Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 326

Thread: KKK Plans Confederate Flag Rally at SC Capitol

  1. #271
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,496

    Re: KKK Plans Confederate Flag Rally at SC Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Was not the American flag being wielded during those events as well? Why not take that one down too?
    You asked and I responded to that. See the para you block quoted starting with "apples and oranges."

  2. #272
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,388

    Re: KKK Plans Confederate Flag Rally at SC Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMOSS View Post
    And, if you look at who is in there now, they are republicans. As was pointed out many times, when the civil rights movement happened, when the democrats signed onto the civil rights movement, they jumped ship, and become republicans. That was what the whole 'Southern Strategy' by Nixon was about.
    Nope. The myth of the "Southern Strategy" helps Democrats sleep at night, but in reality in the period where the "Southern Strategy" was supposed to be working the South still voted Democrat or independent, not Republican. The only time in that period where the South voted Republican was in 1972 like the rest of the country because Vietnam appeared to be ending successfully, Nixon had successfully brokered a nuclear arms treaty with the Soviet Union, and opened diplomatic relations with China. In 1976 the south voted Democrat again. It wouldn't be until Reagan's second term that the Southern vote would go solidly Republican and it had nothing to do with racism.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  3. #273
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,496

    Re: KKK Plans Confederate Flag Rally at SC Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Nope. The myth of the "Southern Strategy" helps Democrats sleep at night, but in reality in the period where the "Southern Strategy" was supposed to be working the South still voted Democrat or independent, not Republican. The only time in that period where the South voted Republican was in 1972 like the rest of the country because Vietnam appeared to be ending successfully, Nixon had successfully brokered a nuclear arms treaty with the Soviet Union, and opened diplomatic relations with China. In 1976 the south voted Democrat again. It wouldn't be until Reagan's second term that the Southern vote would go solidly Republican and it had nothing to do with racism.
    In 1980 Reagan carried every Southern state but Georgia, Carter's home state.

    Bottom line is the white Southern vote has completely shifted in the South, from overwhelmingly Democratic to overwhelmingly Republican, and the reverse is basically true for the black vote.

  4. #274
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,503

    Re: KKK Plans Confederate Flag Rally at SC Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So, because something is "co-opted" it becomes that?

    Seems to me that many in the white supremacy movement also fly the American flag....Should we take that down as a racist symbol too?
    the swastika, once a peaceful religious symbol of buddhists and hindus, was later co-opted by the nazis

    think it would be appropriate to now fly a flag bearing that same symbol

    ditto for the confederate battle flag in the present era. it no longer represents what it once did, like the ancient swastika
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    Quote Originally Posted by BrewerBob View Post
    The Democrats couldn't be more tone deaf if they had their eardrums incinerated with a hot poker.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Why confuse things with facts?

  5. #275
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,016

    Re: KKK Plans Confederate Flag Rally at SC Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    the swastika, once a peaceful religious symbol of buddhists and hindus, was later co-opted by the nazis

    think it would be appropriate to now fly a flag bearing that same symbol

    ditto for the confederate battle flag in the present era. it no longer represents what it once did, like the ancient swastika
    So, now the Confederate flag is equal to the Nazi flag in its symbolism? That's way over the top bubba.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #276
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,503

    Re: KKK Plans Confederate Flag Rally at SC Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So, now the Confederate flag is equal to the Nazi flag in its symbolism? That's way over the top bubba.
    just as the swastika was co-opted to represent something hateful it formerly was not, that is now the circumstance of the confederate battle flag. what was once a proud symbol of southern heritage has devolved thru its use by racists to now be found the symbol of racial discrimination
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    Quote Originally Posted by BrewerBob View Post
    The Democrats couldn't be more tone deaf if they had their eardrums incinerated with a hot poker.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Why confuse things with facts?

  7. #277
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,496

    Re: KKK Plans Confederate Flag Rally at SC Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    just as the swastika was co-opted to represent something hateful it formerly was not, that is now the circumstance of the confederate battle flag. what was once a proud symbol of southern heritage has devolved thru its use by racists to now be found the symbol of racial discrimination
    Agree. But I hate to keep pointing out that it wasn't just unnamed "racists" who corrupted the flag - these people included Governors and legislators who in SC rose that banner to protest civil rights, the legislature in Georgia who incorporated it into their state flag to signal their support for Jim Crow, Wallace who stood in front of that flag speaking in support of segregation, the Dixiecrats - basically an offshoot of the Democratic party that had as a major organizing force the support for Jim Crow, etc.

  8. #278
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    24,920

    Re: KKK Plans Confederate Flag Rally at SC Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Nope. The myth of the "Southern Strategy" helps Democrats sleep at night, but in reality in the period where the "Southern Strategy" was supposed to be working the South still voted Democrat or independent, not Republican. The only time in that period where the South voted Republican was in 1972 like the rest of the country because Vietnam appeared to be ending successfully, Nixon had successfully brokered a nuclear arms treaty with the Soviet Union, and opened diplomatic relations with China. In 1976 the south voted Democrat again. It wouldn't be until Reagan's second term that the Southern vote would go solidly Republican and it had nothing to do with racism.
    Now it's just a myth huh? lol

    Even though The GOP apologized for doing it.


    Even though Lee Atwater explained how the GOP used it in his day.


    It never really happened folks. It was all just a dream.

    Good God the levels people go through to whitewash history.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  9. #279
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,016

    Re: KKK Plans Confederate Flag Rally at SC Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    just as the swastika was co-opted to represent something hateful it formerly was not, that is now the circumstance of the confederate battle flag. what was once a proud symbol of southern heritage has devolved thru its use by racists to now be found the symbol of racial discrimination
    Only by Northern liberals who don't understand other cultures, and have no interest in tolerance.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #280
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,503

    Re: KKK Plans Confederate Flag Rally at SC Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Only by Northern liberals who don't understand other cultures, and have no interest in tolerance.
    no. i would speculate most of us are opposed to flying the confederate battle flag over government property or while affixed to government issued items
    if that were not the case, i don't think the SC elected representatives would have taken their action to strike the confederate flag from flying on public property
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    Quote Originally Posted by BrewerBob View Post
    The Democrats couldn't be more tone deaf if they had their eardrums incinerated with a hot poker.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Why confuse things with facts?

Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •