Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 326

Thread: KKK Plans Confederate Flag Rally at SC Capitol

  1. #41
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,065

    Re: KKK Plans Confederate Flag Rally at SC Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Give that stupid meme a rest. You don't understand why the southern racists were Democrats? For one reason only, they would not be associated with the "party of Lincoln". That all changed when Johnson signed the Civil Rights act because apparently that was worse than freeing the slaves. Now the racists are all Republicans because the GOP speaks their language.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    I'm glad to see you acknowledge that the Democratic Party has been the party of race discrimination from the start. One of our two Progressive presidents, Woodrow Wilson, was a Southerner who was a virulent racist. He was especially offended by the idea of blacks attending his beloved Princeton. Wilson, who had a PhD., concealed his racism behind a veneer of intellectual sophistication. Today's white leftists try to hide their race prejudice by stridently claiming it infects only white conservatives, against whose vicious hatred they are always trying to protect blacks. But just listen to the nasty garbage that leftist dim bulbs never tire of slinging at Justice Thomas! I always wonder if these sorry specimens hate Clarence Thomas because he refuses to humbly follow the statist party line, as they expect good Negroes to do, or because he was uppity enough to marry a white woman.

    Quote Originally Posted by HorseLoverGirl View Post
    No it actually started by Scotsmen in the South, fed up with the fact that the South had no protection after the war. See the Scottish call themselves clans, so they banded together to be the ones to protect the South because the police of the time weren't doing squat. When they were no longer needed, the KKK was disbanded, only to be hijacked in the 1960's into the racist bunch we know today
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #42
    Gradualist
    TheDemSocialist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in the Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,348
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: KKK Plans Confederate Flag Rally at SC Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Having problems with basic English?
    No. So your position is now that every party is a liberal party? Uhhh, what?
    Just a democratic-socialist in the heartland of America.CHECK OUT MY TUMBLR(BLOG)HERE "Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression, and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

  3. #43
    Educator HorseLoverGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Lexington North Carolina
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 06:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,207

    Re: KKK Plans Confederate Flag Rally at SC Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    your point?
    Life is short, ride a horse

  4. #44
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    26,253

    Re: KKK Plans Confederate Flag Rally at SC Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    No. So your position is now that every party is a liberal party? Uhhh, what?
    Both parties are big government. Both parties are anti-fiscal-responsibility. Both parties are authoritarian. Both parties want to control what the people can do. Sounds pretty liberal to me.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  5. #45
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:44 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    4,217

    Re: KKK Plans Confederate Flag Rally at SC Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    I'm not "OK" with any of that stuff and it takes a pretty damned warped reading of what I wrote to come up with that theory.

    The flag is a symbol of southern heritage and its meaning is defined by the actions of southerners. I would like to note that part of that heritage is not only overcoming the effects of the war and the history of racism but THRIVING since those practices were abolished. Furthermore, the people of Charleston (and across the south) appointed themselves with a level of dignity and grace after the shooting at Emanuel AME that we should all aspire to. THAT is the heritage of the south.
    I wouldn't say the south is thriving. The southeastern United States are generally our poorest areas.

    That said, I view the confederate flag as a symbol of hatred and oppression that should have been removed from official use and honor 150 years ago. South Carolina started flying it at their capital in the 1960s as a show of opposition to civil rights of black Americans.

    After the civil war, why not come up with a new flag to display southern heritage? Why continue using the flag that also has hatred and oppression associated with it?

    I do not agree with banning sales of any flag, and it should certainly be taught about and displayed in museums and educational sites and institutions, and I have no problem with people flying it if they want to, I just don't agree that a government should continue to fly it and honor it.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,739

    Re: KKK Plans Confederate Flag Rally at SC Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    I'm not "OK" with any of that stuff and it takes a pretty damned warped reading of what I wrote to come up with that theory.
    Then perhaps you should read what you wrote. You certainly seem to be saying that "we should accept political setbacks," in the midst of a tear about how This Aggression Will Not Stand.

    It's a freakin' flag, dude. It's a scrap of cloth, from a war the South lost over 150 years ago. Time to let go.


    The flag is a symbol of southern heritage....
    Please, spare us such nonsense.

    It was a battle flag, flown in a war to allow the South to keep its slaves. You might as well try to tell me that "Strange Fruit" isn't about lynching because you've listened to the instrumental version so many times that you've forgotten the lyrics.


    I would like to note that part of that heritage is not only overcoming the effects of the war and the history of racism but THRIVING since those practices were abolished. Furthermore, the people of Charleston (and across the south) appointed themselves with a level of dignity and grace after the shooting at Emanuel AME that we should all aspire to. THAT is the heritage of the south.
    Have you NOT noticed that it was the people of Charleston, and across the South, that are the ones pushing to remove said flag?

    Reconstruction's over. You aren't ruled by a bunch of Northern carpetbaggers anymore. If South Carolina is taking the Confederate battle flag off of state monuments, then you are the ones making those decisions.

    The fact that it's the KKK stepping up to defend the Confederate flag really says it all. It's a hate organization, seeking to defend a flag whose *cough* heritage is stained with the suffering and blood of millions.

    I suggest y'all find a new symbol. I recommend the magnolia.


  7. #47
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,065

    Re: KKK Plans Confederate Flag Rally at SC Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by HorseLoverGirl View Post
    your point?
    There is too much silliness in those posts to bother with them.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #48
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    46,077

    Re: KKK Plans Confederate Flag Rally at SC Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Both parties are big government. Both parties are anti-fiscal-responsibility. Both parties are authoritarian. Both parties want to control what the people can do. Sounds pretty liberal to me.
    Liberal =/= authoritarian.

    Best marketing ploy from the right-wing authoritarian party you despise so much: convince people that liberal = big government, conservative = small government.
    Last edited by Deuce; 06-30-15 at 05:00 PM.

  9. #49
    Educator HorseLoverGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Lexington North Carolina
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 06:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,207

    Re: KKK Plans Confederate Flag Rally at SC Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    There is too much silliness in those posts to bother with them.
    In other words you have no point
    Life is short, ride a horse

  10. #50
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    26,253

    Re: KKK Plans Confederate Flag Rally at SC Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Liberal =/= authoritarian.

    Best marketing ploy from the right-wing authoritarian party you despise so much: convince people that liberal = big government, conservative = small government.
    Seriously? Have you been around any liberals lately?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •