Page 18 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 548

Thread: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

  1. #171
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,692

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    The bold is really not subject to interpretation. The Bible is clear.

    Jesus cannot sin, and therefore never has. The Bible is clear on that point as well.
    You are now arguing points not mentioned or implied.

    And sorry, but my point is that the Bible is clear on nothing. As I have said it has been "clear" to a lot of horrible crap, from cults to wars, it has been a "clear" message to whoever wants to use it for their own ends.
    "Small people talk about people, average people talk about events, great people talk about ideas" Eleanor Roosevelt

  2. #172
    Tavern Bartender
    #prouddeplorable
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    69,997

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    No, polygamy is not a sexual orientation, and the bigotry you cite doesn't exist. Your point is rubbish.
    Bigotry exists, because supporters of gay marriage don't want the same equality for others.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country spoke, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #173
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12,335

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    You are now arguing points not mentioned or implied.

    And sorry, but my point is that the Bible is clear on nothing. As I have said it has been "clear" to a lot of horrible crap, from cults to wars, it has been a "clear" message to whoever wants to use it for their own ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Agreed, but the bold is subject to interpretation.

    And as pointed out, one or two theology courses relieves one of the notion that anything is cut and dried. As several years, my theological core is that it is a matter of your one on one relationship with the Father through the Son, the living God who speaks to us daily. And in the end, He is the ultimate authority.

    If you know Him and how he led his ministry, from the social sins He deliberately committed, the woman at the well, consorting with drunks, lepers and tax collectors and NOT the authorities of the time, I have to ask myself with whom would associate with today? The more I study the more I question whether a clergy was ever intended, and that we all were supposed to be apostles.
    The bold is what I was referring to. Your points are well taken FAL, I see no reason to beat this one to death. Have a great day my friend, I gotta get to work.

  4. #174
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Bigotry exists, because supporters of gay marriage don't want the same equality for others.
    Again, where's the bigotry? Why does the polygamy argument hinge on gays? Why do conservatives suck at making arguments?

  5. #175
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,683

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    I thought about it a lot too. It is elemental to democracy, where minorities are to be protected. I really don't think that the government should be allowed to impede religious practice or free expression but for security reasons and where other solutions are impossible.
    It is not "elemental" to democracy. It is a key element of a republic. Which is the form of government we have.

    Democracy, pure and simple, is "mob rule". In the case of permitting marriages, the "majority" has claimed superiority over the minority for far too long in this country.

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Nope. Bigots on the left will try to stop this from happening, but their bigotry will fail. When my sister and I show up looking for a marriage license is when their heads will explode.
    I guess you are just desperate, or perhaps that is the best you can do!

  7. #177
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,457

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Bigotry exists, because supporters of gay marriage don't want the same equality for others.
    Oh, they don't? I must not have gotten that memo from the pro-SSM rule book you're implying exists. Because I do.

    In fact, I think marriage should go back to being purely a social institution, and people should be able to designate the legal rights currently attached to it to whomever they please.

  8. #178
    Sage


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,029

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Don't know....
    Why not, it's your state? My state is probably more conservative than yours and it has a large gay population.

    And it is irrelevant..... as the Rights and Liberties of the people are important whether their numbers are large, or small.

    You didn't seem to think it was irrelevant when you said there weren't enough magistrates to marry gays in your state....that's why I asked....


    Look.... maybe you haven't been to North Carolina.... but pretending that every county has 2-50 Civil Magistrates working on any particular day is a stretch of the imagination.

    ....Also, pretending that in the rural parts of North Carolina (which is most of it) that there will be a Magistrate who DOESN'T have this "deeply held religious belief" is also quite laughable.

  9. #179
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,683

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Removing all constraints on the electorate on this, and other, matters isn't going to do the society any good. More likely that it'll implode and fall apart and lose all cohesion.
    So then, you believe that "Mob rule" should be the way we govern?

    So if "the mob" chose to legalize Slavery, this would be acceptable to you? Consequences to the minority be damned?

    This is the type of thing you agree to when you believe in "mob rule".

  10. #180
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,683

    Re: Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Just more evidence that government should remove itself from the wedding business altogether.

    Gays getting married doesn't really mean they're married. I certainly don't recognize it as marriage (like I don't recognize many heterosexual marriages either). It's nowhere near the equivalent of my marriage.

    It takes more than a piece of paper. Marriage is about faith and raising children. It's not a "state" matter. That's why this issue hasn't really mattered to me because it changes nothing.

    But if the state wants to get involved with the "freedom" nonsense of it all, then anybody should be allowed to marry anyone, or anything, and as many as they please. I mean, marriage is about equality and freedom, right?

    This is what happens when you mess with the fabric of our culture.
    Marriage is a contract.

    Legally recognized contracts require those who enter into them to be of legal age and of sound mind.

    Thus, this fallacy of marrying any "thing" is nonsensical idiocy.

Page 18 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •