Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 378

Thread: 50 soldiers killed in ISIS attack on Egyptian Army's Sinai checkpoints

  1. #351
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: 50 soldiers killed in ISIS attack on Egyptian Army's Sinai checkpoints

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    There is no Independent Party. These unaffiliated voters have diverse views and it's not clear that a single party could appeal to all of them.
    Yes, I understand that there's many independent parties. My point is that in the independent world, good leadership is needed, and that they need a coalition working together to galvanize the similarities and marginalized the differences whereby a single independent party could be formed that would be able to threaten the ass and the elephant!
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  2. #352
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-06-16 @ 09:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,646

    Re: 50 soldiers killed in ISIS attack on Egyptian Army's Sinai checkpoints

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Yes, I understand that there's many independent parties. My point is that in the independent world, good leadership is needed, and that they need a coalition working together to galvanize the similarities and marginalized the differences whereby a single independent party could be formed that would be able to threaten the ass and the elephant!
    IMO, you're raising a good topic for discussion, but it strays from the issue covered in this thread. As a result, the opportunity for a full discussion is probably limited in this thread. Perhaps you can start a thread in another forum for this discussion?

    Having said that, we do agree about the importance of good leadership and an ability to work with others to effectively govern. Whether a strong third party is needed to bring about such an outcome is a matter of debate.

    Finally, on the matter of Egypt, I believe the U.S. should be supportive of the Egyptian government's efforts given Egypt's strategic relationship with the U.S. and U.S. interests at stake. But aside from that, there's little the U.S. can do to materially change the situation e.g., sending U.S. military advisers or combat forces would probably do little and might actually make things worse.

    This is an internal domestic matter and a complex one at that. It involves the Islamic State, but there is also overlap with some other Islamist movements, not to mention resentment among supporters of such movements tied to the current political situation in Egypt. Disentangling legitimate and extreme actors requires detailed and nuanced knowledge of the on-the-ground situation that the U.S. simply does not possess.

  3. #353
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: 50 soldiers killed in ISIS attack on Egyptian Army's Sinai checkpoints

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    IMO, you're raising a good topic for discussion, but it strays from the issue covered in this thread. As a result, the opportunity for a full discussion is probably limited in this thread. Perhaps you can start a thread in another forum for this discussion?

    Having said that, we do agree about the importance of good leadership and an ability to work with others to effectively govern. Whether a strong third party is needed to bring about such an outcome is a matter of debate.

    Finally, on the matter of Egypt, I believe the U.S. should be supportive of the Egyptian government's efforts given Egypt's strategic relationship with the U.S. and U.S. interests at stake. But aside from that, there's little the U.S. can do to materially change the situation e.g., sending U.S. military advisers or combat forces would probably do little and might actually make things worse.

    This is an internal domestic matter and a complex one at that. It involves the Islamic State, but there is also overlap with some other Islamist movements, not to mention resentment among supporters of such movements tied to the current political situation in Egypt. Disentangling legitimate and extreme actors requires detailed and nuanced knowledge of the on-the-ground situation that the U.S. simply does not possess.
    What the Middle East needs is less not more US military adventurism. In fact, either the destabilization of the Middle East is USFP that transcends administrations, or we've had successive administrations that have been incompetent and simply utterly failed in the region, and neither are comforting!
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  4. #354
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    59,807

    Re: 50 soldiers killed in ISIS attack on Egyptian Army's Sinai checkpoints

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    What the Middle East needs is less not more US military adventurism. In fact, either the destabilization of the Middle East is USFP that transcends administrations, or we've had successive administrations that have been incompetent and simply utterly failed in the region, and neither are comforting!
    Still waiting for your solution to the problem with ISIS since it does appear that you don't understand radical Islam at all and the goal of ISIS? Do you now what a Caliphate is and what the goal is of radical Islam?

  5. #355
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: 50 soldiers killed in ISIS attack on Egyptian Army's Sinai checkpoints

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Still waiting for your solution to the problem with ISIS since it does appear that you don't understand radical Islam at all and the goal of ISIS? Do you now what a Caliphate is and what the goal is of radical Islam?
    US policy has made radical Islam a beneficiary, I'm not interested in your petty finger pointing. The failures in the Middle East are a bi-partisan effort over decades. Start thinking in terms of prevention and you won't have to loose sleep over your fear of terrorist organizations.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  6. #356
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    59,807

    Re: 50 soldiers killed in ISIS attack on Egyptian Army's Sinai checkpoints

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    US policy has made radical Islam a beneficiary, I'm not interested in your petty finger pointing. The failures in the Middle East are a bi-partisan effort over decades. Start thinking in terms of prevention and you won't have to loose sleep over your fear of terrorist organizations.
    Radical Islam is a cancer and has to be eradicated. Your belief that you can negotiate or treat evil is misguided at best. They want you dead or converted yet you continue to blame your own country. That is typical and also misguided. Our country has made mistakes but radical Islam has always been there and hasn't changed their charter. Learn about Radical Islam before blaming your country solely. Now give me your solution instead of being a Monday morning quarterback.

  7. #357
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:51 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,939

    Re: 50 soldiers killed in ISIS attack on Egyptian Army's Sinai checkpoints

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You are brilliant, you know what I believe? Interesting. Please post where I ever said we invaded Iraq because of 9/11?
    And I asked you if you believed Iraq would have been invaded were it not for 9/11. You can play dodgeball here as long as you like but its obvious you are deep in denial.

  8. #358
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    59,807

    Re: 50 soldiers killed in ISIS attack on Egyptian Army's Sinai checkpoints

    And I said read the resolution which was after 9-11. No one knows if we would have invaded

  9. #359
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:51 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,939

    Re: 50 soldiers killed in ISIS attack on Egyptian Army's Sinai checkpoints

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    And I said read the resolution which was after 9-11. No one knows if we would have invaded
    Bush knew it would guarantee him his second term post 9/11 by sating the need for anti muslim vengeance with the US electorate . In the final analysis thats all that really mattered

  10. #360
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: 50 soldiers killed in ISIS attack on Egyptian Army's Sinai checkpoints

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Radical Islam is a cancer and has to be eradicated. Your belief that you can negotiate or treat evil is misguided at best. They want you dead or converted yet you continue to blame your own country. That is typical and also misguided. Our country has made mistakes but radical Islam has always been there and hasn't changed their charter. Learn about Radical Islam before blaming your country solely. Now give me your solution instead of being a Monday morning quarterback.
    Your not going to eradicate extremist ideology. You keep blaming your own country every time you blame the current issue on Obama. It's when I point out the failures in the ME by both parties that you get defensive. Containment is the answer, and US policies for decades have done the opposite.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •