. Can you have that with no partner?
    So... then when is the state going to force the unmarried to wed against their will?

    I was referring to the fact that if someone cannot find a partner because polygamy has created a shortage of available women, oh god-damned well.

    Did you even read the chain of posts I was commenting to before throwing this comment in there?

  4. #284
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,700

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastIndependent View Post
    I don't see why it's a big deal other than it is the government who is ultimately defining a marriage. I'd say remove marriage from law, contract civil unions between consenting people, and let "marriage" be handled by whoever is doing the marrying. As long as it remains between consenting persons I couldn't care less
    So are you too concerned about the term "marriage"??? Bless your heart.

    In my religion, marriage is defined by a life union between consenting persons.

    Therefore, everyone else shall continue to call it marriage.

  5. #285
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,700

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    "Most Americans don't know on a personal level incestuous or polygamous couples, therefore the fight for their rights won't be in the forefront of American politics."
    Who gives a ****.

  6. #286
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,271

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    So then you support the rights of District, Superior, Appellate, and Supreme court judges to base their decision of law on their religious beliefs?
    I can't imagine how that would arise, but if they were unable to perform their job, I suppose that person could recuse himself or herself from the case.

    People less level-headed and far more emotional no doubt believe that it is unconstitutional to recuse oneself and would demand that the judge be removed from office for not doing their job and not serving "all the people."

  7. #287
    Professor
    TheLastIndependent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    08-29-15 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,545
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    So are you too concerned about the term "marriage"??? Bless your heart.

    In my religion, marriage is defined by a life union between consenting persons.

    Therefore, everyone else shall continue to call it marriage.
    Not necessarily. I personally see marriage as a religious institution and therefore has no place in government
    "The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool." : Stephen King

    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto." Thomas Jefferson

  8. #288
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    46,382

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by akrunner88 View Post
    Well unlike gay marriage, which is supported by the majority of Americans and most Americans know a gay person, polygamy is a uniquely conservative Christian issue.

    Along with incestuous relationships, and relations between humans and animals, these are unique family set-ups that mostly apply to conservatives in the "car on the lawn states." Most Americans don't know on a personal level incestuous or polygamous couples, therefore the fight for their rights won't be in the forefront of American politics.

    Since it is a uniquely conservative issue and phenomenon, conservatives will have to chalk up the arguments for pro-incest and pro-polygamous marriages. You can start with the OT, which is a unique selling point among our nations most religious and might win you sympathy in the courts.
    Its funny that you ridicule other forms of relationship but think a relationship involving two people of the same gender in a coupled relationship is 'normal'.

  9. #289
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    18,298

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I am no homophobe, as I support same sex marriage fully.

    I also support polygamy..

    Can you provide a reason why polygamy should be unlawful?
    There is no legal precedent for multiple partners and it too often is an excuse to raise prey for pedophiles. A man with 2 wives that want a divorce would lose everything too. They each would get half his assets leaving him nothing. How would you like that?

  10. #290
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,700

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    I think that's a case of coincidence rather than causation. Had not the Romans continued their devolvement into their hedonistic society, out sourced their military to the operation of those from conquered lands, who knows, they may still be around.
    I see you ignored the "Freedom" part of my argument.....

Page 29 of 55 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •