Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 258

Thread: Supreme Court to Weigh Dispute Over Union Fees

  1. #21
    Gradualist
    TheDemSocialist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in the Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,333
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Supreme Court to Weigh Dispute Over Union Fees

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Then work to repeal that law instead of working to force people into your group.
    What? I dont want to repeal that federal law..... There is a clear understanding that when you agree to take the job you are represented by a union, this is a union workplace, you pay dues, and they bargin on your behalf. You have the right to vote up or down the contract as well.

    Who cares? I'm doing business with an employer, not fellow workers.
    And that employer agreed to make his shop a union shop

    I shouldn't be forced to join some group of the workers when I'm agreeing to be paid for my work.
    Thus agreeing to a union shop if you agree to work there

    Adding on different memberships to the employer arrangement is illegitimate nonsense.
    No its not. Additional arrangements are put in all the time in contracts.

    It's like, hey, you want to join my club and when I say hell yeah, you say I have to join another group that fellow club members founded that I may or may not be interested in. There is no real merit to such nonsense.
    There is clear merit; you just accepted a job where the contract was agreed upon by a collective bargaining force.
    Just a democratic-socialist in the heartland of America.CHECK OUT MY TUMBLR(BLOG)HERE "Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression, and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

  2. #22
    Educator SocialDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 02:30 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    922

    Re: Supreme Court to Weigh Dispute Over Union Fees

    I wonder if all the right-wingers worried about the amount of money required of employees for union dues are worried about the amount of money taken out of employee paychecks to pay management?
    Social democrat is no longer an accurate description of my views.

  3. #23
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: Supreme Court to Weigh Dispute Over Union Fees

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    What? I dont want to repeal that federal law..... There is a clear understanding that when you agree to take the job you are represented by a union, this is a union workplace, you pay dues, and they bargin on your behalf. You have the right to vote up or down the contract as well.
    Why should someone be forced to be part of your group when they take a job? Because you and your buddies started a group? Does starting a group with some buddies mean you have a right to force people be part of it? If so, I was unaware of that.


    And that employer agreed to make his shop a union shop
    So you think that is how this works, do you? Do you know what would happen to me if I didn't allow my workers to unionize?

    Thus agreeing to a union shop if you agree to work there
    Again, agreeing to work for an employer for a salary is just that, agreeing to work for an employer for a salary. The workers are not involved in the transaction at any point in time, sorry.

    No its not. Additional arrangements are put in all the time in contracts.
    So because something is done often it's legitimate now? I guess racism in the past was ok too then. Hell, I bet hating on gays was completely fine and dandy too. Gosh, your logic is just fantastic.

    There is clear merit; you just accepted a job where the contract was agreed upon by a collective bargaining force.
    A bargaining force the employer has no legal right by law to not negotiate with or not put in a contract for future employment. Try again if you want. Do you perhaps remember what happened to Montgomery ward? Something that I might was ordered to happen by your hero and chief FDR?
    Last edited by Henrin; 06-30-15 at 05:44 PM.

  4. #24
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: Supreme Court to Weigh Dispute Over Union Fees

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialDemocrat View Post
    I wonder if all the right-wingers worried about the amount of money required of employees for union dues are worried about the amount of money taken out of employee paychecks to pay management?
    That doesn't even make sense.

  5. #25
    Educator SocialDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 02:30 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    922

    Re: Supreme Court to Weigh Dispute Over Union Fees

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    That doesn't even make sense.
    You're criticizing unions for taking money out of people's paychecks in the form of union dues when that's the exact same thing that employers do. They have direct control over their employees' paychecks, and the employer's paycheck itself is provided by the labor of the workers.
    Social democrat is no longer an accurate description of my views.

  6. #26
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: Supreme Court to Weigh Dispute Over Union Fees

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialDemocrat View Post
    You're criticizing unions for taking money out of people's paychecks in the form of union dues when that's the exact same thing that employers do. They have direct control over their employees' paychecks, and the employer's paycheck itself is provided by the labor of the workers.
    God, do I ever hate Socialist logic. You are agreeing to work in exchange for a salary. Why would the employer decide to hire help if everything that is gained from the arrangement goes to the hired help? Don't you think they would just decide to not hire help if that was the case?

  7. #27
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    73,358

    Re: Supreme Court to Weigh Dispute Over Union Fees

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Actually, there is. The union doesn't just represent the dues paying members. It has to represent all of the employees.
    Straight facts like that are going to only confuse the anti-union crowd. You really need to stop.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #28
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,769
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Supreme Court to Weigh Dispute Over Union Fees

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Straight facts like that are going to only confuse the anti-union crowd. You really need to stop.
    The fact that law requires the union to represent everyone has nothing to do with an individual's right to opt out.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  9. #29
    Educator SocialDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 02:30 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    922

    Re: Supreme Court to Weigh Dispute Over Union Fees

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    God, do I ever hate Socialist logic. You are agreeing to work in exchange for a salary.
    The same principle applies to a job with a union. You agree to work somewhere where you will be represented by a union, and in exchange you pay union dues.

    Why would the employer decide to hire help if everything that is gained from the arrangement goes to the hired help? Don't you think they would just decide to not hire help if that was the case?
    I'm not advocating for not paying managers. The relationship between worker and management is by nature an exploitative one. In order to correct for this, anti-union legislation needs to be repealed in order to give workers more power in the fate of their jobs, their wages, and their benefits. Government also needs to play a role here, and should mandate that all corporate management boards have 50% of their seats reserved for union representatives elected by the workers, ensure that all workers are paid a living wage, have adequate benefits, and work in humane safety conditions. I'd also favor encouragement of worker self-management as an alternative business model.
    Social democrat is no longer an accurate description of my views.

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    73,358

    Re: Supreme Court to Weigh Dispute Over Union Fees

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    The fact that law requires the union to represent everyone has nothing to do with an individual's right to opt out.
    It has everything to do with the gross injustice and sheer unfairness of having to represent a selfish free loader whose very actions toward you would destroy you if embraced by a majority.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •