Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 83

Thread: California Law Requires Vaccinations to Attend School.

  1. #51
    Sage
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    6,229

    Re: California Law Requires Vaccinations to Attend School.

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    My points are not extreme. Generally does not prevent infections. And there is a period before the symptoms are known.
    They ARE extreme because the fact is that risk of harm from most childhood illnesses is minor, and among those who suffer the most, the risk of death is even less. Look at the statistics for polio when it was a problem. Only 0.05% of children exposed actually suffered from paralysis (1 out of every 200), and even then at most only 10% of those who suffer paralysis die. WHO | 10 facts on polio eradication

    Now I reiterate, I have nothing against vaccinations. I have no problem with complying with vaccination requirements myself when I travel outside the USA, or when I was in the Army, or otherwise on a case by case basis. On the other hand, I stopped taking annual flu shots decades ago after I realized the only time I get sick is immediately after those shots. I think people have a right to refuse, and in the case of parents who fear the effects on their children, to refuse on the child's behalf.

    I don't even mind the restriction from sending the kids to public school. I disagree with denying them the right to establish a private school so that they can send their kids to associate with other kids while the parents go out and earn a living.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  2. #52
    Sage


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,810

    Re: California Law Requires Vaccinations to Attend School.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    They ARE extreme because the fact is that risk of harm from most childhood illnesses is minor, and among those who suffer the most, the risk of death is even less. Look at the statistics for polio when it was a problem. Only 0.05% of children exposed actually suffered from paralysis (1 out of every 200), and even then at most only 10% of those who suffer paralysis die. WHO | 10 facts on polio eradication

    Now I reiterate, I have nothing against vaccinations. I have no problem with complying with vaccination requirements myself when I travel outside the USA, or when I was in the Army, or otherwise on a case by case basis. On the other hand, I stopped taking annual flu shots decades ago after I realized the only time I get sick is immediately after those shots. I think people have a right to refuse, and in the case of parents who fear the effects on their children, to refused on the child's behalf.

    I don't even mind the restriction from sending the kids to public school. I disagree with denying them the right to establish a private school so that they can send their kids to associate with other kids while the parents go out and earn a living.
    And on that we differ.
    If my post offends you, I deeply Apple-O-Jize.

  3. #53
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: California Law Requires Vaccinations to Attend School.

    I guess liberals can no longer claim you can send your kid to private school to get around their invasion of your chiild's body.

  4. #54
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 02:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: California Law Requires Vaccinations to Attend School.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    The difference is that a person in prison has (typically) caused a direct harm for which he is being punished. No one is supposed to be sent to prison when he hasn't done anything wrong, but MIGHT do something wrong.
    Recklessly endangering another is doing something wrong. And given the risk that the diseases we vaccinate against pose to children in a crowded environment like school, not vaccinating recklessly endangers innocent people. Yes, it's very very important to protect a person's bodily sovereignty. But it's also important not to let innocent kids get sick and die.

    It's a balance of hardships. The hardship of a little injection is minimal. Obviously, if the kid has a serious risk of harmful side effects, then they should be exempted. It's about trying to minimize harm. And the difference between active or passive... that doesn't matter.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    6,229

    Re: California Law Requires Vaccinations to Attend School.

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    And on that we differ.
    Yes we differ. Probably because I don't feel the need to be completely protected by nanny-state ideology. The ideology that advocates absolute safety is a requirement of all social interaction, leading to the corollary that liberty can be limited if one's actions have even the slightest possibility of a harmful result.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  6. #56
    Sage


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,810

    Re: California Law Requires Vaccinations to Attend School.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I guess liberals can no longer claim you can send your kid to private school to get around their invasion of your chiild's body.
    If you want State -Fed dollars- No- If you wish to pony up- go ahead.

    Note that they could in all probability be barred from participating at those schools that have sporting events with other schools.
    If my post offends you, I deeply Apple-O-Jize.

  7. #57
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: California Law Requires Vaccinations to Attend School.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Recklessly endangering another is doing something wrong. And given the risk that the diseases we vaccinate against pose to children in a crowded environment like school, not vaccinating recklessly endangers innocent people. Yes, it's very very important to protect a person's bodily sovereignty. But it's also important not to let innocent kids get sick and die.

    It's a balance of hardships. The hardship of a little injection is minimal. Obviously, if the kid has a serious risk of harmful side effects, then they should be exempted. It's about trying to minimize harm. And the difference between active or passive... that doesn't matter.
    Oh? So should people with a cold that go out shopping or to work get arrested or fined? All you have to support your case here is a handful of deaths in over decades of time from measles and an outbreak that affected less than 700 people. Real dangerous stuff, bro.

  8. #58
    Sage


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,810

    Re: California Law Requires Vaccinations to Attend School.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Yes we differ. Probably because I don't feel the need to be completely protected by nanny-state ideology. The ideology that advocates absolute safety is a requirement of all social interaction, leading to the corollary that liberty can be limited if one's actions have even the slightest possibility of a harmful result.
    No.
    Me I go with the science.
    If my post offends you, I deeply Apple-O-Jize.

  9. #59
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: California Law Requires Vaccinations to Attend School.

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    If you want State -Fed dollars- No- If you wish to pony up- go ahead.

    Note that they could in all probability be barred from participating at those schools that have sporting events with other schools.
    Yes, because private schools are in complete control if the government gives them money. Not.

  10. #60
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 02:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: California Law Requires Vaccinations to Attend School.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Oh? So should people with a cold that go out shopping or to work get arrested or fined? All you have to support your case here is a handful of deaths in over decades of time from measles and an outbreak that affected less than 700 people. Real dangerous stuff, bro.
    There were only a handful because we vaccinate everyone. And the hardship from catching a cold is minimal. Why are you only capable of going to extremes and not dealing with reality? And why do you not understand that different things are addressed differently. Reality doesn't deal in blanket rules.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •