Page 20 of 55 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 548

Thread: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

  1. #191
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,321

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    So then you can explain, without using of scripture or other hogwash, what is inherently immoral about polygamy.

    Please, explain these "major issues".
    I will use scripture and you can't make me not use scripture. if you look in the bible any comparison of marriage is 1 man and 1 women.

    however as study after study points out.
    The problem with polygamy

    all you need to know
    almost all studies show that polygamist marriages are not only unhealthy for women but for children and men in general.

  2. #192
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,814
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post

    You need to back that up. Unless you are playing a word game, which I can come up with one possiblity to cover your statement, last I knew the Catholic Church along with many others do not allow polygamy in any form.
    I don't need to back up anything. My religion dictates that even if there's no evidence you should just have faith in my comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    Blacks aren't committing more crime. That's the point. They use drugs at similar rates yet they get harsher sentences and more convictions.
    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    I disagree. Just because their drug usage may be no different does not mean their propensity to commit crime is the same or equal.

  3. #193
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,191
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    I don't need to back up anything. My religion dictates that even if there's no evidence you should just have faith in my comments.
    Glad to see in YOUR religion you're GOD.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #194
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverTrumpOrClinton tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    33,335

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I don't give a **** if it's sexual orientation or not, it's a marriage choice. And now that we're redefining marriage, what the hell. Chaff with the wheat, baby, chaff with the wheat.
    I am completely lost about any argument that is about marriage and includes the words "born with". Nobody is ****ing born married. Irrelevant.

    Make polygamy legal.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #195
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    11,871

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    It is not "elemental" to democracy. It is a key element of a republic. Which is the form of government we have.

    Democracy, pure and simple, is "mob rule". In the case of permitting marriages, the "majority" has claimed superiority over the minority for far too long in this country.
    Exactly - our forefathers created a Constitutional Republic expressly to AVOID the tyranny of pure Democracy!

    They were very smart guys!
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  6. #196
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    11,871

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    As an aside -

    The couple (triplet? Triumvirate?) look happy enough in their photos & video:

    Heavy.com - 'Nathan Collier: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know'
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  7. #197
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,814
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Glad to see in YOUR religion you're GOD.
    That's often how religion works in case you haven't been paying attention. God's words always seem to get twisted into whatever that individual person wants.
    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    Blacks aren't committing more crime. That's the point. They use drugs at similar rates yet they get harsher sentences and more convictions.
    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    I disagree. Just because their drug usage may be no different does not mean their propensity to commit crime is the same or equal.

  8. #198
    Tavern Bartender
    #prouddeplorable
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    69,995

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I am completely lost about any argument that is about marriage and includes the words "born with". Nobody is ****ing born married. Irrelevant.

    Make polygamy legal.
    I'm not sure about the "born with" phrase.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country spoke, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #199
    #NeverHillary
    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,657
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    So then, you believe that "Mob rule" should be the way we govern?
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    So if "the mob" chose to legalize Slavery, this would be acceptable to you? Consequences to the minority be damned?
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    This is the type of thing you agree to when you believe in "mob rule".
    No, not believing in mob rule.

    But I am believing that society, and the people living in it, need some sort of expected and accepted constraints imposed by society. Without self restraint the society will collapse into chaos.

    The SCOTUS SSM ruling is causing some chaos, but that's the law of the land, so we are left only to hope that this chaos and craziness, such as polygamists wanting equal standing, passes. It may not, and society will be worse for it if this chaos doesn't pass. This chaos may become the new 'normal', and if so, it'll be to society's, and everyone living in that society, detriment.

    Whatever's gonna happen is gonna happen, and there's nothing that you nor I can do is going to change that a single farthing. We just get to sit on the sidelines, watch all this craziness unfold and
    Nancy Pelosi said: “We have to pass it, to find out what’s in it.” A Doctor called to a radio show & said: "That's the definition of a stool sample"
    "Under my plan of a cap-and-trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket," Barack Obama January 2008

  10. #200
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,683

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    I will use scripture and you can't make me not use scripture. if you look in the bible any comparison of marriage is 1 man and 1 women.

    however as study after study points out.
    The problem with polygamy

    all you need to know
    almost all studies show that polygamist marriages are not only unhealthy for women but for children and men in general.
    Scripture goes both ways.... as god allowed multiple wives in many places in the bible.

    However, as we have religious freedom in the USA, our laws should not be required to be in lock-step with Judea-Christianity only, as that would imply that those not following those belief systems are 2nd class citizens, and it would violate the 1st amendment of the state respecting an establishment of religion (specifically, respecting one over the other).

    Now, in as far as your link there.... it amounts to limiting women access to marry who they want to because there will be unwed men. We don't demand perpetually single women and men to marry just for the sake of "society" so we shouldn't limit women to only married men either. Women, and men, should be free to enter into marriage contracts with whomever and how many ever they see fit.

    Then there is the "because wives won't get along" argument. The same holds true in monogamous relationships. But that is also on a case by case basis. To claim that this will ALWAYS happen is prejudicial to those who make it work just fine.

    Then it pulls data from 19th century households to determine the effects on children. I am sorry to say that society has changed quite a bit since the 19th century.....

    If your arguments cannot be applied to ALL cases of polygamy, and have to dig back to the 19th century, then I am afraid they do not hold water.

Page 20 of 55 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •